Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2007, 10:53   #1

Things that shouldn't get thrown away

At my marina, there's a table where people leave things that they don't need, but that other people might want. It's on the way to the dumpster, so maybe if you were throwing away an old tea kettle, you might leave it on the table, and see if someone else wants it, etc. Things don't normally stay on the table for long.

So what weird things have people thrown away (or discarded for others, like on our table)? I've seen:

- 50' shore power cable, fully functioning.
- Massive fish net, a few repairs, weighs maybe 50 lbs total.
- Kerosense stove, with tank.
- $200 Shimano reel, in box, with receipt.
- Huge stack of DVDs.
- Radar reflector.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:58   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Rebel,
Wow!! That's great. Wish we had a Marina. I'd be leaving a lot of things on the table and maybe gathering a few.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:02   #3

The weird part now is that since it's kind of the "social table" where people sit around and tell sea stories, if you leave your cell phone or keys on there for even a few minutes, people walk by eyeballing them. So it's never a good idea to leave anything on there unattended, even a cup of coffee.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:18   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
We've found lots of "free tables" on our way up and down the ICW. I wouldn't mind the Shimano reel!! It's a good idea. Your useless stuff might be very useful to others. Got a good pot off one to mix my oxalic acid cornstarch mixture that I use to get rid of the waterway smile.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:13   #5

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Hello fellow dumpster divers (Marine dumpsters!) At our marina it is proper ediquit to leave unwanted but usable items next to the dumster. I have "salvaged" 300Ft 3/4" anchor rode, 2, D4 batteries and a very nice oriental rug to name a few. A like new sail was left for several days . Did not fit my J but I took it to Bacons (Used sails) Got a check for $200 US a few months later. I think the Yachties toss the power cords when they get dirty.

Thanks for the Dip Tip Vasco. My boat moustash thanks you .

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 13:48   #6

Ditto for me

Vasco, what proportions do you mix that in? We have a fabulous smile this year and haven't found anything yet that works on it.

The salvage table is great idea, have to propose that next year.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 14:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe71 View Post
It's a table near the bathrooms and laundry room. We have a coffee maker in there, so it's where the liveaboards & co. hang out in the mornings and chit chat. It's also 10' away from the gate to the docks, so it's a high traffic environment. Works out really well.
Old 08-11-2007, 15:45   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe71 View Post
Vasco, what proportions do you mix that in? We have a fabulous smile this year and haven't found anything yet that works on it.

I use warm water and put oxalic acid crystals (wood bleach) in it (on the stove) until it's saturated. I just keep adding crystals until it won't take any more. I had to get the pot off the free table because my wife won't let me use our regular pots. I buy the crystals from Home Depot ( $5 for a tub). I store this stuff in a jar. When I'm ready to use it I usually cut it 6:1. That's six water and one acid. My original recipe was 8:1 but 6:1 is fine and even stronger doesn't seem to harm fiberglass. I put the cut mixture in my acid pot and add a couple of tablespoons of cornstarch and bring it to the boil. This thickens it so that it's not runny. I swab this mixture on the waterway smile. Also good for getting rust off decks and stainless. This stuff goes far. I'm still on the original tub I bought five years ago. You can get the same stuff from WM for $12 a small jar but their gell is a bit better than my cornstarch. Another good product is Barkeeper's Friend (Publix), it's a mild oxalic acid powder and good for getting the rust off all the stainless on deck.
Old 08-11-2007, 23:35   #9

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
That free stuff table kinda reminds me of The Freecycle Network.
1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
blove8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 21:51   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I do the same thing, except at my house. The last time I cleaned out my garage I had a free garage sale. I figured it beat haggling with these professional garage sale people who want to verbally beat me over the head until I come down on price. Everything I put out there was gone by the next day....saved me a trip to the dump and a $50 dump fee.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 07:55   #11

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000
Excellent idea Rebel.

Sounds like a great community you've got there. And what a neat way to meet your dock neighbors!
ughmo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 10:34   #12

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
In my marina the "free table" is the transformers that dot the main walkway. That's where I got my stove, head, power cord, 2hp outboard, force 10 barbque,books etc.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 11:13   #13

Boat: S/V Nisus 36' Bayfield
We were docked for a couple of years at a marina that was also home to college sailing school. The stuff they threw away was amazing! Sails, pedestals w/wheels, spinnakers, etc.etc. Things we couldn't use we put on E-Bay--silly yachties!!
svnisus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 11:15   #14

Boat: S/V Nisus 36' Bayfield
At another marina, someone put a small bookshelf in the laundry room where people could put obviously books and magazines. Then it started having pieces/parts and other things that were still usable but needed a good home. The old dockmaster quit and the new guy decided it was too "messy" so he threw everything away including the bookcase. I printed up a sign "One man's trash is another man's treasure" and posted it right above where the bookcase used to be. I don't think he was even smart enough to understand what it meant.
svnisus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 11:34   #15

I think it helps that our's isn't inside the marina gates, because eventually (within a few hours, absolutely within a day), people cruise by it that will just take whatever is on there and sell it at the swap meet or on craiglist. That probably helps to keep it thinned out.