Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2019, 13:07   #31

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462
Re: Would you keep the full cockpit enclosure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Since the panels store best flat, you can store them under a bunk without taking up significant storage space. We have a full enclosure that very rarely gets used. We do, on occassion, use the first panels on each side when a passage is expected to be rough and cold.
The other place a full enclosure comes in handy is when you end up wintering over somewhere that is rainy.
Since you are heading south, why not keep the enclosure until you feel you are far enough south that you are never going to be cold again?

It all depends on your tolerance for being cold. Wet, no problem as long as its warm (south of CA and Baja). But cold night wind, even from astern, no thanks. I got real tired of cold wind up and down the CA coast several times in a Cal29 with zero protection but I was young then and could take it in about 6 layers of polypro + foulies. Gave up that foolishness when I started cruising, got a full cockpit enclosure (fabric) on our current boat. Best thing I ever got for the boat. Still use parts of it as far south as Panama, when the wind is strong at night. Our foulies have not seen action since we got this boat, and good riddance!
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 13:26   #32

I'd keep the dodger, bimini and the in between top section (if that's what it is) on the boat. Possibly the side curtains between the dodger and bimini. Definitely save but store the aft side panels. All that stuff is expensive as sin now days.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 13:44   #33

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Pacific Seacraft (Crealock) 40 owner. Full enclosure came with the boat and we would not get rid of it. We live on it, and have traveled within the PNW - comes in very handy. We do remove the side panels and rear panels when sailing and lay them in the aft cabin; motoring - not so much.

Yes we understand the drawbacks of getting in and out to go forward for anything as well as dealing with the restricted space on the stern (think bbq in a very narrow space). We feel the trade off is well worth it. Current plans are to head south in late summer 2020 with the enclosure intact.

Ron
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 14:08   #34

Boat: Beneteau 361, 36

I had a enclousre that came with a previous boat. I sold that boat and have missed it since.
Just had my current boat measured for a new bimini and repairs to my dogger. I asked for a quote on a full enclosure. Now I know why I dont have one.....it was $7,000. I am sure costs are all over the place but that wont make the budget this year.
Gripfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 14:36   #35

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Since you are heading south, why not keep the enclosure until you feel you are far enough south that you are never going to be cold again?

It all depends on your tolerance for being cold. Wet, no problem as long as its warm (south of CA and Baja). But cold night wind, even from astern, no thanks. I got real tired of cold wind up and down the CA coast several times in a Cal29 with zero protection but I was young then and could take it in about 6 layers of polypro + foulies. Gave up that foolishness when I started cruising, got a full cockpit enclosure (fabric) on our current boat. Best thing I ever got for the boat. Still use parts of it as far south as Panama, when the wind is strong at night. Our foulies have not seen action since we got this boat, and good riddance!
If you are a long term distance cruiser then who knows where you will end up. We've spent most of our time in the tropics, but have also ended up in cold rainy places for extended periods, as well as doing some passages that having the extra side coverage was awfully nice.

If the original question was I'm short on cash, should I spend $4,000 on a full enclosure? The answer would be a quick no. But having the panels already it seems silly to dump them now when they can be stored under a bunk, or rolled in place.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 16:05   #36

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

I have a Full Dodger that I love,,,,especially in inclement weather. Common here in the PNW.

When its cold, heat from below decks comes up and warms the cockpit when its fully enclosed.
When its blowing spray or rain, just closing one side of the cockpit keeps it comfortable.

I bought some cheap beach towels that I use as spacers when I store the panels not in use, to protect the isinglass.
Sometimes I roll them up and stand them on end, other times I lay them flat under the aft cabin mattress.
I recommend keeping them for now. If in time you never use them, you can always get rid of them then.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 19:04   #37

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I would keep it for sure personally, but I have a pilothouse. If later you decide you do not want it the are plenty of folks cruising in Crealock and Pacific Seacraft 37's that would probably buy it.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 00:15   #38

Boat: Custom Catamaran

I’d keep it personally. First boat (Oday 34) came with a full enclosure and we used it all through the Bahamas and Florida. If it got to hot, we just rolled up a panel but as others have said, when it gets rainy or chilly, it’s invaluable.

Next boat was a 42ft ketch. Had a full dodger, bimini and side panels, and we used that around the UK, crossing Biscay, and down through France, Spain and Portugal.

Latest boat is a 40ft cat with a full enclosure. It’s made all the difference this past winter and massively extended living space. It is heavily angled at the stern though so I’ll soon be ditching the fabric and building a hardtop over the stainless tubing. The side panels I’ll then re-make out of isinglass / clear PVC and zips, with minimal fabric to maximise the view.

Doesn’t matter where you are in the world - it always get chilly at some point and you’ll be thankful for it.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 10:24   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

you willbe wanting that enclosure and with screens for tropics. shade and screens = comfort.
hot sun and bugs totally sucks. so, ditch enclosure at your own risk. i would have screened panels made to replace the isinglass ones.
now, arent you glad you asked a sailing and cruising forum for opinions.. hahahahaha
best o luck.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 10:28   #40

Boat: Catalina 36

A full enclosure like that would have been nice 2-3 weeks ago wen cruising the gulf & San Juan Islands. I’d keep them store until you do cold weather sailing.
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 11:02   #41

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmeistar View Post
Just bought a Crealock 37 with plans to go bluewater cruising full time, double-handing with my girlfriend. Currently in Anacortes, WA but planning to sail south 'till the butter melts and head to the South Pacific later this year.

The former owners of my boat had a custom full cockpit enclosure made (at great expense, I imagine). I'm sure its great to be in the cockpit and be able to be out of the weather, but it makes it difficult to access the stern lines/anchor. It's also tricker getting in and out of the cockpit.

So here's the question--which panels (if any) are worth keeping on board? Would we be crazy for getting rid of everything but the bimini and dodger? We hate to toss perfectly good stuff, but if we're not gonna use it and space is limited...

We are a couple of cruising noobs so hopefully somebody with a few miles under there keels can offer some wisdom!
Well ... looking at that lot at least your night vision won't be destroyed by a bit of back scatter from your nav lights.... it will simply be destroyed..

My boat came with a bimini when I bought her in 1994...... took it all down a month or so later.... hate not being able to see the mainsail.... last bit of the framework went into a dumpster about 5 years ago.

Bearing in mind that only mad dogs and englishmen go out in the midday sun and that the sun will be at such an altitude for much of the day that it will come in under your bimini anyway ... this what I use in the tropics and hot climates.... easy to trim ... easy to stow.... cost about $5...australian... plus the string....

I accept that 'you've got to dance with the one you brung' but I don't like high dodgers either .... I like to see where we are going and enjoy the scenery.... isn't that why we are out there?

Stow - don't chuck - the side panels... and that infill bit twixt dodger and bimini...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2928 (1).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	186680   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB100058.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	186681  

Old 26-02-2019, 12:31   #42

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

There is no denying that the enclosure adds to comfort under many conditions, just as many replies have said.

On the other side of the ledger...

The Crealock is a pretty boat as drawn. With the ungainly enclosure, not so much. In fact to my eyes, mud fence ugly!

The enclosure adds quite a lot of windage, and will degrade sailing performance on some points of sail.

And as Ping mentions above, it does impede visibility for watchkeepers, perhaps to a degree where it is dangerous.

Only you can decide which way the balance goes.

Jim
Old 26-02-2019, 15:05   #43

Boat: Nordic 44

With our enclosure, we have taken it from 46 North to 59N over five years. A couple of suggestions: Make it yours - the previous owners designed yours, perhaps with a different design objective. For use in the slip, only? Live with it a bit and list your gripes; primary winch won't lead fairly/can't access the stern cleat/sight lines forward and above are crap......
Once you or the previous owner have suffered the initial expense, modification and addition are pretty cheap.

Once put into use below 40N the UV clock starts clicking especially on sections left in place. Either store them or semi annual waterproofing and uv protectants. Cruisers at low latitudes report 3 to 5 year life cycles.
Until you depart 48N, there are few things more enjoyable in the winter or spring than extracting every bit of solar in the cockpit with an enclosure.
BTW nice boat!
japarker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 21:25   #44

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

We have a full enclosure and probably the most valuable thing we added are shade cloth substitute panels for the tropics.
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 22:47   #45

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Good god yes I'd keep it (and have a very good one that came with our Amel). All the above reasons: protected, can be surprisingly chilly mornings and nights and during night sailing, we played canasta the card game on our cockpit table in sweatpants instead of foulies Feb sailing thru a storm off Corsica, you might well get bored and sail to colder places, they are extremely expensive and likely custom made just for your boat, increase resale value, rain, etc.

One thing I didn't read mentioned: we love early mornings to come out and sit, coffee and relax in the cockpit. As ya know, many mornings, everything is dripping wet with condensation...dew point and all that. If you zip the enclosure before bed, everything all stays bone dry for that morning coffee

Like my previous owner told me: don't change anything for the first year. You don't know what you'll prefer till then. That's what I'd say to you.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, enc