Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2015, 19:18   #46

Re: Much of a boat - just for fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeachbum View Post
I found this Fatty Goodlander book to be enormously helpful and inspirational in the context of doing the dream on the cheap. Some of it is dated now (no free docks in Ft. Lauderdale anymore, that's for sure). But it's philosophically fantastic: Buy-Outfit-Sail-Inexpensively-Safely
I have it, and I have read it.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 20:43   #47

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
...So for the neighborhood of $32000 you have purchased and brought up to snuff a boat that another poster claimed would not be possible for under 100K+...
It's one thing if you don't know what you're talking about, but please don't make up misinformation when you paraphrase me. If you spend part of your life overhauling an old boat, instead of paying someone to do it for you, it still cost you. And if you stop at $32k, because that's all you could manage, you are just accepting to put up with a level of neglect.

You'll learn.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 21:32   #48

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellanyachts View Post
I have been sailing for over half a century. Saw two French guys sail into Antigua on a 21 ft boat who left France with a bag of rice. Met a guy in Lahaina that solo'd from LA in a 19'. You can do whatever you want. Buy all the Nigel Calder books (Get them at Thrifty Books for nothing). Make him your god and do everything yourself. Find a boat that needs a lot of work and make it your life.
Not for everyone but there are some great boats out there available for next to nothing.
Rebuilding a diesel is not that hard. One step at a time. Some people give their boats away when the diesel goes. Pearson's are great boats. Have had problems with Hunters but some people like them.
Great stuff! +1 for Nigel Calder.
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 21:44   #49

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

If you really want to take a chance I have a Bruce Roberts Steel Mauritius 44 (Replacement cost 500K) that needs a lot of work but is basically solid. A full queen aft cabin (real queen not boat queen). Engine is great. Up on the hard now. You would have to move to Bellingham, WA and live aboard. Would take you at least a year and all of your money to finish her. If you did that you could pay me 20G's whenever you got it. No hurry.
I have one other person interested but if he doesn't go for it I am serious.
I have put 2.5 years and 70G's into her but have run out of steam and want to see this incredible boat finished. I would help in a limited way.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 22:29   #50

Much of a boat - just for fun

I think by fixing up an older boat and replacing all the hoses, through hulls, rigging etc etc you get to learn about your boat and poke around in places you wouldn't normally. You become very intimate with every part of your boat. This experience is very valuable and could just save your life or your boat one day. Yes you could buy a more expensive boat with less to do but where is the fun in that. Tinkering is awesome. Good luck I hope it works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Captain Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 01:13   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I think by fixing up an older boat and replacing all the hoses, through hulls, rigging etc etc you get to learn about your boat and poke around in places you wouldn't normally. You become very intimate with every part of your boat. This experience is very valuable and could just save your life or your boat one day. Yes you could buy a more expensive boat with less to do but where is the fun in that. Tinkering is awesome. Good luck I hope it works out for you.

I agree - Had a 'new boat cruiser' who had to consult the manual in order to flush the second head he was using for the first time since taking delivery a year ago..... seacock was closed.
Getweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 04:30   #52
CLOD

Boat: none

I bought a ten year old boat in great condition for $115k and didn't have to waste years fixing it in order spend the same amount to sail it!

Old 30-05-2015, 05:49   #53

Boat: Scout 30

A Cabo Rico Tiburon sounds like it meets your criteria.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 07:20   #54

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
It's one thing if you don't know what you're talking about, but please don't make up misinformation when you paraphrase me. If you spend part of your life overhauling an old boat, instead of paying someone to do it for you, it still cost you. And if you stop at $32k, because that's all you could manage, you are just accepting to put up with a level of neglect.

You'll learn.
Life cost, no matter where you are, land or sea. If the quality of your life is based on the cost and worth of your material possession you will be missing out on a lot of the great wonders around you. Live your life from your hart and the only regrets you'll possibly have won't be the failures but the things you didn't try to do.

PEACE LUV & HAPPINESS
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 09:56   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I bought a ten year old boat in great condition for $115k and didn't have to waste years fixing it in order spend the same amount to sail it!

And that is the right thing to do if you have $115K to buy a boat.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 10:19   #56

At my age I enjoy working on boats more than I do sailing them. How sick is that?
Old 30-05-2015, 10:54   #57

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
At my age I enjoy working on boats more than I do sailing them. How sick is that?
I wish we were neighbors.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 11:20   #58

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
If you really want to take a chance I have a Bruce Roberts Steel Mauritius 44 (Replacement cost 500K) that needs a lot of work but is basically solid. A full queen aft cabin (real queen not boat queen). Engine is great. Up on the hard now. You would have to move to Bellingham, WA and live aboard. Would take you at least a year and all of your money to finish her. If you did that you could pay me 20G's whenever you got it. No hurry.
I have one other person interested but if he doesn't go for it I am serious.
I have put 2.5 years and 70G's into her but have run out of steam and want to see this incredible boat finished. I would help in a limited way.
Now 500k sounds very optimistic. I empathize with you. I ran out of steam or interest building a Roberts trawler 48. I wouldn't recommend it but proving the naysayers wrong was great satisfaction.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 11:27   #59

Not at all. That is what the surveyor said. Had a friend who had a similar BR (but 53') built in Vancouver. Cost him 1 million. That was 10 years ago.
Wood is good but steel is real.
Of course you could build one for less but not this quality. Ideal anchor winch alone was 6 G's.
I'm not saying it is worth anything near that now. Replacement cost meaning new build.
Old 30-05-2015, 11:52   #60

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Not at all. That is what the surveyor said. Had a friend who had a similar BR (but 53') built in Vancouver. Cost him 1 million. That was 10 years ago.
Wood is good but steel is real.
Of course you could build one for less but not this quality. Ideal anchor winch alone was 6 G's.
I'm not saying it is worth anything near that now. Replacement cost meaning new build.
I think Roberts turns out some good designs. One offs don't have the value since a potential buyer has no idea of the blood sweat and tears and insurance companies could care less. Building on your own is a nice fantasy.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fun