Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2013, 16:31   #31

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Re: Vegan Liveaboards?

We are vegan liveaboards. It is indeed a bit tough. Our usual diet consists of brown rice or pasta and tofu stir fries, or lentil salads.We rarely finish them so the leftovers often require extensive refrigeration which is hard to come by aboard. Likewise we often use frozen veggies in our cooking when on land and are unable to aboard our boat which just has a crappy cold plate. Living aboard produces many challenges but the ice box is definitely one of the most annoying.
Old 25-08-2013, 16:41   #32

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I won't say I have gone totally healthy on eating (or anything else!) in recent years, but nonetheless Caffeine, Nicotine and Guinness are no longer 3 of my 5 a day . and sometimes all 5 .

Nowadays my diet includes lots of fruit and nuts, more by accident than design and also not so much meat (never giving up bacon though so unlikely to become a vegan, or a fruitairean!) - strangely enough my weight went up , albeit that also related to other health stuff coming to a close ........am presently trying to knock off a stone (14lbs), including via the miracle of exercise .........can't say I will be in the next Olympics, but certainly feel a lot better / healthier in recent times than for many a year. or decade .

Not sure how the above fits in with this thread , I guess just to say that where there is a will there is a way and eat what you like does not have to be dull or unhealthy. and healthy food does have an effect, running on 2 star (or fumes!) only works for so long.......
Likely it's the nuts that are putting on the pounds. They are very calorie-dense. Try cutting back to no more than 10-20 nuts per day. Don't eat nuts when you're hungry, as you'll want to eat them by the handful. Fill your stomach with lower density foods before you start gobbling nuts, for example -- eat a whole grapefruit first, or save the nuts for dessert after a meal.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 16:44   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post

Cheers Matt...and the short answer is "yes". The longer answer is that it will depend on the recipe you're preparing, but for the great majority of recipes, it's "yes"

How about we send you -- Would you prefer PM or Post here? -- some bean-based goulash and curry recipes?
Thanks for replying to my post. PM sent, here's most of the text (for public viewing, for anyone interested):

Yes please, i'd love to see a sample of recipes.

When it comes to cooking, i'm a slow learner. I can cook a few dishes very well, but that's only after having screwed it up a dozen times. Hence the need to see recipes and maybe a video or two - i need generally cooking instructions in idiot-proof form.

I'm moving aboard next month, but i'll have to hold down a job for about a year before i have enough to sail off into the sunset, so i'm looking for time-saving ways of preparing the evening meal. And because i like my pulses, to do them right takes hours, and i don't want to be waiting until 9pm to eat!

Cheers,
Matt
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 16:46   #34
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
Our modern diet is not 'normal'. It is a fad, a one hundred year fad. It's really not, "fine". Almost all food in western culture is primarily built totravel.That"DOUBLBEEFANDBACONDON'THOLDTHECHEEZE! " .

I agree with you. Our modern diet is whats killing us. Mass amounts of sugar is the death of us, in my belief. But many nutricialialsists are saying sugar is good for you. Government sponsored ones in Australia are actually saying sugar is good for you!

I am on a no sugar (ok very low sugar) diet. Its a low carbohydrate diet.

Now its a great diet when one is in a great port with super supermarkets... but without a whoppin' huge freezer it just aint gunna work more than half an hour outside said wonderful port! Same with vegans(whatever).

The Caribbean go;ks are saying on this thread you can do it but be careful and watch the weekly ship come in... but hang on! The Caribbean is the EASIEST place in the world to provision! Try the Pacific, Asia, Arab world, any 3rd world country... all of a sudden being a vegan, low carb, vego, hi meat on, on, on, is all just BS. You eat what you can buy. Or you starve.

It would be stupid to the extreme for folks not to visit some wonderful country because they have a rod up their bum about what food they will allow to pass their lips.

So it could be grasshopper and lentil soup.... Lets hope not... But thats what we are out here doing as cruisers: Learning about out peoples cultures.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 16:57   #35

Danielle,
aren't you Vegan because of the horrible way food is processed? Now that you are on the open ocean you can forage fresh fish! you can make your own sushi!!! also I read that the Chinese grew been sprouts on their ships as they are high in vitamin C and prevent scurvey. ,
oceanaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 17:47   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Another important strategy for produce shopping in the islands is to ask when the "ship comes in". Many produce bins are stocked fresh one day each week and if you shop the day before then the options will be small and limp!
In the Bahamas out islands they call it the mail boat and in the small settlements it may come once a week or even once a month.

Often it would be the only time the local market would have any sort of veggies at all. First come, first served.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 18:19   #37

Boat: a sailing boat

A word of warning to sprout lovers: make sure you start with clean seeds ...

Some time ago in Germany there were many people very, very sick when sprouts were grown from polluted seeds. Goo gle up for more if you like, and beware.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 18:32   #38
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMermaid View Post
Ok, wild and crazy question and please don't eat me for breakfast for asking, but are there any liveaboards that follow a vegan lifestyle?

We have recently changed our diets drastically and it occurred to me that plant based diets may have a harder time getting fresh veg/fruit while cruising. I haven't cruised at all (yet), so I'm just wondering how hard it might be to sustain our diets along those avenues.

Thanks much for any info in advance!

~Red
eat kelp, and drift wood.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 18:47   #39
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
eat kelp, and drift wood.
ROTFL

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 19:28   #40

Thanks to the OP for the question and this thread!

I'm wondering what type of blender or food processor (if any) you all keep aboard? We are a green smoothie drinkin' and hummus eatin' family.
Blue Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 19:33   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Try what is called 'pimenton dulce de la vera'. It is SMOKED, powdered paprika. You add some to any dish and it makes it taste completely like there is smoked bacon in it!

Very practical at sea and also a good nicorette ;-) for those who are converting to less meat more green diets.

PS It is made in Vera, Extremadura which is a Western province of continental Spain. Available online.

Cheers,
b.
That's good to know but, I really like the crunch and texture of the TVP. Can even eat them right out of the can too for a snack. I'm very pleased with the product. I'm not a vegitarian but, the bacon TVP works for me. Found it best not to rehydrate it before cooking then it still retains a little crunch.
Old 25-08-2013, 19:40   #42

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jaguar View Post

I'm wondering what type of blender or food processor (if any) you all keep aboard? We are a green smoothie drinkin' and hummus eatin' family.
There is only one answer that question and it is the almighty Vitamix. And if your outboard craps out I think the motor on it is like 75 hp. The thing is so solid it can actually heat soup with the friction it causes at high speeds. Made in America too with a bad ass warranty.
Old 25-08-2013, 19:42   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jaguar View Post

Did somebody say hummus?
Hummus: The Rap - YouTube

Hummus spread on Romaine lettuce leaves with a slice of tomato is a regular late summer afternoon snack of mine.

I use a Braun 400 hand blender for when I need to mix things up.
Old 25-08-2013, 19:57   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post

There is only one answer that question and it is the almighty Vitamix. And if your outboard craps out I think the motor on it is like 75 hp. The thing is so solid it can actually heat soup with the friction it causes at high speeds. Made in America too with a bad ass warranty.
LOL. Yes! The power draw was my concern on the Vitamix, but glad to hear it could be deemed even more multi purpose than I had imagined.

We've had an okay blender, but have wanted a Vitamix for years. Well, I finally broke the thing, so it's blender shopping we go.
Old 25-08-2013, 20:01   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post

Did somebody say hummus?
Hummus: The Rap - YouTube

Hummus spread on Romaine lettuce leaves with a slice of tomato is a regular late summer afternoon snack of mine.

I use a Braun 400 hand blender for when I need to mix things up.
Nice vid. Lol

Yummy snack! I've had problems with bread over the past few years, so I make wraps and even tacos on romaine. Have you heard of thug kitchen? Salty language, but (or is 'and' the better word here?) the food is Delicious!

https://m.facebook.com/thugkitchen?i...369426068&_rdr

Tags
liveaboard