Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2015, 05:41   #1

Bridal at anchor or .....?

We have been using a bridal at anchorage to keep the load off of the windlass. I was wondering why the chain stopper would not provide similar protection for the windlass. Then, instead I also started thinking of clipping a carabeaner to the chain ( between the gypsy and the bow roller) with a small length of line cleated off to a bow cleat. Take the load off of the windlass by transferring the load to the line and carabeaner.

Is there some reason this would not work instead of a bridal? The carabeaner cleated off is much easier to deploy and remove than a bridal.

Thanks for your response.
Hylas 49 Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:52   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Bridal at anchor or .....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylas 49 Hope View Post
We have been using a bridal at anchorage to keep the load off of the windlass. I was wondering why the chain stopper would not provide similar protection for the windlass. Then, instead I also started thinking of clipping a carabeaner to the chain ( between the gypsy and the bow roller) with a small length of line cleated off to a bow cleat. Take the load off of the windlass by transferring the load to the line and carabeaner.

Is there some reason this would not work instead of a bridal? The carabeaner cleated off is much easier to deploy and remove than a bridal.

Thanks for your response.
It has to do with the length of the line/bridal. The line from your bow roller to your cleat is probably short (say 1-2 meters?). There isn't much stretch in a line only 2 meters long. At 20% it will only stretch 40cm. This is almost nothing and will not provide what a bridal is supposed to provide, a shock absorber for your anchor/chain.

A carabiner might also not be strong enough if the weather gets up. There are heavy shock loads on the absorber once the line is stretched to its fullest.

Of course if you are just stopped for lunch in placid waters and you just want to reduce/quell chain rumble it should be fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:06   #3

We've been using a Mantus bridle and chain hook for a couple of years and are happy with it.

http://mantusanchors.com/mantus-bridle/

You can also make your own bridle for less money.

The 3-strand line in the bridle provides some additional shock absorption, rather than have the chain jerk the boat.

A carabiner small enough to fit through the chain link might not be strong enough for the application.

Another benefit of a bridle is the ability to adjust the angle of the boat to the anchor when wind and swells conflict.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:16   #4

Hi Jibstay.....a question for you, we too have a Mantus bridal, the chain hook is great but very difficult to connect and disconnect. It is too large to go over the bow roller so we struggle getting off and on. Do you have any tips for connecting and disconnecting it to your chain?
Hylas 49 Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:18   #5

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Hi Jibstay.....a question for you, we too have a Mantus bridal, the chain hook is great but very difficult to connect and disconnect. It is too large to go over the bow roller so we struggle getting off and on. Do you have any tips for connecting and disconnecting it to your chain?
I also have a Mantus bridal - I use a dyneema soft schackle instead of a hook. Then if I ever have to disconnect the bridal (say in the middle of the night in a storm) I can simply cut it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:50   #6

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

+1 for soft shackles. I've been using soft shackles to attach snubbers for several years now, maybe four. Memory fails
Old 07-12-2015, 07:13   #7
Eternal Member

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Anchor Roller Damage.jpg Views: 339 Size: 349.3 KB ID: 114468" style="margin: 2px" />

Here's why you need to use a proper bridle.

June 2015. Hurricane force winds just after dropping FX-37 anchor and 150ft 3/8 G40 chain. Before we could rig the bridles.

Result: busted anchor roller. Tore up a bit of decking. Tore thru the heavy 1/2" Lewmar chain stop and jammed (totaled) the Lewmar Concept 2 windlass.

Repairs included: new V5 windlass and s/s mounting plates; expertly repaired anchor roller; replaced 3/8" G40 chain and FX-37 anchor (had to leave old chain/anchor); new Mantus chain hook and bridles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Windlass & SS Plate (2).jpg
Views:	330
Size:	420.0 KB
ID:	114469Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchor Roller Repaired 2.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	114470

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:14   #8

Quote:

Leaning out over the roller to attach or detach the Mantus chain hook is definitely cumbersome.

For me, the confidence that it's not going to come off makes it worth the effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:27   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

I use one of these, easily goes over the roller

Not sure how it compares in size to the Mantus hook.

Only downside would be if the pin jammed and needed to recover the chain in a hurry. Can work the shackle over the gypsy, but not down into the chain locker.
It has withstood 60 kt gusts, and so far OK.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:30   #10

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

I don't have a name but I got a marvelous chain hook at Annapolis several years ago and spliced it into 20' of 1" Megabraid.

Easy to attach, easy to undo, rarely slips as I roll it out with the chain, it's basically a cup (round depression, like a watch crystal - if you've ever seen one of those - but deeper) with a slight angle toward the slot where the chain goes into it, with a bail for the snubber (we don't use a bridle - and the bridal aspects of our time together are long in the past ☺).

Highly recommended, though I apologize for not knowing whose it was.

When we bought the boat, there was just a chain hook tied to some 3-strand. We still have that, and would use it if we ever (see other threads about why we might unmount our secondary anchor) have to deploy our secondary. We have also, on rare occasion, used it for a bridle to offset to the waves/wind...

So, ours is a doddle to attach, launch, retrieve and unhook; we wouldn't be without it.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:35   #11
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
In larger sizes the Mantus hook locking plate (I assume that is the problem) is stiff (in smaller sizes it is a one-hand job with the thumb). You can either use it without the plate (easy to remove then--the plate is only needed if the hook lies on the bottom) or you can thin the plastic plate with a grinder.

If you can grind in enough chain with the windlass to get the soft shackle within reach (the Mantus bridle is 30' long), then there is no reason to cut it. It is not under tension. I don't understand the scenario.

----

There are 2 different theories operating here: hose that use a snubber only to take load off the gypsy, and those that realize they can reduce peak loads 2-3 times with a long rope snubber. The OP is in the first school. Anothr thing to remember is that with the short snubber, the carabiner needs to be as strong as the chain, whereas in the long snubber school, the hook need only be as strong as the peak snubber strain, which is 2-4 times less.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:53   #12

The bridal also helps to reduce your swing.
gbohner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:24   #13

Boat: Saltram 31

Bridle- from horse tack correct spelling.

Bridal- pertaining to the Bride wedding associated incorrect spelling.

Carabineer correct spelling.

Spell checkers are good.
malcolmlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmlj View Post
Bridle- from horse tack correct spelling.

Bridal- pertaining to the Bride wedding associated incorrect spelling.

Carabineer correct spelling.

Spell checkers are good.
Thank goodness someone said it! I was afraid the poor woman was going to be at the bottom of the sea forever.
nebeluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:46   #15

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

I still prefer a rolling hitch as a method of attachment for the snubber. never worry about being unable to disconnect, you can end-for-end the line to spread wear. and is free!!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor