Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2017, 09:34   #31

Re: Live aboard marina. What is it like?

As I said before, I’m not trying to get a boat right at this moment. I’m just trying to get as much information as possible so I know what I’m getting into before I have to make any decisions.

I’m fairly confident I will make it through the nuke training. The sciences have always interested me and if I have to do a 35-5 I will.

But yes right now is baby steps, the first being getting information.
NavyTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:02   #32

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyTurtle View Post
As I said before, I’m not trying to get a boat right at this moment. I’m just trying to get as much information as possible so I know what I’m getting into before I have to make any decisions.

I’m fairly confident I will make it through the nuke training. The sciences have always interested me and if I have to do a 35-5 I will.

But yes right now is baby steps, the first being getting information.
Nuke dropout here. Failed the final test at power school. If you join as part of a large group (summer months) you don't get a second chance as they are happy to drop the numbers before actual reactor school. I was scheduled to enter boot camp in December. I should have stuck with that.

No regrets though, the Navy was a fantastic experience for me overall.

Definitely won't be in the same place too long, until you get to a permanent duty station, which could be just about anywhere in the world.

I'd say finding information is good, but not much actual concrete planning can be done until you find out where you will be stationed AFTER schooling is complete.

I was in from 90-96.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:11   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Nuke dropout here. Failed the final test at power school. If you join as part of a large group (summer months) you don't get a second chance as they are happy to drop the numbers before actual reactor school. I was scheduled to enter boot camp in December. I should have stuck with that.

No regrets though, the Navy was a fantastic experience for me overall.

Definitely won't be in the same place too long, until you get to a permanent duty station, which could be just about anywhere in the world.

I'd say finding information is good, but not much actual concrete planning can be done until you find out where you will be stationed AFTER schooling is complete.

I was in from 90-96.
Oh man. I was "fortunate" enough to get a second try at the exam. A good friend of mine missed it, and passing overall, by 15 points. All of that is behind us now though FlyingScot. It's NavyTurtle's turn

Are there any other specific questions you had about the logistics of living aboard and being in the Navy NT? It's one of the few bits of knowledge I can actually share on this forum. I definitely didn't get all the sailing skills I should have in that time .
Luckyknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:26   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
It not just Nuke, it's many of the rates/MOS's these days because systems have gotten so complicated.

In computers/electronics, the navy has one guy to troubleshoot a problem on say an aircraft down to a chassis maybe a radio or BDHI, then another to repair that chassis/unit.

Some of us were in the military for 4-5 years and spent 2-3 years in schools.

As far as tax dollars, the navy now gives piss tests regularly and if you are caught with say marijuana in your system they kick you out. Many times this occurs after you return from the leave they give you after you complete all your training and before they (the navy) ever get anything out of their investment

Then the recruit is free to seek employment with a more open minded firm or maybe move to a state where marijuana is legal and get a job there.

Only thing is your discharge papers reflect that you were kicked out. Most employers want to see a clean honorable discharge
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:29   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Only thing is your discharge papers reflect that you were kicked out. Most employers want to see a clean honorable discharge
Anything other than 'Honorable Discharge' can be life altering and not in a good way.

'Other than honorable' isn't that great either.

Who wants to hire someone who can't follow the rules? Has no actual experience. Especially in a nuclear power field!

I wouldn't recommend the path discussed. Much better to just do your time and then get the better job at the nuke power plant afterwards.
Old 02-11-2017, 14:00   #36

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

How did this get to discharge papers? I think a DD214. I wish him luck at school if the promise of that comes to true.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 16:10   #37

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Yes but when you explain to them that you were an excellent student and made one mistake as a 20 year old when on leave after your schools, if they have any brains at all and maybe being a bit more open minded than military minded folks they hire the guy.

I am a slow learner though having only been associated with the military for 43 years
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 16:14   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
How did this get to discharge papers? I think a DD214. I wish him luck at school if the promise of that comes to true.
It comes true if he passes.

Simple as that.

It's like when you are stuck on a sailboat at a bad anchorage. You just have to deal with it until a situation presents itself where/when you can relocate
Old 02-11-2017, 16:17   #39

Quote:
Anything other than 'Honorable Discharge' can be life altering and not in a good way.

Who wants to hire someone who can't follow the rules? Has no actual experience. Especially in a nuclear power field!

I wouldn't recommend the path discussed. Much better to just do your time and then get the better job at the nuke power plant afterwards.
Rules?

How about putting 17-25 year old boys and girls on ships and saying......oh btw don't have sex.

This is easy to follow if you are overweight, bald and ugly but what if several members of the opposite sex give you a certain signal.....
Old 02-11-2017, 16:17   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyknot View Post
Are there any other specific questions you had about the logistics of living aboard and being in the Navy NT? It's one of the few bits of knowledge I can actually share on this forum. I definitely didn't get all the sailing skills I should have in that time .
Only thing I am really confused on is how does housing work while you are in the pipeline and right after when you get to you first duty station. I haven’t been able to find much on that. Also owning a car or motorcycle in the pipleline? When are you allowed that?
NavyTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 16:19   #41

Quote:
Only thing I am really confused on is how does housing work while you are in the pipeline and right after when you get to you first duty station. I haven’t been able to find much on that. Also owning a car or motorcycle in the pipleline? When are you allowed that?
I had my car with me thru training but most didn't because they didn't have a clue on how to finance a vehicle back in the 70's.

They were your basic American redneck as was I,but I had already owned 4 vehicles and 6 boats as a 19 year old

Since you are navy your "housing' may be a berth as small as the settee I have on my Bristol 27

Your main worry at this point should be getting through boot camp and passing your schools. Think sailboat later
Old 02-11-2017, 16:43   #42

Quote:

I have actually seen some of the young folks with administrative etc discharges perform much better than some of the retired military types that made rank as high as E7-E9. Same with retired officers.

Maybe the young folks that made mistakes early on are more ready to really excel in their new line of work and show what they can really do under the right circumstances.

When you have states where certain drugs are legal but in the military you can be discharged or jailed doing the same drug it can be confusing for a teen or someone in their early 20's
Old 02-11-2017, 16:55   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I have actually seen some of the young folks with administrative etc discharges perform much better than some of the retired military types that made rank as high as E7-E9. Same with retired officers.

Maybe the young folks that made mistakes early on are more ready to really excel in their new line of work and show what they can really do under the right circumstances.

When you have states where certain drugs are legal but in the military you can be discharged or jailed doing the same drug it can be confusing for a teen or someone in their early 20's
I don't dispute that. I wasn't saying stay in for 20-30 years. I'm talking about doing the required 6-8 years and getting out with 'honorable' rather than anything else. I suspect these will be the most successful post Navy.

Stay in too long and you get set in your ways, lose motivation, companies don't think you will be as dedicated since you already have retirement money, you may not learn as fast as when you were younger, you are now used to being the boss and this may not be true once you become a regular civilian. Probably some other reasons I'm missing.
Old 02-11-2017, 17:00   #44

Quote:
You won't need or be able to use anything in boot camp. You'll go to A school next and transportation may be helpful, but insurance will be crazy expensive under most circumstances and you'll be the transport for everyone who doesn't. Power school and Reactor schools cars are probably pretty common but I recommend you just uber or go with friends and save all your money.

Living quarters will be open barracks in boot camp (think Full Metal Jacket).
Assuming not married, you'll live in dorm type rooms for the remainder of schooling. Once attached to permanent duty station (think submarine or ship) you'll live on the boat/sub. If Trident Submarine with two crews, you'll have dorm type living (generally 2 per room) when the other crew has the boat.

If you are married, don't recommend if you want to pursue the sailing dream, you may qualify for money to get an apartment or remote possibility to qualify for base housing.
Old 02-11-2017, 17:12   #45

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Images of a service members, "Character of Service," can be confusing to those in service. Now try it as a civilian, it's equal to looking at the inventory sheet, on the closed door, of a room full of supplies you know nothing about. After ten years, gainful civilian employment is hard to get.
Keep the dream, join a sailing club when you have the opportunity. Volunteers can find weekend spots during regattas. Save and invest wisely. Three marriages, homes, etc.... not wise investments. Did keep the children housed and fed. Still, "You were never there."
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote