Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2016, 18:40   #46

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Heave /Hove to -what are the limits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
The oil method is similarly to SaltyMonkey's patented method of SaltyMonkey Sea Defense System®.

Here is how it works. 2-3 hours before storm arrives...

Take 1/2 cabbage and steam
Cook 10 strips of bacon. Add one extra bacon strip for each expected wave height.
Mix together and heat one last time with 4 teaspoons of sugar.
Eat along with 2 Omega 3 Fishy oil capsules
Wait

When storm arrives take down pants and lean over windward side of boat. Stick monkey arse in water and crap or blow.

BLUB-BLUB-BLUB-BLUB-BLUB-BLUB

see waves disappear.
Patented? I'd love to see that one going through the patent office. "Nope sorry, already 10 others ahead of you with the same idea."
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 19:10   #47

OP

You may find the link below interesting. Case histories of various craft deploying drogue or sea anchor. What worked and what didn't. Victor Shane's Drag Device Data Base | Using Parachutes, Sea Anchors and Drogues to Cope with Heavy Weather – Over 130 Documented Case Histories
Waterrat10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 00:37   #48

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Need more than a gallon for a night full of 15 foot breaking waves. Exxon Valdez maybe.
I recently visited a maritime museum. They indeed had there a tool intended for large boats to spread oil to the sea. I have no idea how efficient that device was or how much oil they used. Maybe not very much since the tool was a leaky bag about the size of a bucket.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 01:21   #49

Boat: Westerly Sealord

The ships I went to sea on ( typically 1950's built) all had two wave oil tanks in the focsle... each maybe a cubic metre .. maybe a little bigger.... small diameter pipes ( with valves ) feeding into the hawse pipes.

Never ever knew of them being used... don't even know if they had oil in them...
Old 28-08-2016, 01:37   #50

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
I recently visited a maritime museum. They indeed had there a tool intended for large boats to spread oil to the sea. I have no idea how efficient that device was or how much oil they used. Maybe not very much since the tool was a leaky bag about the size of a bucket.
That would have been designed for use in lifeboats.

Bag was leaky by design and filled with oakum, the rest of the kit was a gallon tin full of wave oil ( colza oil .. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colza_oil ) and a length of rope. Job done.
Old 28-08-2016, 02:37   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Heave /Hove to -what are the limits?

Popeye always used to take Olive Oil with him when he went sailing..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 03:09   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Have been hove to on a 22ftr in the Biscay with N'ly winds of 70kts plus and 11 metre seas.. fully reefed main only.. got the occasional waves breaking over the boat jetting water through the closed hatch but never really felt threatened.. duration 3 weeks with 6-8hr windows where it dropped to 25-30kts..
Same area hit by SE 60kts which backed up the current creating vertical seas where it was in my opinion to dangerous to have any sail up as it did nothing in the troughs but tried knocking you down as you crested.. seas around 9metres.. duration 50hrs laying ahull.. boat a 30ft Westerly..
There have been other times in a variety of boats in other seas/oceans.
Do what suits your boat and try not to let the noise below and confusion above throw you overmuch.. theres no set tactic to my mind.
Its all down to type of boat and conditions.
Forgot to mention.. during my last two nights before I made it into Viviero (N Spain) on the 22ftr.. three large commercial fishing boats (60ft+) went down within a 25mile radius of me.. 2 Spanish and 1 Portuguese.. this was in December '08 which goes towards my contention that big is not always better.. and the sea and wind speeds were not my estimation but from the Spanish Met at La Coruna..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 28-08-2016, 03:15   #53

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
That would have been designed for use in lifeboats.

Bag was leaky by design and filled with oakum, the rest of the kit was a gallon tin full of wave oil ( colza oil .. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colza_oil ) and a length of rope. Job done.
Maybe some of us should take a gallon of colza oil aboard, test it somewhere, and report back here.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 05:44   #54

Oil dripping off your bow ? I can't wrap my head around that concept. Please explain. How much ? How long ? What kind of oil? diesel, vegetable,engine? Why not soap? Soap breaks surface tension on water. What does it do to the breaking waves etc.etc.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 05:52   #55

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

The
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
Oil dripping off your bow ? I can't wrap my head around that concept. Please explain. How much ? How long ? What kind of oil? diesel, vegetable,engine? Why not soap? Soap breaks surface tension on water. What does it do to the breaking waves etc.etc.
Check the videos posted earlier in the thread. It's science, but not surface tension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
In addition to the other comments, heaving to with a parachute sea anchor works exceptionally well. It slows the drift dramatically and enhances the slick effect, thus greatly calming effect. Waves no longer broke on my boat and it actually became quite comfortable contrasted to the pounding we were getting.. Oil too really works and there are some great videos of its effect. There are some better ones but I couldn't find them with the limited time I had to look. Keep in mind that most vessels have a limited amount so use it judiciously.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 06:01   #56

Colza , Rape seed , Canola, All the same oil. Thanks .
Old 28-08-2016, 06:29   #57
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

A lake is not an ocean.. and what happened to all these 'Save the Oceans' CF'rs..
It don't work kids.. accept it..

Old 28-08-2016, 10:00   #58

I'm sure I can find room for a 5 gallon pail if it has the potential of extending my life.
Old 28-08-2016, 10:04   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Popeye always used to take Olive Oil with him when he went sailing..
As I recall she did all the rowing too!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 28-08-2016, 10:19   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
Actually oil does have a calming effect on the sea surface. I lived in Santa Barbara for 11 years and everyone there is familiar with the near constant sheen on the water off Coal Oil Point. And sailing between oil slicks will show the difference. And somewhere I have seen film of the calming effect on breakers at sea upwind of oil deployed. I recall it being quite impressive. But wave period, size and speed are going to remain. And so I do not store the organic grape seed oil in the bow for THAT.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37