Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 09:11   #1

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat
Access - Boarding Astern

Newer production boats have steps in the back. On some the back drops down and then you have access and you really can't tell in a picture that it does this.

So for a newbie looking at boats that are for sale, how can you tell if it will be difficult to get on and off the boat when at anchor?

Definitely an inexperienced question, I know.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:25   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Access - back of the boat

Google up sister ships? (for sale and owner blogs).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:27   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Define difficult.

We have no steps, from the dink it's easy, from the water it's difficult without the swim ladder.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:00   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Good question, the best way is to try :-)but understand the logistics would be hard. The beneteau has the best boarding system I've seen. You can also get midship boarding ladders to bypass any odd stern configuration or the usual gear that tends to get mounted back there.

Good luck on your boat shopping
Erika
Old 10-07-2013, 12:06   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You can make a boarding step quite easily or ladder (if necessary) quite easily, saves lots of money.

I think you'll find it's a non-problem. We have climbed aboard many boats that don't have ladders, from our dinghy, often go by their shrouds. People don't like you hauling on their stanchions.

Ann
Old 16-07-2013, 13:39   #6

Re: Access - Boarding Astern

We built a small stern platform (about 1.5' x 3') from starboard, stainless tubing and cables. It clamps to the stern pulpit, no drilling. The dogs jump from the dink onto it and then into the cockpit. I will try to send pics.
tdenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 13:46   #7

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

If you're in the water, steps should be long enough to go well below water level.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 13:54   #8

Reply to TDENNEY.

Pictures would be great some time. That would put my mind at ease as I look at older boats. I'm not always the best at coming up with solutions. Appreciate it.

Cheryl
Old 16-07-2013, 17:20   #9

Cheryl,

This pic was taken during a repower effort. So the boat is in the yard, and the angle is a bit odd. I will try to find something better or take more pics. The standoffs on the stern pulpit are there so that the ladder will not hit the pulpit before the whole thing becomes veritcal. There are several mods I might make if I have time, but it works fine as it is.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0223.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	64183  
tdenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 05:31   #10

Tim, thanks that looks well constructed.

Cheryl
Old 17-07-2013, 05:53   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post
It may well be an inexperienced question, but one that I think is vitaly important. I'm in and out of my boat all day and I love the easy quick, safe access thru the swim platform.
Especially for older peoplpe I think getting over the side into the dink is difficult, and at night after Sundowners downright dangerous.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 06:06   #12
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post
Newer production boats have steps in the back. On some the back drops down and then you have access and you really can't tell in a picture that it does this.

So for a newbie looking at boats that are for sale, how can you tell if it will be difficult to get on and off the boat when at anchor?

Ask the broker/owner.

There are a variety of ladders you can add to your boat that will solve that problem. The key thing is 1) don't make it yourself and 2) get a LONG one. Long really helps in rough water or if you're injured.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 06:22   #13

Thanks MarkJ.

We are older 63 (so getting in and out of the boat will need to be easier); however, we joined a Crossfit Gym 3 months ago and will be stronger by the time we get out to the water in 2 or 3 years. Need to be strong enough to lift the anchor in case the automatic thing doesn't work. My goal is to climb the rope to the top (about 40 ft.) by my 65th birthday. 1 yr. and 9 months to get there.

I know that doesn't sound like much to younger people, but when you are afraid of heights and have no arm muscles, it is a good goal. We are having soo much fun.

These people at these clubs are crazy good. Our group (12 of us) tried the rope climb last week and I think I lasted about 5 seconds holding on before I started to slide down. Couldn't even take one hand off to move it up any higher. Total failure, really laughed a lot. Then they expected us to do pushups while standing on our arms upside down against the wall. Yeah, I got the against the wall part, but once the arms were down, there was no way I could push up and then everyone started laughing, as we were all in the same 'boat'. Ha.Ha.

It is crazy though how these people get you doing things you never thought you could. I can do real pushups now, just after 11 weeks. 100 at a workout (5 sets of 20) but still not enough lung capacity or whatever to run a full 400 meters, still have to walk/run/walk/run. A little frustrated with that.

Doing anything I can to keep my mind off boating as I have too long a wait. Yet I get on this site every day for my boating "fix". We have to sell 9 rentals before we can leave and that could take forever in this economy. Also looking at every boat that is for sale. Stuck in Indiana - and there is not "more than corn in Indiana".

Jealous of everyone who found a quick way out there -- but it will happen for us too.

Like the way everybody contributes here and there is almost always somebody who has come up with something neat that worked to solve whatever problem people post with.

Cheryl
Old 17-07-2013, 06:27   #14

Boat: Pearson 31-2

Garhauer makes a ladder that attaches to the genoa T-Track. For stepping into or out of the dink this can be an excellent solution (mid-ship is usually calmer than the transom).

We also have a tug line on the transom ladder to deploy it from the water. Embarassing to dive off the side and swim back to see you forgot to lower the transom ladder. Life threatening if you're cold and clothed after falling in accidently.

PS - having twice fished a semi-conscious person put of the water I can tell you a ladder on the side can make a HUGE difference. It's quick to swing out the boom, detach the vang at the mast base and hoist the person aboard. If you've never tried to get 150 lbs or 200 lbs of limp, wet person aboard you can't imagine how difficult it can be. Have a plan.
Charlie P. ('87 Pearson 31-2 #80 CATNAP)
Stumpkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 06:36   #15

Stumpkiller:

Thanks. I print and keep any ideas and tips I get on this forum in a cabinet sorted by topic so when the time comes we can move quicker with ideas and solutions on whatever we purchase. I know we will only have 6 months to a year to get the boat ready for travel when the time comes - fortunately my husband is one of those guys that can do everything. His parents taught him a lot regarding fixing everything from electrical to plumbing and carpentry. I am luckier than most in that regard but things premade will save a lot of time.