Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2016, 10:02   #16

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Heave /Hove to -what are the limits?

Sure! But this figure has been selected by oceanographers because it corresponds to the estimate by *experienced* mariners.

In other words, when the weather forecast mentions 30-foot seas, you will encounter some 60-foot ones but not many.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 10:12   #17
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Exactly. Its the periodicty w breaking potential. You also have to consider either the rotational FX of the storm or another like front or current -- both of which will create competing wave angles and combine into breaker/rogues. Best situation to be is something consistent from a single direction
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 10:21   #18
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Moreover, even if they really are only 30 feet, they will look like 60 feet crest to trough 8^O Measuring Wave Height | Boating Magazine
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 10:26   #19

Long before seas get to being 30 feet, I and others on board are usually too busy heaving overboard to be overly concerned about fiddling constantly as to how well we have set the boat up for being heave / hove to. I have yet to hove overboard.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 10:34   #20

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Nothing beats experience, but who goes out looking for a storm.
Here are two lessons learned from being caught out in some big stuff.

If you have sea room, running before is a good option. Make sure you veer to the thinner side of the storm. Do NOT slow down too much, you are like a sitting duck at the mercy of the waves, maintain steerage, let the hull be a boat not just a target. Our first big one in the South Atlantic we were doing 4-5 knots reefed down, and that was a mistake. Second day we shook out some more sail and went to 7-9 knots, It was MUCH better on every metric.

When you heave to, your hull will create a boiling slick of smooth water to windward. Balance your boat to make that slick appear dead upwind. The oncoming waves get tripped-up and they lie lower and hammer you less. Practice heaving to before you need it and balance it correctly. You might need more speed to get through irons, or maybe less. Practice the balance, but most important practice the set-up, so you can do it fast, because sometimes hove to in really big stuff you will be thrown onto a new tack, and have to do it again...
Old 27-08-2016, 11:05   #21

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

In addition to the other comments, heaving to with a parachute sea anchor works exceptionally well. It slows the drift dramatically and enhances the slick effect, thus greatly calming effect. Waves no longer broke on my boat and it actually became quite comfortable contrasted to the pounding we were getting.. Oil too really works and there are some great videos of its effect. There are some better ones but I couldn't find them with the limited time I had to look. Keep in mind that most vessels have a limited amount so use it judiciously.

ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 11:47   #22

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Lots of interesting stuff but the trouble with looking at the experience of others is that all boats are different. What you are trying to get at is not 'what are the limits of hoving to' but how will the boat I am in to under these conditions. there are some general guidelines that are useful but there really are no rules.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 11:56   #23

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I too would echo that different boats respond differently, and you will learn by trial and error what works best for you, and your boat depending on given sea conditions. If you know you will be having some bad weather and you have to take a break be sure to have the stuff ready before-hand... practice in moderate weather with different sail combos.. have drogues onboard and maybe a para-anchor. But in reading all the books about heavy weather you may get the impression it happens often and you need to be ready on a moment's notice! Most of the time you can avoid calamity by watching the weather and not having a rigid schedule.
To me the pro to heaving-to is it's fairly calm, under control, and you can relax for a while. The con is you are a sitting duck for the larger waves that come through if they are breaking. The good thing is at least you'll be somewhat bow on to them. I never understood "lying ahull." With running or (for me) better yet, broad reaching, at least you have a good shot at dodging the larger breakers. At night, well, I think with bigger breakers I 'd prefer a para anchor that really holds the bow on to the waves and let them wash over me... and get some rest if possible. That fatigue thing makes everything more dangerous. Again though, how often do most folks encounter these conditions?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 11:57   #24

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi

This oil on the water is blowin my mind. Maybe bring a gallon along, just in case.
Old 27-08-2016, 11:59   #25

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
This oil on the water is blowin my mind. Maybe bring a gallon along, just in case.
There are some other even more impressive videos but I just couldn't find them. I'll keep looking and will post them as soon as I can find them.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 12:11   #26

Boat: Kadey-Krogen 38 Cutter

Sparrowhawk, you and boatman are referencing different sides of the Atlantic. Once the gulf stream gets close to the UK it turns south. Just sayin . . . . . .
sailstax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 12:21   #27

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstax View Post
Sparrowhawk, you and boatman are referencing different sides of the Atlantic. Once the gulf stream gets close to the UK it turns south. Just sayin . . . . . .
I'm not sure what you mean, boatman is referring to the Gulf Stream off the Carolina coast and I'm referring to the Gulf Stream off the east coast of America. Which is more constrained off the coast of Florida.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 12:24   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Haha I'm talking about beingStrehe Gulf Stream off the keys and well over 60 knots of wind and the only way to survive it was "running" with a drogue. Just my personal experience. PS the Gulf Stream runs north :-). .
PS.. If you check an Atlantic chart you'll find the Gulf Stream runs circular around the Atlantic.. its not US property.
It meets the Labrador current and veers W.. splits under Greenland with part headed NE the bulk curves S down the edge of the Biscay.. runs down and curves Westwards between Madiera and the Canaries for the Caribe where like up N it splits with some heading into the G of Mexico and the rest heads N again to continue the cycle..
Just in case you venture offshore sometime.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 12:26   #29

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Am I being trolled? of course the Gulf Stream goes in a circular motion. but it goes north along the east coast of North America which I have been up and down more times than I can count.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 12:27   #30

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
Need more than a gallon for a night full of 15 foot breaking waves. Exxon Valdez maybe.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote