Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Is it safe to pass astern of a fast ship with a 180' CPA in open water
Sure if you have the chutzpah for it 4 6.56%
Sure but I would make it be safe 8 13.11%
I don't know if it would be safe or not 5 8.20%
No not safe at all, Silly to try 27 44.26%
No way at all! Far far too crazy 17 27.87%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2017, 07:53   #136
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Is it safe to cross astern of a fast ship in open water with a 180 feet CPA

This discussion about the rules and regulations is great. However like many others I usually don't pay much attention to the rules. I'm a firm believer in the rule of tonnage. Has kept me out of dangerous situations all of my life s why change now.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:13   #137
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Is the speed difference really the crux of the question? If he is going our speed (5 knots) then all things proceed sedately, and the equation changes considerably.

OTOH, if we are both doing 20 knots (no speed difference) then I, as a small boat, am more maneuverable, but I am also on a plane and have less reaction time. So what happens when I take my 20-30-40-50 foot boat, at 20 knots on a plane, right under his counter and hit the bow wave and then the wake? Think I'd much rather take on that task at 5 knots than at 20. So, is the difference really that critical, or is it simply that even one vessel at 'high' speed makes the situation less safe?
If your both doing twenty knots its not going to happen.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:11   #138
CLOD

Boat: none

Has there really been 7 pages of “debate” for the simple original question, or has there been “entertaining” thread drift?
Old 12-12-2017, 09:12   #139
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Has there really been 7 pages of “debate” for the simple original question, or has there been “entertaining” thread drift?
yes
Old 12-12-2017, 13:50   #140

Is it safe to cross astern of a fast ship in open water with a 180 feet CPA

I would give a cautious Yes. There are plenty rather busy and confined areas of the PNW where ideal distances don't present themselves as you would hope. We have big bulk carriers traveling at 25 its in confined areas between islands. The wake is huge and short particularly as the bottom shallows. You need to be safe and if a mile does it for your situation on a given day....great...another day may be a little different.[emoji926] around here 1 mile CPA is just not always possible and the big boys are way too fast so you can't run. Hugging the shallow shoreline is not good either. When those big boys turn the corner at 20+ kt into a channel that is
Only a mile wide one minute things look all clear and the next... Dang He's Big. And you likely can't outrun him. Be prepared for those occurrences and deal with it as best you can. It is good to know the letter of the law and the way it is presented in books. Sometimes the real-world does not read books. You judgement must suffice.
CascadeThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 15:17   #141

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CascadeThumper View Post
I would give a cautious Yes. There are plenty rather busy and confined areas of the PNW where ideal distances don't present themselves as you would hope. We have big bulk carriers traveling at 25 its in confined areas between islands. The wake is huge and short particularly as the bottom shallows. You need to be safe and if a mile does it for your situation on a given day....great...another day may be a little different.[emoji926] around here 1 mile CPA is just not always possible and the big boys are way too fast so you can't run. Hugging the shallow shoreline is not good either. When those big boys turn the corner at 20+ kt into a channel that is
Only a mile wide one minute things look all clear and the next... Dang He's Big. And you likely can't outrun him. Be prepared for those occurrences and deal with it as best you can. It is good to know the letter of the law and the way it is presented in books. Sometimes the real-world does not read books. You judgement must suffice.
None of which addresses the original question of "in open waters"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water