Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2016, 19:46   #16

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34
Re: Newbie Yacht Safety

Number one rule. Don't fall off the boat!

Teach them about safety on deck, such as never walk on the leeward side, never leave the cockpit without a tether when offshore and what to do if someone falls overboard.

Also for guys, don't pee over the side. Many drowned sailors that are fished out of the water are found to be "unzipped."

Number two rule. Watch your fingers, toes and head!

Winches can be dangerous. Always have a knife that can be opened with one hand if operating a winch. Never stand in the bight of a line and beware the all standing gybe.

Number 3 rule. No booze when underway!

There's plenty of time for getting your drink on when safely at dock or anchor.

I think most newbies can understand those concepts. Trying to teach them things like radio procedure is probably too much for most people.

Good luck,

Shrimp
cshrimpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 04:30   #17

I would just give them a quick 5 minute chat as I show them around. something like the following. There no point in scaring them with a long list or boring them.

Hi Friends.
"Welcome aboard" "
I just give you a quick tour of the boat and we will get you and your gear settled. Why don't we start down bellow.

This is the kitchen or galley. The beer is in the cooler, help your self anytime, when we are at anchor or tied up at the end of the day.

There's a fire extinguisher. in here. and one by the hatch we just came down.
There's the main radio by the chart table and a handheld by the exit.

Here your bunks, you can store your kit there. By the way we have a life jacket with each bunk.
How about I show you how to put one on.

The exits are the hatch we came down through and the hatch in the fore cabin. It opens fully. I will show you how it works.
We will be towing a dingy and there is a life raft in the cockpit locker.

You may need to use the can. Its a bit different from the ones at home. I better show you how the heads work now. It will save awkward questions later.

I'm just going to put a pot of coffee on. If you like I will show you how to put the stove on and where the coffees kept.

You can ask me any questions you like about the boat and where we are going while we have a coffee. Or any other time.
Having coffee is a good time to explain things like sailboats are meant lean over. It won't tip over. one hand for boat one hand for self. Unsecure stuff flies about.

After we have had a coffee. I will take you up top and show you the ropes if you like. and we will get ready to go.

Most of it will have already been forgotten by the time you have had the coffee so be prepared to say it all again as it comes up.

All the rest can be said as we go along. a quick chat on how we will be leaving. and a little job to do. Give em something to do they wont get in the way.

When we put the sails up tell them what you are doing, explain about winches.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 13:54   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catalina 28

I talk to my newbies about the following:

1. Falling off NOT allowed--must have shoes that grip to prevent slips; must wear gloves because they improve grip for that one-hand-for-the-boat saying; if we enter weather that requires life jackets, you can't relax your caution because you're wearing one
2. Here's the radio and the little red emergency button--press and hold for 5 seconds if I ask you to
3. Absolutely no jewelry on fingers, hands or around neck--they can get caught and ruin your day
4. If you help with lines, no wrapping lines around your hand when you pull--bad things can happen if a person can't release line if a load suddenly comes on
5. When we leave or arrive back at the dock, let me handle the power cord--newbies often want to help and I've seen them carry electrified lines on/off the boat, without understanding the risk.

The biggest thing is that newbies don't understand the implications of their actions and I like to preempt bad possibilities.

Jeff at Safe Sailing Supplies
Jeff.Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 13:56   #19

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff.Sailor View Post
I talk to my newbies about the following:

3. Absolutely no jewelry on fingers, hands or around neck--they can get caught and ruin your day
Good one. I learned that a long time ago, but I forget a lot of people haven't "worked" for a living...
Old 13-03-2016, 15:18   #20

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

2. "Please do what I ask you to do when I ask you to do it. If you have any questions, ask them AFTER you finish what I've asked you to do."
That's the navy way, but it doesn't always work so well. They may do what they THOUGHT you said...
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 19:24   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
That's the navy way, but it doesn't always work so well. They may do what they THOUGHT you said...
I understand the Navy way is for the crew member addressed to repeat the order back. That way both parties are certain the correct order was given AND understood.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 04:33   #22

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
My family is taking a family of pretty much sailing newbies on a sailing vacation for a few days. Keeping safety in mind, I want to make sure they learn the most important things first. I also don't want to overwhelm them, resulting in not learning anything, and not enjoying the trip. What should be on my safety list, in order of priority?

Here is a start...

1) Lifejacket location
2) Fire extinguisher locations
3) VHF emergency use / script
4) Motor start / stop / engage / disengage
5) Battery switch location (in case of electrical fire)
Since you are going out for a few days I would practice MOB drills. Good for them to see and know what to expect; maybe good for you to do something you haven't done in a while.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety, yacht