Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31-10-2014, 15:54   #1

Boat: Fuji 40 Cutter
Angry Los Angeles County Cruisers Beware!

WARNING!

If you depart a marina in Los Angeles County to do some extended cruising, be sure to establish a new situs. (permanent legal location for property for taxes purposes)

I left Marina del Rey in October, 2013, headed to San Diego, then on to Baja with the Ha-"Ha fleet in November. The boat has been in Mexico ever since. I just received a bill for $1177.06 from the county of Los Angeles for tax year 2014. Calling the tax assessor's office, I sadly learned that since I had not established a new permanent home for the boat as on January 1, 2014 that I owed them the full amount of the 2014 tax bill even though the boat had not been in LA County since 2013.

Establishing a new situs would have involved signing a long term contract in a out of county marina, or changing the address on my USCG documentation. My documentation did not expire until later in the year, so I waited.

If your boat is registered in LA County or if your USCG Documentation mailing address is in LA County and you plan to do some extended cruising: CHANGE YOUR MAILING ADDRESS FOR YOUR USCG DOCUMENTATION BEFORE YOU GO!

Otherwise you will pay the county of Los Angeles for the pleasure of not being there!

Tags
cruise, cruiser