Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2016, 10:31   #451
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Richardson Bay liveaboards, heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Jer View Post
...LOL, you're funny...as well as defensive I see hahaha, sorry i struck a nerve there but that's your identity you created for yourself and your problem as a whole in regards to "boat people culture"..I see you're selling something like a lot of boat people and what I explained so no wonder you got defensive...keep trying to minimize those who aren't profitable to your schemes..so transparent! SMH..fun watching defensive people try to save face when outed.
I have to say this . I am one of those people that don't have much money. It makes me seriously wonder why I did what I did . Which was to disagree with you on so many fronts while at the same time be willing to defend to the death your right to be as narrow minded and bigoted as you appear to be. ( ht1 disability retired).
Old 15-03-2016, 10:46   #452
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Some people are boat trash...some just act like it...
It is fun to watch old Sailor jer boy squirm and play the fool.

Another round...
Being retired at 38 and casting off cruising gives me some time...next insult from the insult tree. Bring it on...

Internet bullies get called out for what they are my friend.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 10:51   #453
ASD

Boat: Camargue Yacht Fisher 48ft

Back to the RB discussion or time to close this thread?
ASD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 11:00   #454

Dear sir,

Please recognize that you have attacked one of the nicest and most respected members of this forum, who gives freely of his time and expertise to help others.

You attacked the wrong guy for starters. Bad move on your part.

You shouldn't be attacking anyone.

Please desist. Thanks.

Your material is drivel.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 11:14   #455
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

When wrestling a pig...ah never mind...it would be lost on some anyway. Besides we don't want to give bacon a bad name.

Opps...nice IP Address...looks like another poster we know....oh the irony.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 11:23   #456

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Well I retired at 36. :-) So there.

Not really, I was getting a degree in Architecture at 36.
Old 15-03-2016, 11:50   #457

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

So you've been attacked.... on the interwebs, oh the humanity.

I think people are trying to tell you you're being a right wanker.

Luckily I had planned to to jump in and clean the slime off my hull about now. Seems appropiate.
Old 16-03-2016, 07:25   #458

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASD View Post
Back to the RB discussion or time to close this thread?
I vote anyone making this thread a platform for personal attacks find someplace else for it.

I've been holding back important information pending an uncertain outcome... Relevant to the subject matter with potentially long term implications for Richardson Bay. So, knock it off!
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 07:32   #459
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
I've been holding back important information pending an uncertain outcome... Relevant to the subject matter with potentially long term implications for Richardson Bay. So, knock it off!

Pray tell do share new information relevant to the topic of the planned moorings and anchoring controls.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-04-2016, 15:45   #460

Boat: O38 & J24

It is both predictable and unfortunate that boating restrictions are increasingly being imposed by lawmakers and regulators. Florida is the latest example where a set of restrictive anchoring bans were just signed into law. With a description that I would consider apropos of Richardson Bay, one angry Florida lawmaker described some of the anchorage areas where squatters permanently reside in derelict boats as "some sort of floating Malaysian town”. As I’ve commented elsewhere, when landlubbers in power from Florida to California look out from the shore and are outraged at what they see, they will eventually act by passing laws designed to deter a small minority of irresponsible individuals that unfortunately impact all boaters. Those who defend the abusers are merely abetting and accelerating these restrictions that harm responsible boaters.
Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 17:07   #461

Boat: O38 & J24

FYI: See recent 4/15/16 local newspaper article: Enforcement takes center stage in Richardson Bay ‘anchor out’ debate
Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 07:20   #462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluer de Mer View Post
Point#1. The Marin Independent Journal is the mouthpiece for the Richardson Bay Regional Authority. So, anything the RBRA wants you to believe gets printed. And, in this case the RBRA wants folks to believe it's actually going to do some enforcement in concert with the Sausalito Police Department... So, that's what the article says.
Point#2. Sausalito is still witholding their periodic contribution to the RBRA. And, since this represents over 40% of RBRA operating funds, the RBRA is in idle mode...
Point#3. The RBRA is in flight or fight mode, with serious cracks in the veneer of normality. It's got to appear to be doing something though in order to justify its existence, which is becoming more difficult to do. So, it's adopting a "fight posture", playing the "tough guy".
Point#4. The Joint Powers Agreement executed between Tiburon, Sausalito, Mill Valley, Marin County and Belvedere requires the withdrawal of only one member to bring the whole house of cards down. Will this be Sausalito? The city is unhappy with the $ split between the participating cities, since it is paying significantly more while providing police and emergency services other cities manage to avoid.
Point#5. My next lawsuit against the RBRA will ask the court for an order directing the Agency to establish clearly marked anchorage and non-anchorage zones, which the Shared Powers Agreement says it "shall" do, but never has...
Point#6. I'm betting you won't be seeing any significant enforcement measures taken any time soon. The RBRA is too afraid of being sued by rightiously disgruntled and angry boaters...
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 09:17   #463
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I'm still trying to figure out how 150 anchor outs destroy boating for everyone else. Really there is lots O space to anchor in Richardson bay for a few days or a month. I see folks sailing about some too within the bay, so not much of a restriction there either. I don't really see an impact to other boaters.

