Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2016, 00:42   #61

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Safety for Americans abroad

[QUOTE=Sea Dreaming;2171415]Well, Ive done it. I spent too much time today reading comments from world citizens about the American political situation.

Naah, you've had a lot more embarrassing than Trump.

Years ago when I travelled as a young woman I was advised to tell others I was Canadian. I never did but there was a wide held belief that being American would make me a target for hatred.

Left wing ratbags are always going to hate the USA. It's the most diverse country in the world which pretty well provides some sort of excuse for any malcontent who wants to hate.

Anyway, Ive never been more embarrassed to be American than I am right ow. I am ashamed of Trump and his supporters but I worry that I will be lumped in with them just because we come from the same country.

Well you should not be, he's a little colourful and does seem to upset the politically correct but even if he wins he can only be there 8 years, look at the problem the poor folks in Russia have.

In general the US does more good than harm and it is just about always American moms and dads who get to mourn their lost children whilst they try to bring peace to some part of the world. I think you will find that you are far more welcome in most places than unwelcome. In general the Europeans do need to get off their butts and help make the world a better place.

QUOTE]
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 06:47   #62

Quote:
The concern here is people may not have ever visited Saigon, so sharing a story that implies you can expect random violence is misleading.
Sigh....What I described could happen ANYWHERE in the world. The attack was perpetrated by TOURISTS and has nothing to do with Saigon or it's people.

Fact is I know of NO crew member ever being a victim of a violent crime in all my years in Saigon. I do know of a few pick pocket incidents and a couple of purse snatchings by some locals on mopeds, but that's about it. I hope that is clear enough.

There are 2 issues being discussed here....safety and anti Americanism.

Most tourists that are victims of crime are usually in the wrong place at the wrong time. Has nothing to do with race or national origin.

The anti Americanism I've witnessed had little to do with safety...usually just talk with no threat of violence.
Old 23-07-2016, 15:14   #63

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"Anyway, Ive never been more embarrassed to be American than I am right now. I am ashamed of Trump and his supporters but I worry that I will be lumped in with them just because we come from the same country." Sea Dreaming

If you feel shame as an American, it should be for the failed economic and social policies of the most incompetent man that even held the office of the president: Barak Obama-- A man who has run our national debt to 20 trillion dollars, weakened our national defense, opened our borders to unfettered illegal immigration, created conflict between the races worse than we experienced in the 60's, force fed an ineffective and cost prohibitive health care requirement on working Americans that doubled most people's existing premiums, failed to bring safety and civility to inner city people living in perpetual crime zones, failed to help inner-city children receive a quality education, failed to prosecute and keep in jail recidivist criminals who terrorize urban streets, failed to allow the free market to work with undue government restrictions and mandates reminiscent of totalitarian governments, continually threatens the First Amendment with government mandated speech promoting political correctness, daily assaults our Second Amendment Rights by confusing the root cause of crime with the right to bear arms, and guilt of the most abusive cronyism in government where people are appointed based upon color and creed rather than competence and experience. You're never more embarrassed to be an American??? . . . I would respectfully have to agree but for completely different reasons than you have stated. And, to answer the question of safety for Americans abroad--I have never witnessed poor treatment by any group of people worldwide because of being an American whether they were Mexicans, South Americans, Europeans, Caribbeans, Central Americans or Asians. If you were treated poorly, you probably deserved it. Good luck, good sailing and may I say your shame as an American has nothing to do with Trump. Our shame is still in the White House.
Old 23-07-2016, 15:44   #64

Boat: a sailing boat

" ... If you feel shame as an American, it should be for the failed economic and social policies ..."

I am not sure this is what drives the apparent lack of safety for American cruisers abroad (as compared to other passports). As such qualifying the thread for getting slammed down by the mods.

I would think that if there are any factors that we do know of (but this does not imply we should be discussing this here) then it is the American military presence in places far away from America where civilians are killed and the military (and not just US military) are hardly ever, if ever, held responsible. And even less so, our leaders. Some of them early awarded the Peace Nobel Prize (hence a.k.a the Nobel Prize for Nothing).

If we want to think about cruisers' safety then all we can do is to ask some cruisers to vote for governments that will stop sending troops where they are neither invited, nor welcome, nor doing a good job. This has nothing to do with sailing or cruising, IMHO. Another forum, PLS.

I can't vote there. Some can. Their choices drive their safety, and ours.

Love&peace,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 15:53   #65
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

we as cruisers are each one infividually responsible for our own personal safety.

you are hollering for govt to keep you safe.
wrong answer. you want more govt control?
politics are not a part of personal safety or any safety while travelling. who is elected usa pres has no bearing on cruiser safety.
our individual behavior is what determines our safety.
the choices we of usa have as political candidates is no reason to be concerned unless the one winning decides to war against the planet. kinda hard to do without congress.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 16:08   #66

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Naah, you've had a lot more embarrassing than Trump.
Give him time, he hasn't even been elected yet. As he will let you know, even if you never asked, he IS the best at everything he does, and he is already showing signs of being a "YUGE" embarrassment.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 00:49   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Well you should not be, he's a little colourful and does seem to upset the politically correct but even if he wins he can only be there 8 years, look at the problem the poor folks in Russia have.
Well, I believe when Putin came to power he could only serve 2 terms as Prez, and now he's been running the place for 20 years.

I can't wait to see whether The Donald runs the USA as a reality show or a business, but I'm glad I'll be watching it from up here.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 02:47   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Sigh....What I described could happen ANYWHERE in the world. The attack was perpetrated by TOURISTS and has nothing to do with Saigon or it's people.

Fact is I know of NO crew member ever being a victim of a violent crime in all my years in Saigon. I do know of a few pick pocket incidents and a couple of purse snatchings by some locals on mopeds, but that's about it. I hope that is clear enough.
So if it could happen anywhere, it's not related to the subject but by having the Saigon tag, it leaves a false impression that it is related to the subject.

I give up, you don't seem to get it.

To the OP: Most of the horror stories have similar background. People saw or heard something they didn't understand but they morphed it into something fearful.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 14:09   #69

Boat: Shopping

Sea Dreaming, a little off-topic, but still on safety.

I wonder if you have a source for your signature contention that 100 people are killed by cows each year.

I like cows, and it makes me very sad to read this.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 14:31   #70

Boat: PT-11

Only a politics-obsessed American could think anyone is going to judge them personally based on what whackjobs American politicians are. Give it a rest and get a life.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 14:31   #71
cruiser

We proudly display "Old Glory" the flag of our registry. No problems ever, only positive responses even from Arab countries.

Most of the negative comments and worries expressed on this thread are 100% total crap generated by speculators without any merit or experience. Just political B.S.

If some of you are ashammed to be American, then renounce your citizenship and find someplace better.... good luck. Put your money and arse where your mouth is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	427.0 KB
ID:	128307  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 15:28   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Only a politics-obsessed American could think anyone is going to judge them personally based on what whackjobs American politicians are. Give it a rest and get a life.
That's pretty harsh. Some new cruisers may not have the benefit of your experience and it can be a bit intimidating trying to figure out what it's like to take off into new countries and cultures. Not helped by some of the nonsense put out on the US news.

Maybe show a little empathy for the concerns of new cruisers.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 15:35   #73

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

There area a few place listed here Americans may want to avoid.

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...swarnings.html

A few days in Port Harcourt, Iran, Gaza, Somalia might add a bit of depth to a light hearted opinion on people's willingness to take revenge on the innocent.
Old 24-07-2016, 15:41   #74
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
And don't lie about being Canadian. It's dishonest.
........ I am Canadian.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 15:51   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
........ I am Canadian.
I thought you were Massachusettsian.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote