Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2015, 14:46   #31

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978
Re: Much of a boat - just for fun

Bought my 1978 Bristol 35.5 (keel/cb) for $21000. To date have replaced standing rigging (1500), a number of thru-hulls (750), dodger (150-i am sewing), chain plates pulled, inspected, re-bedded (450 -both in perfect shape), chartplotter (550), mounted VHF (125), survey (350), state sales tax (1350), replaced all interior incandescent bulbs w/ LEDs (125). My short list needs; running rigging replaced soon (est 1200), mainsail cover (100-i will sew), install shore power access/battery monitor/charger (est 850), install fresh water filtration (est 350), need storm trysail (est 600), replace lifelines w/ dyneema (est 700), drogue (est 500). She will sail anywhere, now just up to me to garner the experience. thanks
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 15:05   #32

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I would add the mid 80's Hunter 34 to your list. Good basic gear and tons of space below.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 15:06   #33

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy.

What follows is written in a truly friendly voice, with respect and with the sole intent to continue a friendly discussion.

I am not writing this to prove you wrong. I am simply offering a different view of the same topic we are discussing. You can have a different view (and you do).

As I recall, you have not yet done much or any sailing on a sailboat (I remember the Navy time you mentioned in another thread). Is that correct? Please confirm or correct me if I am wrong. I may have you mistaken with another new member who has a similar desire for an inexpensive boat, etc.

IF that is the case, you might not have much time sleeping inside a midsize sailboat (about 35 feet) or smaller.

As I see it, the lack of a quarter berth is no great loss.

In fact, on many of the smaller boats I would prefer a boat without a quarter berth, if I were looking at the lower priced boats which you are looking for today.

Why?

In the following I will try to describe this from a "single older man" POV (Point of View). I will assume you wish to live aboard the boat and will mostly be by yourself (with possibly a visitor or two on occasion) and as I recall from other threads, you wish to spend most of your time at anchor, rather than in a marina.

1. The quarter berth on most boats is used for storage of junk (like a garage)

2. The quarter berth on most boats has low 'headroom' and so can be like a "coffin" to some people.

3. A quarter berth is something you have to enter feet first. Conversely, the mid cabin settee is easy to enter or exit by simply rolling to one's side.

4. A mid-cabin (saloon) settee (with lee cloth) can be more comfortable while on a passage. Less noise from winches or people in the cockpit on night watch.

5. A mid cabin (saloon) "double" can be more roomy and much more like a double bed when at anchor in a marina slip. I have seen some that look very roomy and appealing as a place to sleep.

6. A Vberth can be more comfortable when at anchor, because the front hatch can be kept open, the boat will point to the wind, and that fresh air will flow into the space (the forward cabin) keeping the sleeping people cool. Conversely, the quarter berth may have no ports, no hatch, and be very stuffy and hot AND confining.

7. If the boat does not have a quarter berth, it is because the designer used that space for another purpose, such as a large cockpit locker where a water maker, genset, sails, fenders, outboard, folding bikes, or similar gear can be stored or mounted.

In sum, I would not eliminate a boat because it did not have a quarter berth. I would likely look at as preferable for some smaller boats.
Old 29-05-2015, 15:14   #34

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
If you want coffins get a 31Sunrunner. The forward berths are. But what the hell your just looking for some Zs.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 15:16   #35

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I bought a Paceship 29 for $100. I bought it sight unseen online, and sailed it 150 miles home, with my two small kids for crew. I first had to remove a microwave oven, tv, and enough useless junk/garbage to fill a minivan completely. It took me an hour or two to get the atomic 4 to start each morning. The batteries were pretty much flat. I think the engine was running on only 3 (maybe 2) cylinders at first, but after the first 7 hours of motoring, another cylinder kicked in and we picked up a knot of speed. However, the sails worked, and it was a solid boat. We had a blast. Except when the engine quit in the middle of the Murray Canal. I had my own charts, handheld vhf, flares, and of course my trusty old garmin etrex. A great adventure. My kids got to see me take an old boat, and with some hard work and not too many dollars, make it into a pretty nice "yacht".

I think $20k is a lot to spend on a boat. There are so many old boats for sale right now...many of them are excellent, just need some TLC, and the prices are very "negotiable".
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 15:25   #36

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I bought a Paceship 29 for $100. I bought it sight unseen online, and sailed it 150 miles home, with my two small kids for crew. I first had to remove a microwave oven, tv, and enough useless junk/garbage to fill a minivan completely. It took me an hour or two to get the atomic 4 to start each morning. The batteries were pretty much flat. I think the engine was running on only 3 (maybe 2) cylinders at first, but after the first 7 hours of motoring, another cylinder kicked in and we picked up a knot of speed. However, the sails worked, and it was a solid boat. We had a blast. Except when the engine quit in the middle of the Murray Canal. I had my own charts, handheld vhf, flares, and of course my trusty old garmin etrex. A great adventure. My kids got to see me take an old boat, and with some hard work and not too many dollars, make it into a pretty nice "yacht".

I think $20k is a lot to spend on a boat. There are so many old boats for sale right now...many of them are excellent, just need some TLC, and the prices are very "negotiable".
You have that right. I can't believe the ads with pics of boats that the top sides are grungy and owners junk is scattered below
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 15:37   #37

Boat: Albin 25

I feel the urge to tout: The Albin 25 goes all season (say 5 months) on a half tank of fuel (mostly weekends plus a holiday) and has a galley, head, v-berth with overhead hatch, aft cabin with 2 singles, built in ice box or 12v fridge, pilot house and passenger cockpit Lounge. High cockpit sides so great for young ones. Cheap to dock @ 25 feet.
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 16:00   #38
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This looks like a lot of boat you could buy today for $10,000 (buy it now) or possibly less on auction.

Located on the Chesapeke. Shoal draft Centerboard 34 foot , 1983

1983 34' Sabre Centerboard Sailboat | eBay.

I have seen worse looking boats for more money (asking price).

But, this is just to illustrate what we all know already: There are boats out there for sale for less than $20,000.

The question will always be: In what condition is it?

Good luck on your boat search.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sabre 34 Centerboard 1983 $10K.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	349.6 KB
ID:	102900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sabre 34 Centerboard 1983 $10K cockpit.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	102901  

Name:	Sabre 34 Centerboard 1983 $10K Galley.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	102902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sabre 34 Centerboard 1983 $10K head.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	102903  

Name:	Sabre 34 Centerboard 1983 $10K nav.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	102904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sabre 34 Centerboard 1983 $10K Saloon.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	102905  

Name:	Sabre 34 Centerboard 1983 $10K Saloon2.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	102906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sabre 34 Centerboard 1983 $10K Vberth.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	102907  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 16:42   #39

Boat: None

I found this Fatty Goodlander book to be enormously helpful and inspirational in the context of doing the dream on the cheap. Some of it is dated now (no free docks in Ft. Lauderdale anymore, that's for sure). But it's philosophically fantastic: Buy-Outfit-Sail-Inexpensively-Safely
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 18:18   #40

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I have been sailing for over half a century. Saw two French guys sail into Antigua on a 21 ft boat who left France with a bag of rice. Met a guy in Lahaina that solo'd from LA in a 19'. You can do whatever you want. Buy all the Nigel Calder books (Get them at Thrifty Books for nothing). Make him your god and do everything yourself. Find a boat that needs a lot of work and make it your life.
Not for everyone but there are some great boats out there available for next to nothing.
Rebuilding a diesel is not that hard. One step at a time. Some people give their boats away when the diesel goes. Pearson's are great boats. Have had problems with Hunters but some people like them.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 18:56   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I dunno what "much of a boat" means. If it's mine and its all I've got, it's the world to me.

If I've got millions and a huge yacht with a paid crew, and I see it four times a year, then there is little emotional connection. It may be a hell of a yacht but it ain't "much of a boat" to me.

What's that quote?

Quote:
Not just the Spanish Main, love. The entire ocean. The entire wo'ld. Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 19:05   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
As I recall, you have not yet done much or any sailing on a sailboat (I remember the Navy time you mentioned in another thread). Is that correct? Please confirm or correct me if I am wrong. I may have you mistaken with another new member who has a similar desire for an inexpensive boat, etc.

IF that is the case, you might not have much time sleeping inside a midsize sailboat (about 35 feet) or smaller.
Correct, I do not have a boat yet.

Quote:

As I see it, the lack of a quarter berth is no great loss.

Why?

In the following I will try to describe this from a "single older man" POV (Point of View). I will assume you wish to live aboard the boat and will mostly be by yourself (with possibly a visitor or two on occasion) and as I recall from other threads, you wish to spend most of your time at anchor, rather than in a marina.
Not exactly. A couple of things.

1) I am doing this for myself, and often by myself. However...
2) I have a long time friend, a guy that who lived on a cat as a kid, who actually triggered my memories of wanting to go to sea in ships... who may end up doing this with me.
3) I have two small kids - 11 and 13 currently, who will likely spend significant time with me.

So while it is entirely possible that I will be doing this entirely alone, and at times almost certainly will, it is also likely that there will often be times when I have company, perhaps for weeks or months. One of the reasons why a 37' would be better than a 33'.

Quote:
1. The quarter berth on most boats is used for storage of junk (like a garage)

2. The quarter berth on most boats has low 'headroom' and so can be like a "coffin" to some people.

3. A quarter berth is something you have to enter feet first. Conversely, the mid cabin settee is easy to enter or exit by simply rolling to one's side.

4. A mid-cabin (saloon) settee (with lee cloth) can be more comfortable while on a passage. Less noise from winches or people in the cockpit on night watch.

5. A mid cabin (saloon) "double" can be more roomy and much more like a double bed when at anchor in a marina slip. I have seen some that look very roomy and appealing as a place to sleep.

6. A Vberth can be more comfortable when at anchor, because the front hatch can be kept open, the boat will point to the wind, and that fresh air will flow into the space (the forward cabin) keeping the sleeping people cool. Conversely, the quarter berth may have no ports, no hatch, and be very stuffy and hot AND confining.

7. If the boat does not have a quarter berth, it is because the designer used that space for another purpose, such as a large cockpit locker where a water maker, genset, sails, fenders, outboard, folding bikes, or similar gear can be stored or mounted.

In sum, I would not eliminate a boat because it did not have a quarter berth. I would likely look at as preferable for some smaller boats.
Yep... and yep. But given that I will likely have company, probably for longish periods, I want a place I can sleep and give the v birth up if necessary. I lived in a 35" X 80" X 30" "rack" on the aircraft carrier. I understand the size I am talking about (quarter berth) and it will likely be me sleeping there if company comes. And I am good with that.

I actually prefer a center cockpit with aft cabin, and am trying real hard to get that but in lieu of that, a quarter berth will do.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 19:12   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

If it were me, I would look for a boat with a PILOT berth. Damn the quarter berth.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 19:14   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
Bought my 1978 Bristol 35.5 (keel/cb) for $21000. To date have replaced standing rigging (1500), a number of thru-hulls (750), dodger (150-i am sewing), chain plates pulled, inspected, re-bedded (450 -both in perfect shape), chartplotter (550), mounted VHF (125), survey (350), state sales tax (1350), replaced all interior incandescent bulbs w/ LEDs (125). My short list needs; running rigging replaced soon (est 1200), mainsail cover (100-i will sew), install shore power access/battery monitor/charger (est 850), install fresh water filtration (est 350), need storm trysail (est 600), replace lifelines w/ dyneema (est 700), drogue (est 500). She will sail anywhere, now just up to me to garner the experience. thanks
Hoodsail, this is exactly the kind of thing I anticipate. Yep, the boat will not be perfect. Yep I will replace stuff. But my math shows you paying 21K for a 35' boat and then $5475 so far. You have a stellar boat already. You anticipate another $4500. So for the neighborhood of $32000 you have purchased and brought up to snuff a boat that another poster claimed would not be possible for under 100K+.

Yep it isn't new but I read pride in your post. And you are enjoying yourself as you do it.

I have to admit that if I had the bucks I would likely spend $200K and go sailing next month. Since I don't I will take your lead and do the same kind of thing you are doing.
Old 29-05-2015, 19:15   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I would add the mid 80's Hunter 34 to your list. Good basic gear and tons of space below.
It has long been on my list.

Tags
fun