Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2015, 13:17   #1

Boat: Yet to purchase- as of 10-31-15
Trying to get started as liveaboard after divorce

Hi Everyone
This is my first time using this site. I am just starting out on my journey to establish a live-aboard lifestyle. I just don't know where to begin. I have some sailing experience, but not much. I have always dreamed of sailing around the world, but a 61 I would be happy to just live aboard, possibly changing ports from time to time and, with others I might meet, take shorter excursions to places such as the Bahamas. I'm quite sure I can locate a boat in Florida, or another warm coastal state and begin. I would love to hear from others for support. I would also much appreciate anyone who would be willing to swap phone numbers and actually talk.
Mark61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 13:32   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Trying to get started as liveaboard after divorce

Get out of Michigan. 75% of cruisers I've met have been from Michigan. Most of them were from someplace opposite the thumb. (a Michigan thing). Go to Florida, hang around a marina. You'll soon be talking to cruisers or ex cruisers, might even buy one of their boats. You've got at least 20 years of sailing ahead of you if you start now.
Old 31-10-2015, 13:34   #3

Are you living aboard now?
Old 31-10-2015, 13:43   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I do six months a year. Early December to late May. But I don't stay in marinas, couple of weeks to get the boat ready and then I'm off.
Old 31-10-2015, 14:02   #5

No. I haven't purchased one yet as my situation has just arisen. This is not, however, a knee-jerk reaction to my new situation. I have no illusions about port-hopping and picking up women. Nor do I envision non-stop beach parties and the like. I have just always loved the sea and warm climates. I really look forward to meeting people who have shed the trappings of our smart phone society and have shed as many rules, regulations and restrictions as is possible living aboard.
Old 31-10-2015, 14:18   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mark.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 14:24   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Mark, I was living aboard and based at marinas in Florida before I retired in 2002. Most of my experience is in Northeast Florida. but I've been living aboard and cruising in all areas of Florida since 1972. There's a huge variety in costs and amenities,- fancy places with glitzy tiki bars and pools to black water swamp fish camps.

There's a matching range of boats on the market. You can find something small and simple for less than 10K up to millions. It's very easy to find a quality used boat for one person at less than 30K and live in a nice marina for about $500 a month.

I think most people in your position do well if they have a clear list of the qualities that they desire in a boat; the patience, time and mobility to search for the boat; and the strength to follow though with a survey and walk away from a potential boat that doesn't measure up.

Last year I helped by Daughter's family search for their live-aboard trawler. We trimmed the boats on the internet market down to about fifty that we considered closely and twenty that we crawled through before finding theirs.
Old 31-10-2015, 14:46   #8

Boat: Custom 55

Mark,

Unless you have a particular attachment to the east coast, may I suggest that you take a look at California, with an eye to cruising/living aboard in Mexico. I think that the weather on Mexico's pacific coast is a lot more conducive to a newish aging sailor looking to get out and do a little bit of sailing. There is the added bonus down there of a few really excellent hurricane holes should you choose to summer there. These kinds of places are somewhat lacking in the Florida/Bahamas area.

We are based from the West Coast, so we are maybe biased, but I have found both the cruisers and the locals on the other side to be a bit more welcoming. No offense to the many fine folks we've met on the east coast, just a general observation.

I've got a little free time today (am currently in the N. pacific), PM me with your phone number and I'd be happy to talk to you.

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 14:52   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark61 View Post
Hi Everyone
This is my first time using this site. I am just starting out on my journey to establish a live-aboard lifestyle. I just don't know where to begin. I have some sailing experience, but not much. I have always dreamed of sailing around the world, but a 61 I would be happy to just live aboard, possibly changing ports from time to time and, with others I might meet, take shorter excursions to places such as the Bahamas. I'm quite sure I can locate a boat in Florida, or another warm coastal state and begin. I would love to hear from others for support. I would also much appreciate anyone who would be willing to swap phone numbers and actually talk.
Many people start cruising late in life. Probably most people, actually, since there's a big number that don't take off until they retire. Your age is no worry and if you take the time to get a seaworthy vessel that you enjoy sailing, you might surprise yourself with how far you can go solo or with crew.

Fair winds,
Old 31-10-2015, 15:03   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Trying to get started as liveaboard after divorce

We have yet to start, and it seems to me anyway with this upcoming anchoring ruling etc., that Fl is getting a little crowded, We have our boat in the Panhandle so will start in Fl, but don't expect to stay there very long.
I know nothing about the west coast though, maybe Mexico is a little more open, less crowded?

Oh, and just from our tooling around for the last year or so, you won't be alone, it seems many who Divorce later in life say to heck with it and go live on a boat

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 15:11   #11

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Don't forget the gulf coast. I have enjoyed stops in many places from Texas to the Florida Keys.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 31-10-2015, 16:17   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Regarding Florida anchoring regulations, it's important to note that the restrictions to anchoring in areas where there are mooring fields are limited to about seven specific locations. In addition, the restrictions to anchoring a "live-aboard" vessel is with the state's definition of a "live-aboard" vessel that does not include vessels that are cruising and move about occasionally. I find places to anchor without any comments from authorities at distances throughout the Florida coastal waters at intervals no more than 35 miles. I've also anchored in areas within Florida for months without any comment or approach from any authority.

It is true that, if you want to anchor in a developed metropolitan area for a long term with shore access for your dinghy without cost; then you will have trouble finding an opportunity, but that's common outside of Florida.

Living aboard in Florida is easy If you decide to rent a slip at times at a monthly rate or take a mooring at a lower monthly rate and also spend time anchoring about the state or sailing to the Bahamas.

Florida is only crowded for cruisers that follow the crowd and flock to those locations where the "snowbirds" roost!
Old 31-10-2015, 17:12   #13

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Mark61;

I'm near enough toyour age, recently divorced and nearly ready to move aboard permanently.
Get yerself to a coastal/bay port and find an inexpensive boat that suits you. Go small and go NOW!
If you find that the LA/cruiser lifestyle doesn't suit; yer not out a lot. If it *does* workout, make do w/smaller or get "foot-itis" and trade up BTW.smaller is cheaper,easier and "snug"/"comfy" and easy to clean.

Someone coined the˜phrase;
"Drinks six, eats four and sleeps two"
That, along with sufficient headroom, decent (operating) head and a good bunk are all ya need.

I don't believe you have enuff posts to makle/take private mesages; so I'll be brave and include a # if you wish to chat . seven 1 seven, 5 seven 2, five oh six 6. usually on and available most times; being retired 'n all

think that'll confuse the 'bots??

best,
Paul
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 21:01   #14

Boat: still looking for the right Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark61 View Post
No. I haven't purchased one yet as my situation has just arisen. This is not, however, a knee-jerk reaction to my new situation. I have no illusions about port-hopping and picking up women. Nor do I envision non-stop beach parties and the like. I have just always loved the sea and warm climates. I really look forward to meeting people who have shed the trappings of our smart phone society and have shed as many rules, regulations and restrictions as is possible living aboard.
We have some sailors in the 80ths... so never too late.

Take your time.... and dont think, that you can escape your bad experiences on land. It should not be the central motive that you have divorced... you will end in another diseaster, if you really dont like to live on a boat with all the duties.

So best: forget all this women thing... its an illusion to say: In every harbour a sailor has another women. We live in 21st century. And women earn nowadays their own money and kick a guy in the as**** if they dont have the feeling they can trust him and are just "fun objects" for males.

Mostly you wont see many women on boats... its still a male dominated sports world. And you'd need an excellent boat in good shape to become attractive to a lady. There are enough rich guys out there with big and impressive boats.

Another aspect: Think about "downsizing". This means for elder people: Avoid to buy a boat which is too big to handle easily... so long you dont have a big cheque book to pay lots of service staff to keep your boat in good shape.

Here a nice video about Down sizing by people in your age:

The rule is easy to follow: More simply more better...

Think about that the sales prize maybe is 40% you should calculate... of the total budget. Only some few take the courage to say: We dont have money, but we buy a boat.

Boat repairs, refits are extremly expensive, and always can happen the unexpected you need to take the boat out of the water for intensive repairs. Buying a boat is not the most expensive part.

The reality is quickly taking out the illusion about sailing with endless beachings and sunsets. - Mostly its hard work, its dirt, it can become unexpected expensive, and still its dangerous and risky.

The good news: You can adapt nearby every kind of style to your own needs. So long you have the right boat, in the right place...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ty-154873.html
Good luck !

P.S.: Some good video channels to get orientation...

Accidental Sailor Girl
... a teenager who grows up on a boat... excellent story telling about the beauty and same about the "ugly parts"
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL_...kEESj8Vaw-LG0Q

Teresa Carey has some interesting insights into living on a boat...

A good video how to find the right boat for living...

Mads is a Danish guy who produces wonderful videos which document how he managed the switch from land life to "living on a boat"... just started in August 2015 with.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...it-153053.html
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:10   #15

Boat: Scout 30

What about Panama? No personal experience but sounds like there are a lot of boats for sale at very reasonable prices, lots of islands to explore & great weather.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard