Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2018, 13:24   #61

Boat: Boatless at the moment
Re: Couple who sank off FL got a new boat

So many words for some thing so simple, "live and let live"
Old 25-05-2018, 14:14   #62
Marine Service Provider

Won't they be hard by the stream south bound along the FL coast? Oh, details, details.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 14:51   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Won't they be hard by the stream south bound along the FL coast? Oh, details, details.

I think they are on the West coast?
However wasn’t it about this time last year the Father and his kids drowned off the West Coast? Maybe two years ago, point being it can get ugly even in the Gulf.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 23:14   #64

Who are these people
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 13:49   #65

I have to scrape together monthly money to rent boats to go sailing Just Me by myself. I'm a 5 9 year old woman. $50 an hour plus to rent a boat plus he wants a tip. Another man $395 for 4 hours plus he wants between a $50 and $100 tip. I'm trying to learn to sail better and I need somebody with me. I push through it myself I don't believe in GoFundMe type of thing.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 14:09   #66
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by step View Post
I have to scrape together monthly money to rent boats to go sailing Just Me by myself. I'm a 5 9 year old woman. $50 an hour plus to rent a boat plus he wants a tip. Another man $395 for 4 hours plus he wants between a $50 and $100 tip. I'm trying to learn to sail better and I need somebody with me. I push through it myself I don't believe in GoFundMe type of thing.

Howdy STEP,. And Welcome Aboard CF!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 17:40   #67
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by step View Post

Wow. In our area (Ottawa, Ontario) people seem desperate for crew to race with them. You do have to join the yacht club (or a reciprocal club) but that's only a few hundred a year.

Years ago, we gave away a boat that was killing us. For $1. Steel, 40+ feet, home built, by a DPO who had cut corners. The couple who took her off our hands worked like dogs the whole summer, got her launched and went cruising. They sold it a couple of years later, and good luck to them

We lived to tell the tale!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 20:53   #68

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
You do have to join the yacht club (or a reciprocal club) but that's only a few hundred a year.
Not usually true for crew. Owner usually needs club membership to race, but that's not the crew's problem.

Step, if you were to tell us your location, someone might be able to direct you towards some free crewing situations.

Jim
Old 26-05-2018, 21:45   #69

Boat: Boatless

Step, if you are near Miami I can get you on boats for free.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 22:14   #70

Boat: Oops -jumped the gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
They do seem to have learned their lesson about being prepared, having insurance, and learning to sail.
Would they be able to get affordable insurance considering they just sank a boat?

I'm a novice sailor, having almost no experience.

I had a terrible fear of going out in my boat and doing something stupid and making the news. Now I'm almost 100% certain that whatever cockup I pull won't come anywhere close to what they did.

I feel a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders.
Old 27-05-2018, 03:43   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallythacker View Post
. . . Now I'm almost 100% certain that whatever cockup I pull won't come anywhere close to what they did.. . .

Run aground in a pass with incorrect buoyage?

And I can just about guaranty you the opposite -- if you never make a mistake as bad as that, it will mean one of two things: (1) you never leave the dock; or (2) you are one out of 1000.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 04:26   #72

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Run aground in a pass with incorrect buoyage?

And I can just about guaranty you the opposite -- if you never make a mistake as bad as that, it will mean one of two things: (1) you never leave the dock; or (2) you are one out of 1000.

[emoji106]

This is the side of human nature that disappoints me the most, and man is CF full of it.

These folks had a very unfortunate experience that was due in part to incorrect buoy placement, and rather than ask ourselves “what can we in the boating community do to help prevent this sort of thing?” we find a large portion of the community devoting their thoughts toward victim shaming and bravado.

My crackpot theory is that it’s a side of fight or flight. Progressives want to attack the problem and fix it. Others want to pretend that, for /themselves/ and their superior decision-making, the problem doesn’t exist.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 09:55   #73

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I think people were irritated because these two took off with minimal prep. Got into trouble and then wanted others to bail them out. And to top it off they seem to be learning each lesson one at a time but haven’t figured out they need to have learned more than the one obvious lesson. And I’m not certain about the dad since he seems to consider it a good idea to take off in an unknown boat into what could be a problem storm all to save a few bucks at a marina. When they could have anchored out white staying close to a hidey hole while they sorted out the new to them boat.
It’s possible we haven’t heard the last of these folk and I don’t mean in a good way. Hopefully not but ...
Old 04-06-2018, 06:54   #74

I go back and forth on these types of folks. On the one hand, I have a bit of a problem with the idea that the world owes anyone a living or even a cruising sailboat. On the other hand, I am okay with the idea that not every person needs to be chained to a desk. And if people are willing to give their hard-earned money to people like this, that is their choice. I think a lot of the griping around here is caused by jealousy of the freedom these people seem to have, even if we perceive them to be idiots. In this case, it does weigh in their favor that they paid to get the old boat removed, even if it was with someone else's money.

But I also am not at all against making fun of people who do not know what they're doing, think it is going to be easy (despite a lack of experience or practical skills), or think that 5 people and 3 dogs can live on a 36 foot sailboat for more than a weekend. (I suspect that it is still just the couple but they said the others are joining them so that their "investors" will think they are less likely to kill themselves.) Hopefully, this boat will prove to be seaworthy and they have learned from their mistakes and will exercise caution and good judgment in their future endeavors.
CBinRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:48   #75

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

If you don't go when there's a 40% chance, you'll never go. That's a 60% chance of no tropical depression. And who wants to sit in a marina?

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat