Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2018, 12:24   #31
cruiser

Re: Couple who sank off FL got a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyfish View Post
The "need" was for wreck removal. The 36ft boat was generosity from a kind soul.
I “NEED” to buy a 60kg Ultra anchor so my boat won’t end up on the beach or sandbar and then require “wreck removal.”

Come on.... Gofundme an anchor.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 12:26   #32

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I “NEED” to buy a 60kg Ultra anchor so my boat won’t end up on the beach or sandbar.

Come on.... Gofundme an anchor.
I believe there's a guy on CF that is donating a CQR maybe you can contact him.

Those anchors work well here and many other places for years and years
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 12:29   #33

Boat: Coast 30

I stood on the dock at Snug Cove on Bowen Island Christmas eve 2004 with my partner at that time a DR. of education. We were talking to two pre teenage girls who were cousins and obviously about the same age. One seemed far more mature and worldly than the other, The night was cold so it was time to go inside, that is when one crossed the dock to the huge power boat. and the other to the large ketch behind us. I turned to the professor and said. Why didn't I figure that out before; which one was which. and joined her for the Christmas party being held on board the Ketch.,

My point is this; young people who go to sea in sailing vessels, be it through a sail training discipline program, sailing on a family yacht, or just getting out there and figuring it out; often obliviously unaware of all the knowledge need to survive. usually benefit greatly from the educational experience. ultimately become more mature and worldly. The non requirement for unlimited fuel permits the sailing vessel to travel greater distances. and go to more distant places. though usually not without some serious challenges which increase the educational experiences. they become different...and hopefully better for it. they become CREW not a power boat passenger with some boat skills.

On the one hand; while I struggle on with the amount of annoying tasks in the most inaccessible places trying to get my yacht ready to splash. all the time becoming increasing aware of the incrementally building cost. It would only be normal to be some what jealous of those who got it handed to them.

but on the other hand I am very well that there is an enormous following in the education community who are involved in providing support via the many ways of giving young people a chance, or even a second chance if and when they fail; To develop to their full potential on their journey from child to useful productive adult. I will not criticize them for their charity.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 12:31   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I believe there's a guy on CF that is donating a CQR maybe you can contact him.

Those anchors work well here and many other places for years and years
Good one!

But I “NEED” a 60kg Ultra anchor to replace my 75 pound CQR.
Old 24-05-2018, 12:39   #35

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Good one!

But I “NEED” a 60kg Ultra anchor to replace my 75 pound CQR.
So do it. Start a GFM for a new anchor. Prove me wrong and feed your ego. You expended enough energy on this topic to more than cover the GFM startup.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 12:43   #36

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
Does the overwhelming majority of millennium prescribe to wants as needs?
I’m pretty sure Webster’s Dictionary defines them differently.
I’m not referring to the urban dicktionary...

Your point is a good one, although I have noticed that it's not just millennials that confuse want with need. I get this a lot in business too. They "need" an update even though I told him or her that I won't have an answer for two weeks. They really mean they want to comfort them with a call even though there won't be any new information.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 12:48   #37

Boat: Hunter 33

Quote:
The "need" was for wreck removal. The 36ft boat was generosity from a kind soul.
The $16,000 and free boat probably was enough to possibly save someones life with medicine or help a kid with cancer.

I guess the idiots that sunk the boat are more important
RobD527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 12:49   #38
cruiser

Quote:
So do it. Start a GFM for a new anchor. Prove me wrong and feed your ego. You expended enough energy on this topic to more than cover the GFM startup.
No desire to prove anything to you. Please have a nice day and try not to take things so seriously.
Old 24-05-2018, 12:49   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
I say more power to them. They learned a hard lesson about nighttime approaches; but before the snide remarks go too far, let's be clear about something: When they wrecked, the markers at John's Pass had been moved by Irma, and the channel as marked was shoaled over. Following the markers even in the daytime with anything more than a 3 foot draft would put you on a sand bar. I know because I'm a "local." John's Pass is presently being dredged to restore a usable channel that is true to the markers. And if the world was kind to this young couple, why begrudge them that? Why not be happy that the world is that kind a place?
Because some people need to tear down someone else to feel superior.
sazarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 12:58   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobD527 View Post
The $16,000 and free boat probably was enough to possibly save someones life with medicine or help a kid with cancer.

Who made it your job to dictate morality? Why do your think its your place to pontificate how others decide to donate their prosperity?
Old 24-05-2018, 13:10   #41

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:

I understand your thought however I respectfully disagree to an extent. I am a big fan of flying and in particular, I love looking at old aircraft from the fifties and earlier. I have on occasion made donations to restoration efforts for these, as well as donations to various museums.

Yes, a life could be saved, but there are other worthwhile endeavors also. In the one case, it was the restoration of a Lockheed P-38 Lightning that was recovered from under a glacier in Greenland. It wasn't a life but it was a piece of history.

It should be noted that the above fundraiser was done before GoFundme (GoBegMe?), but the result was the same. Someone needed financial assistance for a cause they cared about.

I have also on occasion donated to a few individuals. In the case of these two boaters, at first glance it seems to be a case of subsidizing stupidity. I must confess that I, to an extent, felt that way. At the same time, I also looked at it as there but for the grace of God go I. When I first started I didn't have any knowledge and I could have made the same mistake although I have always worked at least one job, and often several.

Instead of being negative I chose to look upon it as an opportunity to assist two who made a mistake and learned from it. Most of the donations were very small and I recall seeing a lot that were in the $5 and $10 range, and that seems to suggest that a lot of people felt the same way.

I should also point out that I often have a negative reaction to GoFundMe since a lot of people use that as an excuse to not prepare properly. Nonetheless, I think that in the case of this couple, it was naivety more than being nefarious.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 13:11   #42

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

Quote:

Wow! And the money you spent on your Hunter 33 couldn't have also better gone to some worthwhile charity? By your standards, every boat owner on this forum, and everyone with a 65" flat screen TV, or a Mercedes should feel terribly ashamed.

As long as hunger and disease and inequality exist on earth, any dollar spent for anything frivolous should come with a heaping serving of guilt, I suppose.
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 13:25   #43

Boat: Hunter 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjags View Post
Wow! And the money you spent on your Hunter 33 couldn't have also better gone to some worthwhile charity? By your standards, every boat owner on this forum, and everyone with a 65" flat screen TV, or a Mercedes should feel terribly ashamed.

As long as hunger and disease and inequality exist on earth, any dollar spent for anything frivolous should come with a heaping serving of guilt, I suppose.
I say I think the money should go to people that really need it instead of enabling and rewarding people that did something stupid and im the villain.

Gotta love this new generation
RobD527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 13:31   #44

Boat: Better not mention, (it's a motorized sloep)

To all the haters and grumps,

No wait........................... your not even worthy of my opinion.

And to the brave "no is not an answer".

R
robregje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 13:34   #45

Quote:
I say I think the money should go to people that really need it instead of enabling and rewarding people that did something stupid and im the villain.

Gotta love this new generation
Its the hypocritical duplicity that rubs people the wrong way. Your more than capable and welcome to make up for our lack of understanding. Donate your boat to a local charity then get back to us.

Tags
boat