Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2017, 11:30   #46

Boat: Oday 25
Re: Advantages to have a small boat

I've owned 9 boats from 16 to 44 feet. My current one is 25 feet. The costs to maintain a boat go up in proportion to the weight of the boat. Not actually but this ratio seems to work. So a 22 foot boat will cost about one quarter of the cost of a 38 foot boat to maintain and use. And on the 22 footer you'll be able to do most of the work yourself. Not so much on the 38 footer. Just for example, a snatch block for 7/16 line is $135. For a 3/4" line its $489
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 11:33   #47

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I once read, you should get the biggest boat you can afford, and the smallest one you can tolerate.

I don't want to sound blunt or condescending, but IMHO its a lot about money. Big boats are expensive. Its a luxury, and a show of wealth. Most people who can afford a bigger boat, have a bigger boat.
I have read you should get the smallest boat that will fit your needs.

As far as getting a big, expensive boat, lots of folks go that route which is why we see some many big, expensive boats tied permanently in their slips not being used.

I'm thinking it's best to get a smaller, lower priced boat first to see if you even like this cruising business.

Most all monohulls are slow in my book, so I had to see if I could even deal with sailing a boat that couldn't break 10 knots

I raced beach cats for 15 years and cruising monohulls is way different but at the same time enjoyable

I happened upon my boat one day will cruising around out in the boonies (near where I'm from) and they were practically giving the boat away. (Estate sale. The PO's Son was on the other coast)

I bought it to give me an education on monohulls. It has done that and more.

And since I'm still working, I really don't need a larger boat for weekend or vacation cruising
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 12:14   #48

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsail View Post
I've owned 9 boats from 16 to 44 feet. My current one is 25 feet. The costs to maintain a boat go up in proportion to the weight of the boat. Not actually but this ratio seems to work. So a 22 foot boat will cost about one quarter of the cost of a 38 foot boat to maintain and use. And on the 22 footer you'll be able to do most of the work yourself. Not so much on the 38 footer. Just for example, a snatch block for 7/16 line is $135. For a 3/4" line its $489
Your comments are bang on.

But to me, the biggest costs are the fixed annual costs of dock, haulout, and winter storage. And all these go by the foot.

So when I had a C&C25, my costs were moderate. When I moved up to a Pearson 30, my fixed costs rose by 20%. But the boat was "twice as big". I thought is was excellent value for a just a little extra money.

The hardware, etc that the slightly bigger boat required was not noticeably more...how often do you replace sheets and blocks anyway? And one time purchases like anchors, rodes, and even sails are very rare...the dominant costs are the dock, haulout and winter storage that I have to pay year after year after year. I just can't get around those....unless I get a trailer sailer...and thats just not for me.

And finally, LOA is not an accurate definition of boat size. A Nonsuch 26 is bigger than many 30 footers. A Tanzer 22 is huge compared to a Shark 24. My Hunter Legend 35.5 was bigger than a 40 footer below. A whitby 27 is smaller than a grampian 23. A C&C29mk1 is huge compared to a C&C29mk2. And a C&C27mk4 is huge compared to a C&C27mk5.

Having said all that...mykids are grown, the wife is gone, and now I sail alone...so I'm looking for something smaller once again. Because small is also really fun. And cheaper too.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 13:29   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Choices are different; cruising plans differ; times change...... We're now selling our 41' ketch a shopping for a 25' to 28' downeast. The 41' has been ours for 32 years, but our children have moved away and we now, after 45 years, are living ashore. I had a 12' boat that was perfect for me when I was 14. I had a 30' Sparkman and Stephens performance boat when I wanted a fast sailboat. I had a power boat when I was enjoying water skiing. I don't see any point in suggesting something is a better choice.

Do what you like,- do them all!
Old 20-03-2017, 13:35   #50

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Choices are different; cruising plans differ; times change...... We're now selling our 41' ketch a shopping for a 25' to 28' downeast. The 41' has been ours for 32 years, but our children have moved away and we now, after 45 years, are living ashore. I had a 12' boat that was perfect for me when I was 14. I had a 30' Sparkman and Stephens performance boat when I wanted a fast sailboat. I had a power boat when I was enjoying water skiing. I don't see any point in suggesting something is a better choice.

Do what you like,- do them all!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 14:00   #51

I agree with everyone about smaller boats being cheaper to buy, run, maintain, upgrade, dock, moor and haul out. I also agree that they are also easier to handle than bigger boats.

This is why I am glad I bought a small boat. Whilst I have on occasions lusted after big 50+ boats, I find my small 40 footer is just perfect for me.

Size and costs are a matter of perspective
Old 20-03-2017, 14:08   #52

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

when the lucky and cashed up are forced to abandon their $$$$$$$ cruising vessel because the head is blocked or some other major concern and all the helicopter pilots are on strike so they can't be lifted off they go to plan B / they throw a very soft rubberish inflateable donut boat with soft roof and water ballast sacks underneath into the sea then jump in after it and with great difficulty climb in / that very small fragile rubber boat (is a small boat) and replaces $$$$$ cruising vessel for safety reasons / your question speaks for itself smaller must be safer
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 15:09   #53

Boat: Kompier Kotter 44

I love small boat cruising. Many years ago my husband and I cruised a 17 foot trailer sailor for three months. Except for crossing the English Channel it was mostly inland France, which makes things easier. As for standing headroom, we didn't even have sitting headroom. But we were very comfortable nevertheless.
Kudawudashuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 15:10   #54

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

"
This is really only true in the sailing equipment department. (and the difference is indeed painful here)"

I found an "almost free" 46 foot sloop and discussed with a friend of mine (that lives as inexpensively as Salorchic but used to be a sail maker) about a suit of sails for it. The increase over a moderate displacement 38 footer was shocking. I suppose that one is not shocked when the number slips in under your budget and is shocking if it exceeds the budget but still ....
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 18:47   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisss View Post
Hi! I'm very new to sailing and i want to know are there any advantages to have a smaller boat than a bigger boat(bigger yachts cost more obviously), but is it easier to sail?Better to handle?
From years of Offshore Racing I believe 33-35 feet is the optimal size for a yacht, if well founded and skillfully handled, it can deal with whatever the sea is likely to throw at you, unless you are extremely foolhardy. A yacht of this size can be comfortably managed by two, and generally safely sailed with just one on deck, and is large enough to provide comfortable accommodation for 4-5 crew.
Gear size and weight are an issue with short handed sailing, and well founded yachts in this class generally have sails and deck gear such as spinnaker poles that can be comfortably managed by one person in most conditions.

We not only finished but won Division 4 in the infamous 1979 Fastnet Race in a 34 Foot (IOR Rated 24.5) Miller and Whitworth Designed UFO34, so a well founded yacht of this size, crewed with competent sailors, can take more from the sea than most amateur sailors can.

The S&S 34, which is still made in Australia, is an excellent cruising yacht and a 16year old Jessica Watson completed a solo Southern Hemisphere circum-navigation in 2010
KiwiKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 04:04   #56

Boat: Ericson 34

QUOTE=chrisss;2350988]Hi! I'm very new to sailing and i want to know are there any advantages to have a smaller boat than a bigger boat(bigger yachts cost more obviously), but is it easier to sail?Better to handle?[/QUOTE]

In June 2014, I purchased a 6 metric tons, 34 footer on lake Michigan, motored & sailed it to NY/NY alone & with my 23 year old son. I then took it to Beaufort NC where a crew I had contacted through a friend was supposed to join me to sail it to St Martin French West Indies... Sure enough, 24 hours before my weather window of opportunity to cross the Gulf Stream (It was December) my potential crew informed me that he couldn't make it My Ericson was loaded & ready & it was my 5th sailboat & the 3 previous had the same displacement although ranging from 31, 33 & 34 feet LOA. I've been sailing since 1970 & decided to go for it... 11 days latter, I arrived in one piece in St-Martin. I'm not sure I could have handle a bigger/heavier sailboat as I weight 143 pounds !
What happened to me, happened to a good friend whose wife was sea sick from the day of departure from Gran Canaria 'till she set foot on Martinique 30 days latter: For all purpose, he was alone to do everything onboard as she laid down 24/7 except to crawl to the loo
I think you should look for the SMALLEST sailboat that can take you (and ?) where you want to go, not the biggest you can affoard ! In a previous life, I sailed my full keel 6 tons 31' C&N from England to Vancouver & I still consider that to be a good size/displacement for offshore passages with 2 people onboard
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Offshore_01.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	143604   Click image for larger version

Name:	QueneahGwen_05.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	143605  

ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 04:40   #57

Boat: a sailing boat

When considering s/h boats, I think smaller boats are easier to sell. I have seen a dozen sub-30' boats in my immediate neighbourhood (3 docks, about 60 boats) change hands over last two maybe three years. But it took us 7 years of effort and negotiations (with 4 prospects) to sell one 70' boat (and a quality one) that we were in charge of.

More people own small amounts of money required to buy and keep a smaller boat. Fewer people have large sums required to buy and keep a bigger boat.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 05:39   #58

Boat: Oday 25

After sailing for 62 years and 9 boats, if you double the size of the boat, you quadruple the expense.
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 08:39   #59

Boat: Riva 48

I believe that the trend towards larger new boats offered in the market is driven by the manufacturers. There is simply more profit to be made in selling larger boats. However, most people do not need and can't afford the upkeep on larger (say over 40 ft) boats. Combine this with the enormous supply of older smaller boats (fiberglass does not deteriorate much) and the result is much lower sales of new sailboats. Thus, most of the action on the market is in 30-35 ft boats. They are easy (inexpensive) to acquire, easy to keep and do the job of recreational sailing well. Most new buyers should start in this segment to see if they like the hobby to begin with. If you get tired of sailing, just sell her for a small loss. The share of people who go to full time cruising and would realize the benefits of a larger boat is tiny hence more difficult to sell eventually.

On the other side, going much below 30 feet is not smart, firstly because of the tradeoffs (no headroom, no space) and second because the monthly slip payments become significant relative to the value of the boat (I.e. if you have a 27 ft boat worth $15,000 and the annual slip payment is $6,000 then it just does not compute in my head).
Pizzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 09:06   #60

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Click image for larger version

Name:	1490112039829.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	143620
I wouldn't want to go much smaller than my boat. Here it is.
Mr. Gibson was reportedly on the other one.
The difference; he was renting, I own mine.
Mine is on the left, bottom. In case there was any doubt.

goat; richer than Mel.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat