Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 10:56   #211
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: Bumfuzzles Are On The Move and Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateman View Post
I've noticed that this thread seems to be much more polite and "nicer" than it's Sailnet Equal. Why is Cruisers much more laid back than SN? Obviously I'm a member of both. (LandLocked66c on SN)
cause the evil Nazi mods all live here and keep their eyes on everything, applying the be nice rule (as best we can) with Draconian heavy handedness!!

heh.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:01   #212

Cruisers Forum Supporter

oh, wait. I got that wrong....

maybe, just maybe... it's all of us here...

ya think?

Old 12-07-2011, 11:07   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
cause the evil Nazi mods all live here and keep their eyes on everything, applying the be nice rule (as best we can) with Draconian heavy handedness!!

heh.
Wow, that's tooo much work to do all those font colors! LOL

Thanks for a laid back site!
Old 12-07-2011, 11:21   #214
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamoron View Post
I hate to say it but, I'm pretty sure Bumfuzzle's sailing days are coming to an end once the next little one shows up. I have a feeling that Mexico will just end up being a permanent place they hang thier hats....going to be hard to sail with 2 little ones on a 43' mono....although, if they upgrade back to a cat, maybe they'll fight through it....still enjoy reading his blogs, even if they're landlocked.
While that may seem logical, Catamoron, Pat and Ali will very likely be heading for the Gulf of Cortez with both children during the next sailing season; that is, sometime after November 1st. Their intent is to cruise there for as long as they're enjoying it, then decide where they want to go after that.

Mexico will indeed be central to their lives, but it doesn't mean they'll be "landlocked." Puerto Vallarta has some of the easiest access to the sea and good sailing of any port on the west coast of Mexico. The condo they have, currently, was just a one-month thing for Ali and Ouest while they were waiting for Pat to move Bumfuzzle down to PV. Since it's paid for for several more days, they're taking advantage of its amenities, like the roof-top pool, before moving onto the boat.

In no time, the newest little Bum will be born, the family will adapt to the addition and it'll be time to sail to the Sea of Cortez. Don't worry that the sailing adventure is coming to an end . . . they're just adding crew for the next voyage.

TaoJones
Old 12-07-2011, 11:29   #215

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Don't worry that the sailing adventure is coming to an end . . . they're just adding crew for the next voyage.
Nice!!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:36   #216

Boat: 2012 Leopard 44

Wasn't intending to be a "nay-sayer" or lick the icing off the cake...its just the feeling I get when I read his latest posts....he loves Mexico, he has a newborn on the way, and has no plans outside of the next 2 months...I just think the writing is on the wall. Good luck to him, and I hope he does continue to cruise - but I know how difficult it is to raise 2 kids in a home, much less on a boat. And I figure he has the means to support whatever lifestyle he wants to give them.
Catamoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:45   #217

Quote:
Their intent is to cruise there for as long as they're enjoying it, then decide where they want to go after that.

TaoJones
That is my point exactly...."as long as it is enjoyable"...raising kids ain't no walk in the park - right now he's still in the taking-pictures-at-everything-they-do stage, but soon will come home-schooling (if still on a boat), friends, boyfreinds, etc.... to think through all of this, that Pat will still find it "enjoyable" is crazy. He'd have to be dead-set on making it happen, period. He's not, he has always said "as long as it's still fun". Just saying - it absolutely doesn't matter to me one bit, one way or the other.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:02   #218

<chuckle> There is no such thing as 'you home school 'em while I drive the boat...' It's a family thing, and like most cruising boat-schoolers the kids will have as much to say about whether they stop for a year (or 12) or not. I've known a family whose kids preferred to fly off to boarding school every year, rejoining for the adventures when they can. One family (Adrian, are you on here?) would sail for a year, then spend a year with kids in 'land school' wherever they'd got to, then sail for a year. It was the kids who pushed them to the south pacific, and then to the Med.

Blogs are like windows into the neighbour's house: we all like to think we do things better than they do. The entertaining ones are the modest ones who face problems and solve them, but we would have done it this way... Imo we are all leading exciting, challenging existences but we like to check how we are doing relative to everyone else.

Best of luck to the Bumfuzzles!

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 15:22   #219
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That is my point exactly...."as long as it is enjoyable"...raising kids ain't no walk in the park - right now he's still in the taking-pictures-at-everything-they-do stage, but soon will come home-schooling (if still on a boat), friends, boyfreinds, etc.... to think through all of this, that Pat will still find it "enjoyable" is crazy. He'd have to be dead-set on making it happen, period. He's not, he has always said "as long as it's still fun". Just saying - it absolutely doesn't matter to me one bit, one way or the other.
You've misunderstood, so I'll try again. Their intent is to sail the Sea of Cortez this coming sailing season, and will stay there for as long as they are enjoying the cruising in that waterway. When they are ready to sail somewhere else, they will do so, then cruise that locale for as long as they are enjoying it. When they're ready to sail somewhere else, they will do so . . .

Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat . . .

What they will not do is abandon the adventure. Getting to where they are now was all prelude to what they always wanted; that is, acquire a big, comfortable sailboat to raise their growing children aboard, then set off as a family to show the children all the cool things they saw on their first circumnavigation, when their little Bums were just a dream they shared.

They've started the family, acquired the big, comfortable vessel and made it seaworthy, are about to expand the family and will soon set out on the next phase of the adventure with the added bonus of watching the wonder of discovery in their children's eyes.

TaoJones
Old 13-07-2011, 05:27   #220

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Isn't that what all cruisers are doing? Doing it at long as they find it enjoyable.

That is certainly our intentions. We are in year 6 now and still finding cruising enjoyable. But when it becomes too much work or when either of us decide we are are not enjoying this any more, then we stop. Like every other cruising couple or family or single-hander we have met out here.

I wish the Bums all the best.

Judy
S/V BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 11:24   #221

Quote:

What they will not do is abandon the adventure. Getting to where they are now was all prelude to what they always wanted; that is, acquire a big, comfortable sailboat to raise their growing children aboard, then set off as a family to show the children all the cool things they saw on their first circumnavigation, when their little Bums were just a dream they shared.

TaoJones
I guess I will just agree to disagree....after reading the 4 year adventure, and now reading his latest blogs, I haven't ever got the impression that it was a dream of theirs to show their children everything they saw....maybe I missed that day. I think the die-hard sailors here want to think of them as the same...but I don't think so. They do what is fun and adventuresome at the time, and I just fear that with such small children, maybe living aboard won't be an ideal place....but, what do I know...it was just a feeling I got from his reads. Like I said, I hope he continues cause I'm a huge fan and would like to see him and his family in some out-of-the-way port sometime and buy him a beer and a pizza.
Old 13-07-2011, 15:22   #222

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Catamoron

How many times have you communicated with Pat and Ali over the years to know what's going on with them???
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 16:10   #223

ok....I suppose we're just trying to start a fight now?...Did I ever represent myself as anything other than a fan? or that I had any other knowledge other than a hunch? let it go...I've explained myself more than enough....and from which direction I was coming from....you have the ability and the right to disagree with my feeling.....and btw, you really don't have to have personal conversations with Pat and Ali to know what they are doing, or where they are going, or (gasp) a feeling you get from reading his posts...its all online. Or I could have just re-quoted my previous entry - I thought that was pretty clear and tied up my thoughts on the subject pretty good, but I guess I need to prove how little I actually know them personally so that you can tell me how unqualified I am to be able to have an opinion.
Old 13-07-2011, 16:13   #224

Cruisers Forum Supporter

move along here folks, nuttin ta see...

Old 17-07-2011, 14:24   #225

Boat: 48' Hi Star

I have no reason to doubt that they will continue living on their boat for the foreseable future. If for some reason they do decide to move ashore, I'm sure they will remain in Mexico to raise their kids. They've written several times how much they prefer Mexico to the USA. They love the simple life, raising their kids without TV, cell phones, video games, etc.

I can't blame them. When I look at their photos of Puerto Vallarta, I'm ready to pack my bags and move down there too!

I check their blog daily and am disappointed when there is no update for a day or two.

Tags
sailing