Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 16:38   #1

Starting in the St.Lawrence to Newfoundland and then the Caribbean

We just bought Domingo (a beautiful Corbin 39) and are planning to sail her from the St-Lawrence river to Newfoundland in August 2011, What would be agood resource to help us navigate those waters? Should we get survival flotation suit or just good outdoor fleece and raincoat would do? We are going to go to the Caribean after and I was wondering if we need that kind of equipment.

Thanks for your help... We have a lot to learn before departure time, so any advice is welcome.
Domingocrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 17:09   #2

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
You might try here for starters- Attainable Adventure Cruising, Morgan’s Cloud
they've done a lot of high latitude voyages (including Newfoundland).

Evans Starzinger has been there too, he should be able to offer some insight.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Domingocrew.

Congratulations on your new Corbin.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:54   #4

Boat: Boatless
Where ever you go offshore you need a good life raft. Because we were sailing northern waters we bought a doubled floored one...better insulation.

We sailed PEI to Trinidad a three years ago so if you need specific information just PM we.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:57   #5

Boat: Bristol 32
Check out this website for some good first hand info. Travel Photos, Bali, Thailand, Vietnam, China, Greece, Turkey, Sailing Guide and Photos, Newfoundland, Labrador and Greenland
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:48   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
A good immersion suit is (IMHO) required safety equipment in cold waters... I have 2 on my boat and rarely venture into water below 50*F
Old 10-01-2011, 07:01   #7

Down East Circle Route

Hello
You should get a copy of these cruising guides: "The Down East Circle Route"
and "The Canadian Maritimes". The first covers all the info you will need to take you down the St Lawrence River from Lake Ontario to the Gaspe. It also cover the Northumberland St. and coastal NS. The second guide details the Magdalen Islands (you may want to stop there enroute to NF) it also cover the south coast of Newfoundland and St. Pierre/Miquelon as well as excellent coverage of Cape Breton Island (lakes and coast).
The Down East guide will give you good tips on preparation and gear that you will need. The water is cold but I dont believe you need emersion suits. Even in the summer you will need good fleeces, jackets, waterproof outer wear, hat, gloves etc but these dont take up too much room and can always be "donated" to anyone in need after you no longer need them.
Radar will be a must as you can expect fog in the lower reaches of the St. Lawrence River, NF, NS and ME. In the Maritimes June and July are the foggiest months (normally). Last summer was gorgeous and hardly any fog.
Don
marlinespike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:20   #8
cruiser

tidal islands

be sure you have accurate tidal charts for st. lawarnce river as tidal flow uncovers rock islands in many areas,,these will asink your boat if you are unaware of draft and location.,,this area very hazardous for unaware sailor..
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:30   #9
cruiser

dont be thyinking in need a survival suit instead you need a good dingy nand knowledge of where you are and where you re going,,JESUS,,survival suit is last choice on boat,, FIRSTLY, DO u have offshore experiance?. if not then dont start in north atlantic
Old 11-01-2011, 23:53   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinespike
Hello
You should get a copy of these cruising guides: "The Down East Circle Route"
and "The Canadian Maritimes". The first covers all the info you will need to take you down the St Lawrence River from Lake Ontario to the Gaspe. It also cover the Northumberland St. and coastal NS. The second guide details the Magdalen Islands (you may want to stop there enroute to NF) it also cover the south coast of Newfoundland and St. Pierre/Miquelon as well as excellent coverage of Cape Breton Island (lakes and coast).
The Down East guide will give you good tips on preparation and gear that you will need. The water is cold but I dont believe you need emersion suits. Even in the summer you will need good fleeces, jackets, waterproof outer wear, hat, gloves etc but these dont take up too much room and can always be "donated" to anyone in need after you no longer need them.
Radar will be a must as you can expect fog in the lower reaches of the St. Lawrence River, NF, NS and ME. In the Maritimes June and July are the foggiest months (normally). Last summer was gorgeous and hardly any fog.
Don
Thank you so much Don...this is the kind of info I was looking for.
Old 11-01-2011, 23:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullord
dont be thyinking in need a survival suit instead you need a good dingy nand knowledge of where you are and where you re going,,JESUS,,survival suit is last choice on boat,, FIRSTLY, DO u have offshore experiance?. if not then dont start in north atlantic
We have very little offshore experience, but we got to learn somewhere and this is where the boat is, so this is where we got to do it. Thanks for the warning though.
Old 12-01-2011, 00:05   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo
A good immersion suit is (IMHO) required safety equipment in cold waters... I have 2 on my boat and rarely venture into water below 50*F
Thanks...this is what I wanted to confirm... Man there is so much stuff to get..I was hoping to cut the corner here...what happen if people come to join us? I guess they should also be equipped with those?
Old 12-01-2011, 00:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednotzee
You might try here for starters- Attainable Adventure Cruising, Morgan’s Cloud
they've done a lot of high latitude voyages (including Newfoundland).

Evans Starzinger has been there too, he should be able to offer some insight.
Thank you, this is a great site.... We have a lot to learn!
Old 12-01-2011, 00:16   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer
Where ever you go offshore you need a good life raft. Because we were sailing northern waters we bought a doubled floored one...better insulation.

We sailed PEI to Trinidad a three years ago so if you need specific information just PM we.
Thanks...we may take you up on your offer, but we have some homework to do first...I just needed a starting point....man, the summer will come quick
Old 12-01-2011, 04:25   #15
cruiser

didnt mean to alarm you,,of course floaterduits r warm and comfy if no autopilot r pilothouse and your outside for hours,,ive got a mustang brand{cheapy}that does the trick but i wouldnt want to go overboard in it for more than one hour[5 minutes} in cold water,seeing as the fog was mentioned i thought of the "ghost" islands of the st.lawrence which are really rocks exposed by low tide and caused the sinking of a cruise ship years ago resulting in the loss over 1000 souls in cold water,radar is a real bonus in this area and accurate gps,,always know where you are and preferably move at high tide,,north atlantic has no mercy for wrong moves.little sand bottom if you hit bottom it is usually rock,cruising guides are good but we hit coral heads in the bahamas in areas the guide said were none but of course coral grows toward the surface and old info is often no info on the ocean..have fun and remember the greatest thrill is surviving to tell..

Tags
Caribbean, newfoundland