Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2019, 17:42   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Step one buy boat...step two??? Step three sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Eater View Post
I’ve never seen a boat race but that’s a good idea....
Any two sailboats going the same direction. That's a race. That's why you put the name on the stern...so the loser can see who beat them.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 21:59   #17

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Cal 2-29 is an excellent choice in a first boat. She'll perform very well, tough little boat, yet fully capable of some local cruising and you haven't spent a fortune to try out sailing. She is one you can have fun with daysailing or pack up for overnighters very easily. And I have never been to the Keys but it sounds like heaven to me!
One thing I did not know about the Cals of that era is the steel beam that supports the mast may need to be checked. Check post #4 here titled "beam," it may be a good thing to check, but I wouldn't panic about it!
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...al-2-29.70509/
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 23:10   #18

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

My motto when I bought my current boat and first 'big' boat.

Step 1: Buy the boat.
Step 2: Don't crash the boat.

So far so good.

Enjoy the learning process.
Old 27-04-2019, 05:00   #19

So as to the beam, I was able to discover that potential issue before purchase so I was able to look and see that either it was in great shape or was replaced at some point. I’m going to be looking at insurance tonight and hopefully get some quotes. I have looked at several sites and forums regarding tools needed, but does anyone have a suggestion for that tool I’ll twice a year but would be screwed without? The kind of tool I might think I don’t need until I really really do? Again thanks to everyone for all the kindness.
Lotus Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 05:24   #20

Boat: PEARSON 422

I second Fekless. The best way to gain some good sailing experience is to sign up for some local club races. I put up a couple flyers on the bulletin board at the local yacht club and at the public sailing center(St. Petersburg). I had the time of my life for a few years doing all the racing I could and deliveries for the skippers. Once you get on one boat you get offers from other boats. I tried to get as much experience on as many boats as I could. Priceless experience.

I also second getting to know all the thru hulls in your new boat. Replace hoses and hose clamps ASAP if you don't know when they were last replaced.
Old 27-04-2019, 07:22   #21

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Eater View Post
So as to the beam, I was able to discover that potential issue before purchase so I was able to look and see that either it was in great shape or was replaced at some point. I’m going to be looking at insurance tonight and hopefully get some quotes. I have looked at several sites and forums regarding tools needed, but does anyone have a suggestion for that tool I’ll twice a year but would be screwed without? The kind of tool I might think I don’t need until I really really do? Again thanks to everyone for all the kindness.
Good news about the beam. Now, how about the rigging? More specifically the swagings, that is the steel sleeve that the wire of the shrouds and stays goes into that has the threads that is tightened by the turnbuckles to hold up the mast. I know that is a mouthful, but I'll include a photo and link. Over time, if the rigging is older, the swaging, which is what is clamping onto the wire holding up the mast, can get cracked and split open from rust forming inside. Eventually this will weaken it to the point of failure. So a close inspection of the swagings to look for tiny rusty cracks where the wire enters is a good indicator of time to get new rigging to make sure the mast stays up. If the rigging is good, then time to go sailing!
As far as insurance, I have a local guy and I got my $300,000 liability the marina required and my boat (being older and low purchase price) I have insured for only $8000. I think the last time I paid was $186 for the year. You might check BoatUS for that and just shop around. Also I recommend joining BoatUS for the tow policy too. I NEVER would have imagined that in my youth. But it came in REALLY handy a while back when helping a friend move his boat up the coast and the engine died.

Check here:
Sailboat Rig Problems - J. Stormer

As far as tools, just the basics for now. I DO recommend getting KANO AEROKROIL which is a penetrating oil. It will come in handy for stuck nuts and bolts and turnbuckles. At some point it is a good idea to have a hacksaw and/or bolt cutters to cut rigging if you have the need in an emergency (extremely rare if the rigging is ok.) Keep tools wrapped and with something like WD-40 sprayed on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2019-04-27 at 7.19.08 AM.png
Views:	109
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	190868  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 16:42   #22
Marine Service Provider

Step one should be get knowledge and on-the-water experience, not by boat. You will realize this when you learn that no one will insure the boat if you don't have any experience because they fear you will want to try it out even with no experience and little knowledge.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 13:31   #23

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Welcome to CF and boat ownership Paul.

When I bought Sedna, step 2 was practice, practice, practice Fortunately that's a lot of fun. For me the toughest lesson was how to steer while casting off and docking in reverse. I found a row in our marina with many empty slips and practiced... people asked if I was in trouble, crazy, or needed help. "No Thanks... just practicing."

My other advice, don't be shy about asking for help or advice from your more experienced neighbors and keep good beer on-board to drink with them after you are safely tied up and the sails are flaked.
Old 30-04-2019, 13:46   #24
CLOD

Boat: none

Step 2, 3, 4 are easy to figure out

Go sailing!!!! if not comfortable going alonne get someone to go with who has experience (they are easy to find as sailors love to take someone else's boat out to break instead of theirs)
Old 03-05-2019, 09:01   #25

Boat: cal29

Hello, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase. As the proud owner of a 1970 Cal 29, I believe you will be very happy with your purchase. They are a fast comfortable cruiser and the Atomic 4 engine is a reliable workhorse. Both boats I have owned were equipped with A-4's and after 15 years sailing have never had an issue. You will have a vast warehouse of knowledge at your disposal through this forum that will safely keep you afloat for years to come. Bon Voyage.
alexanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:22   #26

Former cal 29 owner here. Great boat and generally found at a bargain. A excellent condition boat is about 10k, with a "sailable" modest project with running engine only a few thousand where I am.

Join the owners groups, find other others to share ideas and get feedback, etc. These arent super common boats so not all that easy to just Google for info, but common enough that there should be some owners willing to email back and forth and trade thoughts.

You mention insurance: usually you need a survey to get the insurance. In the meantime, check all the critical stuff yourself first. I.e.: a working sink isnt critical, but it better have a drain hose that is still new enough to be flexible and not cracked, 2 hose clamps, and a seacock that can be turned. Your radio doesnt need to be hooked up, but a working bilge pump and high water alarm does. Know the location of all through hulls and wooden plugs, etc, long list. Offshore racing checklists are one resource to help guide you, although they're not intended to be complete, but a minimal list.

I would echo the suggestion to invite local sailors onto your boat as well as to go out on other people's boats. You'll learn both ways.

As far as the question about tools, a basic tools kit is pretty straight forward, various sizes of wrenches, Allen wrenches, screw drivers, etc. Water/fuel keys.

It sounds like you have your head in the right place. Just keep being interested in learning and you'll find yourself still learning and improving decades from now while having accumulated a load of knowledge and skill.

The marines classes youre signing up for are great, but I would skip them if it means you dont have time to still get out and sail and work on your own boat. If you have time for both, definitely take them. Otherwise, YouTube and forums are your friend for each specific task.
jrau18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:24   #27

Boat: Sigma 36

2 weeks? My boat lives on a mooring in Portugal and is left for months at a time. I turn iff the gas and most seacocks. No problems so far. It’s ancient and worth little but still irreplaceable to me.
GBR134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 13:42   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Correction - When I am behind and losing ground or in front and losing ground, I am cruising. When I am holding ground or making ground I am racing - At least that's what the crew knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Any two sailboats going the same direction. That's a race. That's why you put the name on the stern...so the loser can see who beat them.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 15:13   #29

Boat: Island Packet IP440 - Moondance

Welcome to sailing and congratulations on your new boat! In addition to the prior excellent advice, you need to learn navigation and coastal piloting. In other words, where are you, where you want to go, and how to get there. Also, what are buoys, markers and lights and how do they tell you where it is safe to travel. I have a USCG Masters Pilot license, and believe your local power squadron has the best courses at the best price to learn these skills.
rhpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:48   #30

Consider an advanced sailing course. Moorings/Sunsail offer keelboat training and something more advance might be found with one of many of the off shore sailing schools like Steve Colgate. Check the below link for more of an idea.
Adventure Sailing Plus Ltd - Adventure Sailing
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailing