Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2012, 18:37   #16

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Question Re: Sewing Machines

I just scored an old Jenome from Vinnies for $45. A fellow cruiser and sailmaker spotted it and said it looked like a good machine with all the original accessories and instructions It has a lot of the modern functions in analog. It also weighs heaps; definitely no cheap plastic parts.

I am planning on running it off my small generator. Hopefully, I am going to get some quality thread tomorrow and start sewing!
Old 21-11-2012, 18:41   #17

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Sewing Machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Since you're a pro...I've heard that I should increase the spring tension on the foot for canvas work or get a stronger spring altogether. I've got a Pfaff 230
You are correct.
Generally, you should INCREASE presser foot pressure with heavier fabrics.
Most newer machines have a dial for this, others need internal adjustment or different springs installed.

If you're sewing canvas, use a larger size needle, and UV resistant thread.
The fabric doesn't die, the stitchind DOES.
I use GoreTex thread. It's so slippery it's a bitch to get the tension right, but it lasts forever.

sjsewing

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 22:15   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
You are correct.
Generally, you should INCREASE presser foot pressure with heavier fabrics.
Most newer machines have a dial for this, others need internal adjustment or different springs installed.

If you're sewing canvas, use a larger size needle, and UV resistant thread.
The fabric doesn't die, the stitchind DOES.
I use GoreTex thread. It's so slippery it's a bitch to get the tension right, but it lasts forever.

sjsewing
Yes...whatever size needles i bought were the largest. I took the machine when I bought it to a well known and respected machine mechanic. I could not convince him to put in a heavier spring. His answer was that it's better for the operator to get use to the way it is. I notice it slips a little. So I will see if the spring in it can be tweaked down anymore. Other wise, I will find a stronger spring. I will get some UV thread. ..thanx
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 09:00   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

A DC motor would be physically a lot larger than a 110/230 VAC motor and would require large gauge wire for the current draw. The increased cost would more than justify a small, high efficiency inverter. Its best to stick to standard parts too.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 10:20   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
A DC motor would be physically a lot larger than a 110/230 VAC motor and would require large gauge wire for the current draw. The increased cost would more than justify a small, high efficiency inverter. Its best to stick to standard parts too.
I agree with this but just to prevent any further confusion, a lot of the higher end machines these days have DC motors.
They usually run on 35 volts or so which is derived from an onboard power supply which is run from standard household power.

The reason for DC motors is better control of dynamic braking, i.e. nearly instant stopping of the needle in the up or down position from flat out sewing speed.

Ayn Rand
Old 25-11-2012, 10:57   #21

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulaire View Post

I have no sewing machine experience, but it seems sailrite are the top of the range with a great customer service.

Charlie
They may be at the top of the range but the range is limited to something small that can be used on a boat. By that I imply they cannot compare to the performance of a good industrial machine with a walking foot. Again though, it all depends on where and how the machine is going to be used. OH--- I agree with others who suggest an inverter! If you ever plan to use it at home, finding 12vdc will be a problem for most.

I have a huge Juki 1541S with a walking foot. It is powered with servo motor for better sewing control to match my skill level. The machine has a walking foot, something I believe is necessary for sewing heavy fabrics. Now of course, I do not recommend this machine for onboard use. Way too big and heavy. This is the type of machine (not necessarily Juki) that I believe performs well sewing canvas weight materials. I have used my machine extensively to do all my own canvas, cushions, dinghy cover plus many things for Wifey.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 15:24   #22

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

Hi:

My wife has a 30 YO Bernina. I know pretty much next to nothing about sewing machines. Is there any reason we would want a different machine for sailor usage, say the Sailrite?

Thanks,

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 17:03   #23

Imho, the only reason you would want to replace your Bernina would be if you need to sew right into the tack head or clew of a big sail.
For that, you would need a Sailrite with a Monster Handwheel.
Otherwise, you're already Golden.
Berninas are the Mercedes Benz of sewing machines.

FWIW, I'm also a Certified Bernina Technician so I might be just a little biased.

Ayn Rand
Old 25-11-2012, 17:21   #24

SenorM---

Suppose this particular Bernina lacks a walking foot or do all Berninas have them?
Old 25-11-2012, 17:33   #25

Boat: Bayliner 2355, looking for a Whitby

OMG!!! you mean there are men sailors and men sailors that use sewing machines as well? Have I died and gone to heaven? lol
Nomadgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 17:39   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadgurl View Post
OMG!!! you mean there are men sailors and men sailors that use sewing machines as well? Have I died and gone to heaven? lol
Crawl into my cave and we can do a stitch or two
Old 25-11-2012, 19:12   #27

Boat: Farr 1020
Re: Sewing machines

Can the Strongarm walking foot machine handle the weight of a 36 ft Dacron main (8.5 oz or heavier) and have the spindle and needle sizes required for this heavy duty work?

Acushla
Acushla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 19:31   #28

Oh, here we go with more thread drift...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
SenorM---
Suppose this particular Bernina lacks a walking foot or do all Berninas have them?
The only Bernina that has a built in walking foot costs the moon, but then again, it's not meant for sailors anyway.
Do a search for Bernina 8 series and you'll see what I mean.

Any Bernina can accept a walking foot, they simply clip on.
Youtube is full of videos about using a walking foot.

There's a world of difference in quality between a Swiss made genuine and aftermarket ones which are sold as "Fits Bernina".

Nomadgurl,

Several years ago I worked in a fabric store doing my sewing machine servicing.
One day I fixed a machine for a lady who was a sweetie, but she drank a lot.
She had decided to tear into her nearly brand new top of the line Bernina to clean it.
She couldn't get the stainless steel free arm cover off (because it's not designed to come off, it's epoxied to the chassis!), so She pried it off with a big screwdriver, bending it all to heck in the process !

I fixed her machine in 24 hours.

The next day she came into the store full of customers and in her tipsy condition, loudly announced what a great guy I was and asked me to come live with her.

I said pointing to my wife, "Thanks for the compliment, but I'm happily married to that lady over there".

She then said, "Well, if you ever dump her, let me know!" to which another lady at the counter said quietly, "Get in line, honey..."

Ayn Rand
Old 25-11-2012, 19:33   #29
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Most home machines are not suited for work on sails but will work on some canvas applications. I may be mistaken but have never seen a needle larger than a 120/19 for the home machine. When you get to the reinforced areas there will be a lot of broken needles. I use a size 21 for v92 thread. For sail repair I step up to a size 24 and still have thread breakage when hitting areas with a bunch of layers. My beef with the sailrite is the tiny 7" throat. My Adler has a 19" throat and its still a wrestling match to do anything toward the center of a sail,don't see how it is even possible to stuff half a sail through that tiny hole on the sailrite.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 20:21   #30

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I think also as far as sails are concerned and smaller home machines is that they do not have the throat depth. If you had to sew a seam on a sail that was in the middle of the sail you would be SOL. I have a Pfaff 230 with a zig-zag feature. No walking foot. It will do 90% of what I need done. I paid $30 for it and $70 to be gone through by a pro. My suggestion is to run what you brung. If down the road, you become proficient with it and want to move up, you'll know then exactly what you will need.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote