Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2017, 08:58   #196
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Advantages to have a small boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
AH! But a small boat can turn faster to face the offending wave sooner and punch it!
Don I dont think they want to talk about our classic plastic mor boats with our heavy keels heck almost half my total laden weight is in the keel.
Old 29-03-2017, 09:01   #197

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
Over the past weekend, we went out with friends on their 1978, 47' Perry ketch. Let me tell you - I wouldn't want that thing to be my first boat even if it was given to me. They have two jibs, a mainsail, and a mizzen sail, and there are lines EVERYWHERE. Although they often sail as a couple, we had 8 aboard that night and three of us were working the sails and we were all worn out.

It didn't seem that hard to maneuver, but the sheer amount of lines, and the size of the sails was quite intimidating.
Some sailboats have even more strings to pull...See pics, attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brigantine Adventure 065.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	438.1 KB
ID:	144249   Click image for larger version

Name:	SLII Course 2 195.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	144250  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 09:11   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Sorry cant help it, that's hilarious. So a bigger yachts rigging isnt designed for the large loads? Mate, in the middle of "s... hitting the fan" 48 or 26ft" there all corks!
Its not that the bigger boats aren't designed for the loads, but the smaller boats are exposed to much smaller forces....like the inverse square. This is why small boats can often go through a rollover with little or no damage, while the same is not true for larger boats (which will likely lose the mast in a rollover).

For example...Jessica Watson vs Abby Sunderland.
Old 29-03-2017, 09:21   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
This thread is becoming ridiculous. Let me just remind you that the Coast Guard issues small craft advisories (SCA). There must be a reason for that naming convention.
I always thought small craft warnings were for canoes, rowboats, and those little tin boats full of fishermen and beer.

If I didn't go sailing during small craft warnings...I'd never leave the dock here at all!

And the kiteboarders won't even THINK about heading out UNTIL they hear a small craft warning.
Attached Files
Old 29-03-2017, 09:25   #200
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
This thread is becoming ridiculous. Let me just remind you that the Coast Guard issues small craft advisories (SCA). There must be a reason for that naming convention.

Part of good seamanship is to know the limitations of the boat, crew and captain. In SCA conditions, a bigger boat is always more comfortable. In gale/storm conditions you are rolling the dice irrespective of the boat short of an aircraft carrier.
If the storm is big enough even a carrier has a really rough ride. BTDT
Old 29-03-2017, 09:33   #201
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
True.. I laid ahull for 5 days W of Flores in 60+kt winds.. Cherurbini 37.. got picked up and tossed a few times but never close to rolling.
So, you wouldn't have been able to execute an effective rescue of the Titanic survivors in those conditions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
YES. A contessa 26 is definitely SAFER than the QM2...but a lot less comfortable.
Please put down the beer and climb off the barstool.

Quote:

Part of good seamanship is to know the limitations of the boat, crew and captain. In SCA conditions, a bigger boat is always more comfortable. In gale/storm conditions you are rolling the dice irrespective of the boat short of an aircraft carrier.

Quote:
The CG issues small craft advisories because there are so many dickheads out there in dory's etc who have not a clue about the dangers and get into trouble in Pamlico Sound and similar places.. just have to read some of the questions/tales that pop up on CF to realise that..
Possibly I made the mistake of assuming this thread was seeking the opinion of seamen who go out on the oceans.. in which case my apologies..

I was under the impression using certain words are off limits on this forum.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 09:41   #202

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

It all comes down to common sense and experience. I'll bet they don't put carriers in the trough. For us little guys, what you have and what you know. It has become somewhat Ludacris. I don't know about others I never commanded the QE II nor worried about small craft warnings without looking at it.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 09:44   #203
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advantages to have a small boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
So, you wouldn't have been able to execute an effective rescue of the Titanic survivors in those conditions?

In those conditions the Titanic most probably would not have sunk.. more likely the bridge would have been more alert in known iceberg waters instead of 'Full Speed Ahead'

I was under the impression using certain words are off limits on this forum.
If your referring to the very English expression 'Richard Head' by any chance.. I believe its called 'foul' if its aimed at one person in particular..
Personal attacks and all that..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 10:07   #204

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Advantage: small boats have less stuff to clean up after you get rolled or knocked down!
Btw IMO for those getting started in sailing and are worried about going out in their little boat and rolling for each wave that hits you, I used to get smacked a lot in my 24 footer but never rolled, not even close. Same with the 29, but my skinny hull does lean over and then the center of gravity takes over. It takes falling off to leeward of a steep breaking wave to really get that mo and lack of flotation on the downhill side to make her want to get knocked down. Less likely when hove-to. Getting launched off a wave can be even fun perhaps,when things are under control, getting launched off a biggish wave in a biggish boat can be a bit disconcerting. At least it was for me.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 11:44   #205

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
May one enquire as to the make and displacement of this 'unsafe, unseaworthy little cork..'
Age 38 year young. Displacement light 3t, botched by people who believed having a .25t diesel engine inboard improves their safety. Displacement fully loaded and inclusive of the water contained in the grp kasko as well as all the potable water for passages up to 72 days long - about 4t.

A Swedish doubleender boat, nothing like a Westsail except for our keel running full length too, I think.

When people tell me small boats are safer I first ask them if smaller than that and only then I laugh. I mean, some respect to any question is initially granted. We are sailors here, not pirates!

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 11:53   #206

Boat: a sailing boat

It is not just a breaking wave that will get you in the small boat. Your other options are sliding down a wave and getting broached in the process as well as being tossed backwards at the crest of a non-breaking wave while sailing upwind (or even worse - when hove-to).

Will these dangers not hit a bigger boat? Oh, yes, they will. Except much later. That's why we use the phrase 'all other things equal'.

Just in case one missed the view, watching the ocean from the deck of the liner:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trochoidal_wave

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 11:58   #207
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

My Hurley 22 was 1785kg with 3/4 full keel ensconced in the FG.. a proper little ship like yours..
My Corribee 21 was a bit lighter which was why I took her across the Biscay in summer instead.. same keel shape but less ballast.. and less beam.

Old 29-03-2017, 12:07   #208
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ok so which would be safer a columbit T23 or a bayliner buccaneer 240?
Old 29-03-2017, 12:11   #209

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Age 38 year young. Displacement light 3t, botched by people who believed having a .25t diesel engine inboard improves their safety. Displacement fully loaded and inclusive of the water contained in the grp kasko as well as all the potable water for passages up to 72 days long - about 4t.

A Swedish doubleender boat, nothing like a Westsail except for our keel running full length too, I think.

When people tell me small boats are safer I first ask them if smaller than that and only then I laugh. I mean, some respect to any question is initially granted. We are sailors here, not pirates!

Cheers,
b.
I can't think of anything safer than a full keel and a soft stern. Probably not the fasts boat around but will be around.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 12:31   #210
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Ok so which would be safer a columbit T23 or a bayliner buccaneer 240?
Just the name Bayliner would send me in the direction of the Columbia 23..

Tags
boat