Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2013, 11:03   #1

Solo Mooring Pickup

I need the best way to pick up a mooring while solo saiong
EliotR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 11:16   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Solo Mooring Pickup

I would suggest two things,- 1-Approach the mooring into the vector sum of the wind and current so, after pick-up, you will fall back directly away from the mooring. Of course, if other boats are moored nearby, this approach will be in the same manner as all the others are facing. 2- Stop in a position to pick up the mooring when the mooring ball is directly abeam of your position at the cockpit so that you can leave the boat in idle while you take the short two steps to retrieve the tether line and walk it to your bow cleat as your vessel drifts aft with the wind and current. If the wind is stronger and may blow your bow off; then, best pick up the mooring a little more forward of your cockpit so you can prevent the bow from turning away.

I think more people have trouble single handed when they have the mistaken thought that a mooring must only be picked up at the bow.
Old 19-06-2013, 14:19   #3

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

There have been a few threads on this subject.

Since my boat has a stern cockpit and a sugar scoop stern, I found that the easiest way is to rig at the bow a line more than twice the length of the boat, lead that line to the stern outside of shrouds and lifelines, then motor astern against wind and current until the stern just touches the mooring buoy. Then, I go down in the stern, thread the line in the buoy ring and swiftly go to the bow, in time to make the line fast to a cleat before there is much tension in it. There is no risk of catching the mooring with the propeller: if I am going too fast, a slight burst of ahead power will stop the boat.

If sailing, I rig at the bow a polyamide (sinking) line about one boat length, tie a very wide bowline at the other end and approach the mooring buoy as if it were a MOB: full and by, very slow and on my lee side. When I'm close to the buoy, I release the sheets and just drop the bowline on the buoy. The line sinks around the mooring, stopping the boat.

After that, I can take my time to rig something more permanent.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 14:50   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Solo Mooring Pickup

Do a pass to get the feel.. go round again then furl the headsail come in parallel then round up and head for the buoy under main alone..
If you've judged it right the buoy should be just under your bow as you ease to a stop... release the mainsheet and stroll forward picking up the boat hook on the way and hook the pick up line... simple..
Under motor its so easy I don't need to explain

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 14:51   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Back up to it.
Thats what I do.
Run a line from the mooring cleat forward and bring it aft to the swim platform. Then back up to the moring and thread it throgh. Let the wind do the rest.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 14:56   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
.................... then motor astern against wind and current...................
This is totally hilarious to me! NOT that Hydra is not completely correct, but because I would have no hope ever to back my boat with a full keel contiguous with the rudder against the wind and current. The point is that the correct or best answer depends on the configuartion of your boat. fin keel, cutaway foot, fin keel, center cockpit, aft cockpit.......

Your best answerr will depend upon your boat!
Old 20-06-2013, 02:40   #7

Boat: kuiper 32

A second buoy on a short rope makes it heaps easier to pick up your mooring with a boat hook just sail or motor up along side and pick it up.
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 04:17   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

I was hoping this thread would start talking about the best way to pick up Bouys...........(one for the UK folks!).

But failing that, the answer will depend on a) boat and b) the bouy.

But generally speaking picking up a simple (swinging) mooring is as easy as it gets with "docking". Come upwind or uptide (whichever has the strongest on your boat) and either pick up at the bow, amidships or astern (whichever works easiest for you). If any current or wind will need a bit of way on the boat when knocking into neutral and walking forward etc as only so much boat weight that can hold when she starts slipping back. One of those things where practise makes perfect (at least most of the time).

FWIW, me never comfortable with the from the cockpit approach due to the risk of boat and prop (or rudder) running over the bouy and snagging a line - but that as much to do with how the mooring bouys are set up here locally. Me tends to aim for down the side of the bow with the goal of simply getting a first fix on and then getting her tied on properly later - once "she ain't goin' anywhere" is achieved then have all the time in the world to adjust things, including running her forward a few yards (to take the weight off) if needed.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 04:42   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I was hoping this thread would start talking about the best way to pick up Bouys...........(one for the UK folks!).

But failing that, the answer will depend on a) boat and b) the bouy.

But generally speaking picking up a simple (swinging) mooring is as easy as it gets with "docking". Come upwind or uptide (whichever has the strongest on your boat) and either pick up at the bow, amidships or astern (whichever works easiest for you). If any current or wind will need a bit of way on the boat when knocking into neutral and walking forward etc as only so much boat weight that can hold when she starts slipping back. One of those things where practise makes perfect (at least most of the time).

FWIW, me never comfortable with the from the cockpit approach due to the risk of boat and prop (or rudder) running over the bouy and snagging a line - but that as much to do with how the mooring bouys are set up here locally. Me tends to aim for down the side of the bow with the goal of simply getting a first fix on and then getting her tied on properly later - once "she ain't goin' anywhere" is achieved then have all the time in the world to adjust things, including running her forward a few yards (to take the weight off) if needed.
+A1....
Another thing to remember... some areas don't clean up their *****.. Beaufort NC for example don't bother to remove sunken moorings in Taylors Creek... just drop a fresh one on top... result.. as you swing back and forth, and up and down with the tides there's a chance you'll wrap a submerged mooring line... if you have not already snagged on the pick up....
Result... bent prop shaft and a slow sail back up the ICW to Sailcraft in Oriental...
Great yard and nice guy...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 20-06-2013, 04:50   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

So, you picked up a Bouy and then went Oriental.......often seems to work the other way around .
Old 20-06-2013, 05:03   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
So, you picked up a Bouy and then went Oriental.......often seems to work the other way around .
That's why I left the UK... to much of the Bangkok mentality..

Old 20-06-2013, 05:55   #12

Some great answers here, and clearly people have different approaches.

Anyone with suggestions for a boat with a center cockpit?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 05:58   #13

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
That's why I left the UK... to much of the Bangkok mentality..
Stop it! You guys are killing me. That is profound thread drift.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 06:00   #14

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post

Speargun.
Old 20-06-2013, 06:49   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post

I have a centre cockpit - just found it meant less far to walk to the bow! Admittedly only at 30 foot so not 30' up in the air , and of course been a while since I picked up any bouys. Locally or not .

The trick is to keep away from the female bouys. At least it is in Bangkok .

Tags
mooring