There is also tons of seabirds and sealions on the bay and they don't seem to be impacted either.

To my eye's there seems to be fewer boats there, least in the south side of the bay when I stayed there a week last month. Even kayaked by Wrongs boat, but he was not there. Really it's a community of people in that they all know one another and help one another out.

Though I do see having to look out over the bay and see a bunch or poor people living next door, could be the problem. I can only imagine what that must be like.

My guess talking to the folks on the bay, is that there will be anchor outs there for many years to come.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 19:35   #464

There are opinions, and then there are facts. And personally, I wouldn't drop a pick in that mess. Roll the dice enough and one is bound to hook one of the hundreds of pieces of junk tossed down for use as an illegal mooring sooner or later. Latest news from the city:

Since January 2016, the Sausalito Police have been working on a plan to address safety and quality of life issues on the Sausalito waterways. A recent survey revealed that sixty-three vessels are currently anchored in Sausalito waters, a significant increase over past years. With the increase in the number of boats, the Sausalito Police have also seen an increase in crime and environmental and navigational hazards.

In order to address these negative issues, the Sausalito Police Department is implementing a plan to reduce the number of vessels anchored in Sausalito waters. This plan consists of five phases:

Phase 1: Research and Fact Finding
During this phase, the Sausalito Police Department is researching City ordinances, special statutes and state and federal laws regarding vessels at anchor. The goal of this fact finding is to determine which laws are applicable to meet the needs of the City.

Phase 2: Public Education and Outreach
Outreach efforts are already underway, with a January presentation to City Council and a waterfront community meeting in March. As the plan progresses, the Sausalito Police Department will keep the public informed of its actions. An effort will also be made to educate the public about applicable maritime laws. Outreach will include flyers, another public meeting and articles in the Currents.

Phase 3: Enforcement
After the public education and outreach phase, the Sausalito Police Department will begin the enforcement phase of the plan. This will include issuing citations to vessels and vessel owners for violations such as expired registration, excessive or unsafe debris on deck, and other violations of applicable codes and ordinances.

Phase 4: Abating Marine Debris Vessels
In addition to issuing citations, the Sausalito Police Department will actively abate vessels that meet the criteria of marine debris. "Marine debris" is defined as a vessel or part of a vessel, including a derelict, wreck, hulk, or part of any ship or other watercraft or dilapidated vessel that is not seaworthy and not reasonably fit or capable of being made fit to be used as means of transportation by water. The term "vessel" includes every description of watercraft or other artificial contrivance used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation by water. Per section 551 of the California Harbors and Navigation Code, marine debris that is floating, sunk, partially sunk, or beached in or on a public waterway can be removed and destroyed.

Phase 5: Abating Unregistered/Undocumented and Unoccupied Vessels
Once the vessels that meet the definition of marine debris are removed, the Sausalito Police Department will begin to abate those vessels which are unoccupied and not currently registered or federally documented. Section 523 of the California Harbors and Navigation Code allows law enforcement to remove a vessel from the public waterways if the vessel's registration has been expired for a year or more. If an abated vessel is not properly registered or federally documented after a period of thirty days, it can be disposed of or sold.

If you have any questions, please contact Lieutenant Bill Fraass at (415) 289-4171 or bfraass@ci.sausalito.ca.us
Caddy Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 21:42   #465
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

To clarify, the sausolito water ways are to the west of the channel. The east side where the majority of the anchor outs are located are not effected but the new regs. Really it's the same laws that have been on the books for ages. Nothing new really.

I've been there several dozens of times over the years and never once had an issue with a fowled anchor.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, liveaboard