Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2016, 08:21   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Turning into the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
When I've had this happen to me I've turned down wind and backed into the wind, then completed the turn with the stern to. Works quite well and our boats are quite similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yes, I've gotten out of tight spots this way. Awkward, but less of a fight.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 16:32   #17

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

If you can't get the bow into the wind, change your thinking...and put the stern into the wind.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 16:33   #18

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Yes, I've gotten out of tight spots this way. Awkward, but less of a fight.
The trick is to let the wind work for you, not fight it.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 22:24   #19

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Some boats just don't maneuver well.

While it doesn't apply to singlehanders, I saw some impressive seamanship on a small freighter in Panama. The wind was blowing hard down the main channel. The ship was trying to turn from a side channel into the main channel and the wind. It wasn't going to make it, and it was headed for the yacht club docks (and my boat). All of a sudden a guy pops out of the wheelhouse, runs the length of the ship, and drops the anchor on short scope. The anchor grabs enough that the bow swings into the wind. The anchor is raised, and the ship steams off.
Second this..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 23:34   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
When I've had this happen to me I've turned down wind and backed into the wind, then completed the turn with the stern to. Works quite well and our boats are quite similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I had to do the same with a Cheoy Lee Luders 30 some time back. Very tight quarters and the wind was not going to give me room, even to try goosing the wash against the rudder. I ended up backing out, and didn't even hit one boat! Backing up I did have to straighten her up a couple times with a few gooses.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:23   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
I have a Tashiba-31 sailboat with a full keel. I recently completed a trip where I got to the marina just as the wind started whipping up strong. Just prior to entering the marina I called ahead for a slip and was told there would be a number of them on the guest pier and this would allow a straight approach - just pull over and dock

Ok, so I'm now in the marina going down along the guest pier and there is nothing - a few spaces that might hold a dinghy. The pier - and the wind - are on my port side. I'm getting close to the end and reach the conclusion that I have to turn around. The boat backs like a pig on ice.

Not enough room to turn at speed, so I try to back and fill. I'm now stuck perpendicular in the fairway and unable to get the bow beyond 45 degrees to the wind. I'm seriously stuck. Also I'm alone.

As luck had it, there was a large fishing boat just up the fairway and the tide was pushing me that way. I backed and filled - basically heading down the fairway sideways until I got into the wind shadow of the fishing boat where I was finally able to get the bow up and get the hell out of there.

Is there any way to turn a boat like mine into the wind?
I suppose you have a wrong propeller, either a solid blades or even worse a folding prop.
Considering the fact that you have a full keel boat, mooring into strong winds becomes a difficult operation. You should upgrade to a feathering propeller and all will become much easier !
EWOL Props is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:09   #22

Quote: "crank wheel over hard and goose engine."

Ah - Zeehag :-) You made my day. I LOVE pithy answers ;-0)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:16   #23

Learn which way your prop walk works. Turn the direction that will allow you to use that.
-turn, go to neutral
-Reverse the engine and gun it , back to neutral
-Reverse the rudder and gun it ahead.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 14:53   #24

Boat: Tashiba-31

Thanks for all the advice. My boat actually has pretty good prop walk and on a calm day I can spin it almost in it's own length. The challenge is when the wind is blowing and determining the point at which the wind is just too strong to bring the bow into the wind. Experience pays all and as I get more familiar with her and get out and practice in different conditions then I will figure it out.
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind