Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2010, 13:40   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to caribcruiser
Vespa Scooter on My Boat ?

I was wondering if it would be reasonable to get a motor vespa scooter for my boat (32 ft), to take onto islands that I stay on for a while. This way I could see the islands more in depth. What do you think?
caribcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 13:54   #2

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Why not if you have space for it and can easily load and unload it. I gave thought to one also for my power boat.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 14:00   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to caribcruiser
I think it would work but it worries me that I have never seen it. I guess somebody has to be the first. Thanks for the input. Happy new year.
caribcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 14:12   #4

How do you get it to and from shore? They won't fit in most dinks. And it would seem that attempting to put a 200+ pound machine, with protruding metal parts, would be a recipe for eventual disaster in an inflatable on the load/unload shoreside. These would be my greatest concerns, but if you can overcome them, then it would be awesome to have the convenience of a full size scooter. We use these as a nice go between:

Lite, easily handled, and miserly on fuel. The even make tow behind trailers for shopping convenience.

As well as detachable seats:

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 14:15   #5

Boat: Tartan 37 #6
I carried a Honda 125 dirt bike,used to take off the front wheel ,go alongside, and swing it over on the main halyard. I visited many places I would otherwise have never seen, BUT you have to be very careful,bad roads and drivers !! Also the red tape involved with each different country might be a deal breaker. Bruce.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 14:19   #6

I would pull up to a dock to unload one IF I had one. I would also use my davit crane, the one I used to load/unload my Avon 10RIB with an 8HP motor, fuel tank and what nots. So for me, it would be an easy task. But who knows! Caribcruiser may have a 200# weight lifting girl friend that he takes sailing. (Just joking Carib--)

Foggy
Old 31-12-2010, 14:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamgoat View Post
I carried a Honda 125 dirt bike,used to take off the front wheel ,go alongside, and swing it over on the main halyard. I visited many places I would otherwise have never seen, BUT you have to be very careful,bad roads and drivers !! Also the red tape involved with each different country might be a deal breaker. Bruce.

Steam--- I completely forgot about the HALYARD! Before when we sailed, I used my jib halyard to lift my Avon and that sucker weighs 115#! Sure, a halyard could do the trick.

Foggy
Old 31-12-2010, 14:23   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
A quick check suggests they weigh in at 96 kgs for a 50cc model. Something like the old Honda Express would be much lighter. But what do you do about insurance for so many different locations?

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1977_honda_Nc50_1.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	22410  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 14:35   #9

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design
How about a regular bicycle with an electric conversion kit. We have them on three bikes we take to the Nascar races. They work great and when they run out of juice after about 10 miles, we pedal. The kits are around $300-$350 and are easy to install. The front wheel has a built in hub motor and replaces your original bike wheel. They wouldn't be much good for all day sightseeing but for a quick trip ashore...would work great. Just google electric bicycle kit. Probably wouldn't have to worry about insurance and registration either.
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 14:37   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

been a few threads about this - for me (with a 125 Vespa already. and a 900cc Triumph) am looking towards a Di Blasi. but I am not a heavyweight and at 30 foot not have a lot of room for motor vehicles onboard.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 14:50   #11

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
been a few threads about this - for me (with a 125 Vespa already. and a 900cc Triumph) am looking towards a Di Blasi. but I am not a heavyweight and at 30 foot not have a lot of room for motor vehicles onboard.
Which is???

Any info, pics etc?

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 14:53   #12

still trying to figure out how to get an ultraglide classic aboard????
dirtydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 15:01   #13

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydon View Post
still trying to figure out how to get an ultraglide classic aboard????
When you've got it worked out let me know... we're having to leave a beemer R1200C behind.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 15:14   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
When you've got it worked out let me know... we're having to leave a beemer R1200C behind.
A year or 2 back someone claimed to have a Hayabusa onboard - but pics never appeared

Di Blasi of America - FOLDING MOTORCYCLE MOTOR BIKE MINIBIKE MOTORBIKE MOPED COLLAPSABLE MOTORSCOOTER PORTABLE SCOOTER MINI-BIKES MINI BIKE PRIVATE PILOTS BOATS SAILING RECREATION TOURISTS ACCESSORIES TRAVEL AIRPLANES ALTERNATE TRANSPORTATION VEHICLE
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 15:22   #15

Boat: Jefferson Motoryacht 45' Whatever!
We have an Aprilia Scarabeo that we loaded onto and off our 45ft Motoryacht from docks. Carry it on the bow between dock boxes, covered to keep salt and salt water off it. We cut bow railing to be able to load and unload easily. Its a 100CC also made by the company that makes Vespa but has the larger wheels. Haven't gone out of the country with it, but it worked
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote