Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2016, 08:28   #91

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Safety for Americans abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
No, its quite warranted. Politics have become a blood sport in the US and I, for one, have zero patience for people who can't help but let it take over every aspect of their lives. The response, truly as the original question also, has nothing to do with cruising and more to do with someone being pathetically myopic. Such people, on both sides of the spectrum, gleefully make life a little nastier for everyone.
One question is not "letting it take over every aspect of their lives". Thats just hyperbole.
Your responses here are nonsensical at best. These comments condemn but do not inform. Indeed that does make life a little nastier for everyone.
Old 25-07-2016, 09:20   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
And don't lie about being Canadian. It's dishonest.
Wow I really laughed when I read that comment.

You do whatever you have to do when it means protecting your personal security. I left Syria when the Arab Spring was kicking off and certainly stared down enough AKs at enough check points to learn that lesson well. Just ask Capt Phil also.

I've seen local Arabs whom I knew, acting like animals during protests at our embassy, but the next day we'd sit together and share tea and they've all shared wonderful comments about America in general, but not the politics, which is different matter altogether.

Certainly the best advise I can think of for the OP is to avoid trouble spots and act respectfully.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 10:00   #93
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
No, its quite warranted. Politics have become a blood sport in the US and I, for one, have zero patience for people who can't help but let it take over every aspect of their lives. The response, truly as the original question also, has nothing to do with cruising and more to do with someone being pathetically myopic. Such people, on both sides of the spectrum, gleefully make life a little nastier for everyone.
I am in complete agreement about the state of US politics. The two sides are very polarized and a very common attitude is to push an agenda and make no compromise regardless of the impact or damage to the people or the country. One note, if you know your history, it has been as bad or worse in the past.

BUT, because someone asks a question about travel and foreign attitudes towards Americans, which I still say is a valid question, you are saying that politics has taken over every aspect of that person's life? Not only harsh but clearly a gross exaggeration. One question about one specific issue does not make an obsession.

And how in hell does a very politely, sincerely asked question make life nastier for anyone?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 10:02   #94

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"I try very hard not to get into political debates these days because so many opinions are based on emotion and not facts, but the only reason that the Dow is over 18000 is because the Federal Reserve has pumped so much free money into the financial system, institutional investors have been borrowing at almost 0% interest and spending like there is no tomorrow. I know that the current administration would love to take credit, as if it were a good thing, but as soon as they raise interest rates, that 18000 will drop like a stone.

To the Ops original point, how the US is perceived around the world has little to do with you occupies the White House, and far more to do with our foreign policy. Our actual foreign policy, as opposed to the sound bites and speeches given for public consumption. " HighTemp

HT,
Thanks for paragraph #1 above. It is certainly a strong contributory factor to the over-inflated, fantasy Dow. There are many mainstream economists like the brilliant Swiss Economist Marc Faber who believe America is headed for an unstoppable crash unless sound economic policies return. Faber, for the record, predicted the rise of China, the '87 crash, slide of the dollar since 2002, zero interest rates causing hyperinflation and the rise of gold in 2015 to name a few. Keynesian economics is a social solution not economic and it has never worked including the fantasy economic policies of the Roosevelt administration.
However, your second paragraph misses the point since foreign policy is determined by the president and his economic advisors. Mr. Obama has certainly made this clear in the last 7 1/2 years as did Reagan during his presidency. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 26-07-2016, 07:44   #95

Boat: Lagoon 42
Safety for Americans abroad

There are many ways to profit from your certain knowledge of the future of the US stock markets. Have your short positions on DOW futures made you rich?

Their are always economist who tell you they were right in the past. I need to see all their trades to know their ability to tell the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 08:05   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
........ I am Canadian.
as one I can proudly claim you are not

/S
Old 26-07-2016, 09:49   #97
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gafferfan View Post
as one I can proudly claim you are not

/S
Hey fool.... I was born in Canada.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 10:04   #98

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentm View Post
There are many ways to profit from your certain knowledge of the future of the US stock markets. Have your short positions on DOW futures made you rich?

Their are always economist who tell you they were right in the past. I need to see all their trades to know their ability to tell the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What a cynic, don't you have faith in people who predicted 8 of the last 3 recessions?
Old 26-07-2016, 10:13   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Hey fool.... I was born in Canada.
Thats fine but don't tell anyone else ok? Fool? Really nice.
Old 26-07-2016, 10:22   #100

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Im often "informed" by Americans about why the US is better than Canada, and yet it is quite common to hear about them "becoming" Canadian when travelling abroad. In fact locals will even point them out to me. You really aren't that hard to spot.
If you are ashamed of admitting that you are American, maybe you need to move to a country you can be proud of.
And I'm not referring to you Ken, there has been a couple earlier posts on it.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 10:43   #101

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35

To my US friends, please don't pretend to be Canadian. We have a secret handshake, and certain phrases that will out you instantly (hint: it's not eh)
wedivebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 10:45   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
The concern here is people may not have ever visited Saigon, so sharing a story that implies you can expect random violence is misleading.
That was a strange story and no way can you judge any country by what a bunch of drunk idiot tourists do.

I know Vietnam extremely well and it is absolutely a fantastic and 100% American-friendly country to visit. Don't worry that the government is communist - it means nothing. Every single person who I've seen go on vacation there state that it is one of the best countries they've ever visited - much better than Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, etc.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 13:36   #103
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gafferfan View Post
Thats fine but don't tell anyone else ok? Fool? Really nice.
I choose my words very carefully. You're the one who went out of your way to step in it.

"Have a nice day"

fool
fo͞ol/
noun
1. a person who acts unwisely or imprudently; a silly person.
"what a fool I was to do this"
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 13:55   #104

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

One thing I have noticed about my fellow Americans is that they tend to confuse/conflate "America" with "US Government". To me "America" is all of us citizens plus the ground we walk around on and nearby waters. It has no necessary relationship with the government.

Trust me on this one: Many people in other countries love their countries but hate their governments. They have no trouble at all telling the individuals of a nationality apart from the government that is ruling that nationality at the moment. Just be a pleasant and respectful person and they won't hold your government against you any more than you would hold theirs against them.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 14:01   #105

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Now I will make an inflammatory statement: Canadian friends! You are pretty much just like us over here in upstate NY! To be truthful, Ontarians are way more like us than Texans are. I will happily pretend to be a Canadian whenever it seems necessary or amusing because

a: I dated a Canadian girl once
b: My ex-wife has Canadian cousins
c: It is the only nationality I can impersonate with any hope of being convincing
d: I have been there lots of times

I have no idea why I might ever do it but since this thread is about personal safety I am happy to say that I would do this in an instant if it would help and might even get away with it because Canadians are just like us!
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety