Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2016, 09:32   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Anchor Bridal to stop yawing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Boatpoker,
Can you explain this more clearly? I'm not certain I understand your diagram. Our boat sails, at times, up to 45 degrees in a strong blow. We have tried every combination known to civilized Man. Perhaps you can provide a less civilized approach? Perhaps this concern with "civilized" has been our problem since the beginning. Thanks
This diagram is a bit rushed with a magic marker but I think it makes the point.
Old 18-02-2016, 10:03   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force Five View Post
I currently own a Hunter 38 which sails up and down when at anchor. I use a 10mm chain with 16mm x 50 m rode combo to offset any snatching in heavy weather and have heard of using a bridal to help minimise the constant yawing,.
Why do you need it to stop moving about whilst at anchor? What will it achieve?

You really can't stop a boat being a boat. If yours hunts at anchor it hunts. There's really nothing you can do unless u go to stupid lengths.
But you don't notice it on board, do you?

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 10:37   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Why do you need it to stop moving about whilst at anchor? What will it achieve?

You really can't stop a boat being a boat. If yours hunts at anchor it hunts. There's really nothing you can do unless u go to stupid lengths.
But you don't notice it on board, do you?

Mark
when you yaw into a beam roll .... I prefer to keep my coffee in the cup
Old 11-04-2016, 18:27   #19

This is an old thread but it can still be useful to someone. The Cal Boats of the 1960s were flush decked and the sides were almost vertical. This includes the Cal 20,25, and 28. Because of their relative high freeboard the sides would act like a vertical wing. If anchored bow forward you would sail back and forth. This was caused by the wind blowing across the sides of the boat. One side would "lift" and start "flying" sidewise. Eventually the vertical wing would stall or quit flying and the boat would start back the other way. Then the process would start again and keep repeating back and forth. In a tight anchorage we would solve this problem by running the anchor line off of either corner of the stern. The boat would settle down and not sail or swing back and forth. This was in the sheltered waters coves off California so we never had high water over the transom. It worked for us!
Transpac 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 21:15   #20

Our boat will start sailing in anything over 2O knots of wind. Once it gets around 3O+ knots we sail over 1OO degrees. Bought one of those delta riding sails and it works very well, cuts the sailing down to less than 3O degrees and no snatching, very settled in high winds. I have tried different forms of snubber attachments but nothing worked.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 22:07   #21

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Our boat will start sailing in anything over 2O knots of wind. Once it gets around 3O+ knots we sail over 1OO degrees. Bought one of those delta riding sails and it works very well, cuts the sailing down to less than 3O degrees and no snatching, very settled in high winds. I have tried different forms of snubber attachments but nothing worked.
I found a riding sail rigged diagonally above cockpit & rudder hard across works well-at times.
Old 11-04-2016, 22:22   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
I found a riding sail rigged diagonally above cockpit & rudder hard across works well-at times.
I bought ours from Banner Bay Marine and it was very nicely built and so far bullet proof. I was going to make one but after figuring out the costs it was cheaper to just buy one. First time I had ever used one over all these years but one night in Greece we were anchored in a steady 4O + knots and the boat sailed so hard from side to side that when it came to the limits the boat would roll and snatch to the point I worried about the anchor being pulled. After that I fooled around with different setups but the only thing that worked was that delta riding sail. Never used it after the Med but in Roatan Island we got a steady 3O+ knots every night for a week and the second night I drug that sail out and the difference was night and day. So very little use but sure works well when needed.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:14   #23

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

For me, a bridle is not effective.

Yesterday, I started off for the first 20 minutes (-80min to -100min) with the single snubber on the chain. I then switched to the bridle for 40 minutes (-40 to -80). Lastly, I went back to the single snubber for 40 minutes (0min to -40min). We are in 3m on 75ft of chain. It did not do much if anything.

Last year,I did the same sort of thing with my riding sail. It cuts the swinging in half.

This is what the riding sail looks like.

The boat is a 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:24   #24

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I bought ours from Banner Bay Marine and it was very nicely built and so far bullet proof. I was going to make one but after figuring out the costs it was cheaper to just buy one. First time I had ever used one over all these years but one night in Greece we were anchored in a steady 4O + knots and the boat sailed so hard from side to side that when it came to the limits the boat would roll and snatch to the point I worried about the anchor being pulled. After that I fooled around with different setups but the only thing that worked was that delta riding sail. Never used it after the Med but in Roatan Island we got a steady 3O+ knots every night for a week and the second night I drug that sail out and the difference was night and day. So very little use but sure works well when needed.
Yes. With the riding sail diagonal & rudder locked hard across it seems to work like being hove to. I didn't find it did much in fore & aft position,but diagonal-big difference-for tidal current & /or wind.

Tags
anchor