Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 11:34   #1

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Just a reminder it's the little things...that get you

As you know we have moved aboard and getting ready to head out. As part of that I'm making sure everything is OK.

Well after we have been aboard about 2 weeks the refer stops working -- dead short or so it appears at the breaker. Oh S--t I think just what I don't need. For the record it's one of the few systems [20 yrs old] we have not replaced over the past 5 years we have been refitting the boat. rethinking that again now. So I can my local guy figuring the old girl has given up the ghost...well turns out the problem was the breaker which I replaced last year. The lead going to the refer was a cold/corroded joint which created heat which overheated the breaker...which cause failure. Of course once figured this out, replaced breaker, replaced terminal all is fine. Of course it's still and old system that the seals are starting to go on so probably will replace with something that burns less power and is reliable. This one has issues every year.

That of course had me thinking so I decided to go through all the other systems as part of a check. Well the generator starts fine but no power to the panel. Here we go again me thinks. Dig out the manual trying to figure out what it could be??? Open the compartment get ready to start tearing into things and look at the breaker right next to the generator. It's in the off position, turn it on.. life is good. Someone [most likely me] shoved a cleaning brush in to the corner and turned off the breaker.

Don't you just love those little moments...
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 13:14   #2

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Jon - gotta love it! No-cost repairs are always the best
Old 04-05-2006, 13:29   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

John, I've had similar problems with a breaker accidentally getting flipped. Check with the usual sources (like Blue Seas) about safety covers for the breaker, aka "Aircraft safety covers" that have to be flipped up before the breaker switch itself can be thrown. These usually mount on the breaker with the normal installation/mounting screws. You can rig up something similar with cardboard & velcro, etc, but...that's always going to look like the kludge job it is.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 17:35   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Breakers getting flipped. I've been there. The bseaker on the windlass did that to me twice. The first time I pulled in all the chain by hand the second I payed it out by hand. Both times it was the breaker. After two times I'm clued in.

Yes, it is the dumb stuff that really does get you.

OTOH, the new fridge compressor and cold plate came UPS this afternoon. Sometimes it isn't the dumb stuff. Sometimes the stuff just flat out breaks. Fridge was 16 years old. Died suddenly. Probably won't bury it at sea though since it died at the dock.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote