Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2017, 17:28   #46

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Live aboard marina. What is it like?

Ours is 90 freedom tokens a month when pre-paid. Water and electricity included. Wifi onboard, from a local bar.

It all depends on where it is, who owns it, etc. You may find docks where you can stay year round free of dockage charge.

Alternatively you can anchor off and commute with a dinghy. Some anchorages are still free. Some dinghy tie docks are still free. Some beaches are still public and one can land there.

Posh marinas in popular spots can be hundreds a month, even for a small boat.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 17:44   #47

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyknot View Post
Here's a basic rundown of how it works:

You take the ASVAB and if you do well on that then you are eligible to take a test to qualify you for nuclear training (this can be waived if you do well enough on the ASVAB and the political conditions are right). If you pass that and sign the contract to be a nuke then you've gotten past the easy part. At this point you are enlisted and head to basic as a nuke recruit. After basic you attend the 'A' school for your chosen nuclear rate that you must pass, followed by nuclear specific school which also must be passed including a final exam that, you guessed it, must be passed. From there you go to another school disguised as on the job training which is the final phase that must be passed. After all of that, yes, you definitely get to be a nuke. The training is far too expensive for the Navy to up and decide they have enough people at that point. It may be different for other rates but nukes spend close to two years proving their worth before they can officially claim the title. The contract is everything. If you sign for a specific job then that is your job as long as you pass all phases of training per the contract.

I hope that clarifies. It's not easy but enlisting as a nuke guarantees you the right to try and become one.
You did with the must be passed. Wash out probably takes care of it. A kid willing to put his nose to the grind stone probably has it made for the rest of his life. In and out of the service.
Cadence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:34   #48

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyTurtle View Post
Only thing I am really confused on is how does housing work while you are in the pipeline and right after when you get to you first duty station. I havenít been able to find much on that. Also owning a car or motorcycle in the pipleline? When are you allowed that?

You will be told... when you need the answer.

If it's still like my service, you'll probably be able to have your own transport once you get to tech school.

And you'll be assigned quarters there; if you're single that'll probably be a barrack of some sort. Probably not open bay, anymore; I'd guess more likely rooms with en suite head/shower, likely shared with another student (who may or may not be in the same course you're in). Think hotel room, for two.

Stay in touch with the group here; if we get to Charleston this year, maybe we'll get a chance to invite you on board for some R&R...

-Chris
Old 03-11-2017, 09:45   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyTurtle View Post
Only thing I am really confused on is how does housing work while you are in the pipeline and right after when you get to you first duty station. I havenít been able to find much on that. Also owning a car or motorcycle in the pipleline? When are you allowed that?
For A school and power school you will be in barracks in Charleston on the same site as the school. When you move on to prototype they will give you a housing allowance (BAH) to get accomodations off site. They don't have barracks for prototype. DON'T GET THE BOAT YET! Once you get to a ship the rules may vary as far as who gets housing allowance and when. For my ship and captain, we didn't get BAH until PO2. This means that you will have your BAH revoked when you get to your permanent duty station. My understanding was that some situations and ships won't approve BAH until PO1. I was still a PO3 when I made the boat plan work. Its why I could only afford a $12K boat. This all means that you will be living on the ship if it is a carrier and the same I think for fast attack subs. SSBNs(?) have a totally different rotation and the boat is shared amongst two crews so when the other crew has it, you are provided barracks on base usually with 1 to 4 roomates.

If I remember correctly, you aren't allowed to have a car for the first 3 months of school. It has something to do with reacclamating to the world after boot camp as well as proving yourself to be responsible. They do this by giving you stickers on your badge. A green dot after so long of good behavior and then a blue dot which gives you all of your basic freedoms back. I don't remember which dot gets you the right to have a car. The base has plenty of parking, you'll just have to get a parking permit.

Now this is all going back almost 15 years when I got to A school so things may be different but you'll find that the naval nuclear program is very slow to change and for very good reasons that you will learn at some point. To my knowledge, it was still this way when I got out in 2009.
Luckyknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:20   #50

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Just as an aside, which I'm sure the Navy will give you, don't wander around in North Charleston were you will be stationed. City with the highest crime rate and shootings in the state. FYI
Cadence is online now   Reply With Quote