Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2010, 00:23   #1
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Challenge: Move a Few Things from Brisbane to Adelaide for Sailing Trip - Pallet ?

I'm taking November off and sailing a boat back to Brisbane from Adelaide. I am taking a one way flight there. I have a few bulky and medium weight items like bags of rope, anchor, sea anchor tools etc. I assume I will be charged one million dollars if I try to take this **** on a plane. Would would make the most sense to get this stuff there? Load it on a pallet and take it to a shipping company to truck it down? Any companies I should be ringing? Other ideas?

Cheers.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 12:47   #2
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'
Two years ago I shipped a very large painting (3X4.5) to the US from Sydney as excess baggage and it was only about 80.00. However, before I decided to do that I found a few freight forwarders online that will ship your excess luggage not too unreasonably. They were Australian firms. A quick search turned up Excess baggage, unaccompanied luggage, worldwide, by sea freight or air freight. as well as Austrian: Baggage Fees and Policy - SeatGuru which has a database of airlines and suggestions on how to avoid excess baggage fees. I have not personally used these sights. You might try posting it if the postal service will hold for pick up (what we call in the states general delivery) or direct to the marina if they will hold it for you. You might also check with local moving firms if you have a lot of stuff as usually if there is room you can get in a truck with someone else's stuff and only be charged for the amount of space you use (at least in the state's you can). Hope it works out for you.
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 18:45   #3
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Thanks I got someone from another forum to move all my stuff for a carton of beer
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:47   #4

Boat: Traditional 30
Dont use Jetstar. They are asking $7 per kilo these days. Talk to some local frieght co's. They usually have deals with the big boys (TNT etc). The national frieght co's usually dont talk single pallets. They want lots of parcels over a period, so forget contacting them. You could also try Fastway. They are franchised and the local bloke may be able to work a deal for you. BUT with them, nothing can be over 20 kilos and must be individual that a one man courier can carry.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 01:22   #5

Boat: Very Small
You might look at rail transport, Sadliers is the one I've delt with down south or perhaps a furniture removalist. Generally speaking without an account you'll have trouble getting a decent price from most trucking companies.
Charles1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisbane