Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2017, 18:58   #16

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad
Re: The useless dream boat I will never buy

Go big or go home?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USS-Gerald-Ford-aircraft-carrier-2.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	139498  
Old 11-01-2017, 19:34   #17

Boat: MacGregor M26S with aspirations to cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You will find antique airplanes all over, I even have a 1946, but you never see antique helicopters.

Other than old Bell 47s (think M*A*S*H). But they didn't start being produced until 1947.
mdbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 20:13   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post
Go big or go home?
Not really good for gunkholing.

If logic goes completely out the window, picking up one of the old English Channel hovercraft would be awesome.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:28   #19

Cool Re: The useless dream boat I will never buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
I'm not talking about a bigger boat, or moving from a monhull to a cat. I'm talking about that boat or style that catches your eye. You know, the genre that doesn't really fit, but damn it would be a blast. If you were suddenly filthy rich you'd buy one.

For decades I've told myself that when gas (in USA) hit $5/gallon I would buy myself a Cigarette boat- after all, it would be a cheap buy then. I occasionally search YW for the very old Cigarettes, sigh, and move on.

But my real hidden desire is the former USCG 44' MLB. I like rough weather- as my friends know, Small Craft Warnings means "let's go sailing!" I dream of strapping a few buddies into a 44 MLB and heading out when not even USCG wants to go out.

Yes, they are available. And, I could probably afford one. But I'm not going to do it. I don't need another project. But I can only imagine how much fun I could have...

Anyone else have a hidden favorite that makes no sense and won't be procured, but is always on your mind?

You betcha ! However I'd have to start back in the pre-adolescent years and my memory has faded. Pouring over the many boating magazine subscriptions. Stacks and stacks of brochures, remember those postcards in the magazine issues that you could check off the "more info" box. They were all mostly wood being plywood, clinker, carvel, double diagonal and so on.

Every month it was another dreamboat. Had to finally resolve myself that I'd be happy floating along in an innertube.

Just to be on the water.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote