Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2018, 08:03   #76

Re: Couple who sank off FL got a new boat

if i recall, 40 years ago when i started out on
my 24 footer,, i made all the mistakes that all
newbies make... BUT. that idea about getting
other people to buy you a new boat!! . that tells
me they should quit before they lose another
boat, the father, 3 dogs and themselves AND
maybe the people that come to their aid,, being
a good con artist dont make you a good sailor..
Whatever... good luck guys, Johns Pass sand
bar is just the first hurdle...
mindsofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:52   #77

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
If you don't go when there's a 40% chance, you'll never go. That's a 60% chance of no tropical depression. And who wants to sit in a marina?

Connemara
I've never sailed through one but I wonder how many people who have sailed through one would take a 40% chance of going through one again.
Waiting out one storm doesn't mean you will be stuck there forever and I think many of us have experienced the folly of trying to stick to any kind of deadline when sailing.
I think this couple are liable to get a Darwin award if they don't start up the learning curve real soon.
Old 04-06-2018, 17:31   #78

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I don't get the ill will. Sometimes this forum just sounds like a bunch of grumpy old farts.

"Sometimes" ?

There is a guarantee that if someone had an accident there will be people here blaming him or her and how this could've been avoided...

Sad, but that's the reality of pseudo-anonymous online connectivity where everyone can chip in their 2 coins of (mostly unfounded and highly biased) opinion.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 19:45   #79

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

I just found this thread and have a lot of "coins" to chip in.
I even saved-to-quote many posts but realize I would be wasting my time telling any of what I think.
I do remember many years ago another poster and myself posted that if anybody was to win the lottery we would appreciate a hand up with a nice catamartan so we could realize our dreams before getting too old.
Alas, we were punished and our posts were removed. Remember Gord? He left for the forum we could not name. I stayed though.
There a differing opinions here which I seem to think are mostly age divided. Those with more life experience and those with less who have never seen the need for sacrifice (or war) to gain what they "need".
Times have certainly changed.
By the time I worked enough (Average 340 days a year for 10 years on call or working for all of the 24 hours each of those days - no typos there) to get a small cheap catamaran and we spent a month out one year. We realized it was not to be. My wife's disease processes precluded even a catamaran for balance issues and my faults and frailties added to the inabilities to achieve a life long dream. But that is life.
It seems different now. I wonder if there is a way to eat dessert first. Would that be a new religion or a new form of government? Or a combination of both?
Old 13-12-2019, 10:25   #80

I'm Virginia ... N I need a free Cheoy Lee....😂😂😂
Cruisingalice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat