Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2017, 12:12   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Live aboard marina. What is it like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickG View Post
We have a couple of Navy officers in our marina. I see them heading to work when I leave at 0500. Location is key and we are in the closest liveaboard marina 30-35 miles from typical Washington, DC.

Our liveaboard marina is Herrington Harbor North in Tracy's Landing, MD and it is quite nice. But, there is an active boatyard and it gets dusty when its not raining. Water and self-service pumpout get turned off in November and back on end of April. We are only six slips out, but it seems like a longer walk to the marina head and parking lot when it's raining sideways. It's not perfect, but it's 25% the cost of our last house and 50% the cost of our last apartment. We are headed south the middle of November.

It probably makes sense for you to wait and see, but nurture the dream.

Cheers, RickG
He said naval officers and Washington DC. Not recruit and God knows where.

Don't want to bust you bubble so take it for what it's worth.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 12:37   #17

Boat: 1998 Bayliner Avanti 3685 - 38' long

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Ditto what Ranger42c said. Believe it or not, there are naval duty stations that are a long way from any sort of marina that you could use. You say you want to take baby steps, but buying a boat right now -- before you even know where you'll be stationed -- is a HUGE step!
Yep, son got stationed in Guam . . . . not kidding either . . .
Dadrock33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 13:12   #18

I did it for 3.5 years out of Norfolk from 2004-2008. I purchased an Irwin Citation 30 for $12,000 and stayed in Salt Ponds Marina Resort. Every Navy situation is different so as said before, get to where you are going first and then look into the best accomodations. All totalled, it cost about $500/mo. About $200 each for the boat payments and slip plus electric plus insurance (water was free and no added charge for liveaboards). It worked so well for me that I inspired another shipmate to do the same on a Catalina 30. When our ship got moved over seas permanently, I was able to sell it to another sea warrior just moving into the area.

That may sound great and all but valid points by other posters about what to do when deployed. I went out for 2 months at one time and thought I'd save a few bucks by turning off my shore power. Huge mistake. I got home to about 6" of water inside the cabin. Bilge pump pumped its heart out as long as it could during heavy rains on a single battery. Once that battery went dead though... Luckily I left behind a half handle of rum which helped greatly with the ensuing 3 day cleanup. I learned a lot of hard lessons in those years and loved every second. Good luck! I hope it works out for you.
Luckyknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 14:48   #19

Boat: Bavaria 51

Hang on til the navy gives you a boat, one of them big ones with planes and things and lots of little boats for company. Then you can sail wherever you want, park wherever you want. Only person who can stop you is someone else with a big boat like yours.
Rivatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 17:06   #20

You make your money when you buy the boat, not when you sell it! IAW buying it right is the most I'm portent.
Chris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 19:20   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Where is your A school and what is your rate going to be?
I will be in Charleston, SC for nuke school.
NavyTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 06:26   #22

Haha! They got you good! Hold onto the dream man. The next 1.5-2 years is gonna be tough to say the least. About half way through Power School I thought I was going to fail out while on 35-5s (If you don't know what that means, you will) so I started going heavy on the PT to try out for the SEALs because I thought it would be easier. I was of course desperate and naive. There's no way that was true but that is how challenging the program is for the lower 50% of the top 10% of the Navy. I hope you're smarter than me.

On the plus side, you're starting out on a similar path to mine so there may very well be a sailboat in your future. Just wait on it though. I was about 6 months into my permanent duty station before I made my move. Living on the ship was absolutely intolerable in port.

No matter what, don't quit. The nuclear program and Navy life will beat you up pretty bad but it opens so many doors.
Old 31-10-2017, 09:40   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Hell who takes care of the boat when you are deployed? I was deployed 300 days/year when on the boat and the other 65 days probably all but 20 were still on the boat doing something (duty/maintenance). BAQ would never pay for a boat and dockage!
what i learned from knowing SEAL friends in fiddlers cove , the navy marina in sd, was that the marina cares for your boat while you are deployed.
active duty navy have priority over others.
rent is lower than marinas for citizens and citizens are not allowed to put boats there. unless they were servicemen prior in some life.
there are many for sale in these marinas.
as you are considering buying, go to navy marinas where you are stationed. learn this system then proceed
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 10:12   #24

I hope he isn't relying on the recruiter's word for his schooling. They will promise the moon. Just sign here son.
Old 31-10-2017, 10:23   #25

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I hope he isn't relying on the recruiter's word for his schooling. They will promise the moon. Just sign here son.
That was probably back in your day.

These days (and even in the 70's), if you can pass the school you signed up for and were contracted for, you will get that rate or MOS

My contract included a $2500 Bonus which back in my day was a lot if I passed and I did. I used the money to.............pay off my old Chincoteague Scow/ 65 Mercury Outboard
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 12:03   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
That was probably back in your day.

These days (and even in the 70's), if you can pass the school you signed up for and were contracted for, you will get that rate or MOS

My contract included a $2500 Bonus which back in my day was a lot if I passed and I did. I used the money to.............pay off my old Chincoteague Scow/ 65 Mercury Outboard
Let me get this straight. If 1000 guys pass a test and the service only needs 500 the prospective recruit is guaranteed the expensive training and the MOS and a particular training duty station. God bless my tax dollar. Maybe wash out takes care of it? I have a feeling the OP may have missed the passing the test part said {or not} by the recruiter? I doubt the test is given pre enlistment for nuke school. JMHO
Old 31-10-2017, 12:40   #27

Quote:
Let me get this straight. If 1000 guys pass a test and the service only needs 500 the prospective recruit is guaranteed the expensive training and the MOS and a particular training duty station. God bless my tax dollar. Maybe wash out takes care of it? I have a feeling the OP may have missed the passing the test part said {or not} by the recruiter? I doubt the test is given pre enlistment for nuke school. JMHO
Here's a basic rundown of how it works:

You take the ASVAB and if you do well on that then you are eligible to take a test to qualify you for nuclear training (this can be waived if you do well enough on the ASVAB and the political conditions are right). If you pass that and sign the contract to be a nuke then you've gotten past the easy part. At this point you are enlisted and head to basic as a nuke recruit. After basic you attend the 'A' school for your chosen nuclear rate that you must pass, followed by nuclear specific school which also must be passed including a final exam that, you guessed it, must be passed. From there you go to another school disguised as on the job training which is the final phase that must be passed. After all of that, yes, you definitely get to be a nuke. The training is far too expensive for the Navy to up and decide they have enough people at that point. It may be different for other rates but nukes spend close to two years proving their worth before they can officially claim the title. The contract is everything. If you sign for a specific job then that is your job as long as you pass all phases of training per the contract.

I hope that clarifies. It's not easy but enlisting as a nuke guarantees you the right to try and become one.
Old 31-10-2017, 13:50   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyknot View Post

You take the ASVAB and if you do well on that then you are eligible to take a test to qualify you for nuclear training (this can be waived if you do well enough on the ASVAB and the political conditions are right). If you pass that and sign the contract to be a nuke then you've gotten past the easy part. At this point you are enlisted and head to basic as a nuke recruit. After basic you attend the 'A' school for your chosen nuclear rate that you must pass, followed by nuclear specific school which also must be passed including a final exam that, you guessed it, must be passed. From there you go to another school disguised as on the job training which is the final phase that must be passed. After all of that, yes, you definitely get to be a nuke. The training is far too expensive for the Navy to up and decide they have enough people at that point. It may be different for other rates but nukes spend close to two years proving their worth before they can officially claim the title. The contract is everything. If you sign for a specific job then that is your job as long as you pass all phases of training per the contract.

I hope that clarifies. It's not easy but enlisting as a nuke guarantees you the right to try and become one.
My point was the OP sounded like he had not even reported boot camp. Assuming he will be in Charleston for nuke school is somewhat premature. Buying a boat at this point sounds ludicrous. We were all young once and had grandiose dreams I would hate to think his are ill conceived.
Old 31-10-2017, 14:30   #29

Quote:
My point was the OP sounded like he had not even reported boot camp. Assuming he will be in Charleston for nuke school is somewhat premature. Buying a boat at this point sounds ludicrous. We were all young once and had grandiose dreams I would hate to think his are ill conceived.
Yes. Definitely. Gotta get through boot camp first. Then everything else I described. After that the Navy will decide where his permanent duty station will be. Only after settling in to ship life should the OP start thinking about private housing. He may end up in Japan where I left my ship. The whole dream may change by that point. So many variables and hurdles. As he said in the beginning, "baby steps." I'm just here as proof that it is very possible, very enjoyable, and can save some money over getting an apartment or house on your own.

Thinking back, I feel the best part about it was the community. There were lots of liveaboards and a handful of true cruisers at the marina. It's why I follow this forum and dream everyday of getting back into that life. Baby steps
Old 01-11-2017, 04:14   #30

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyknot View Post

It not just Nuke, it's many of the rates/MOS's these days because systems have gotten so complicated.

In computers/electronics, the navy has one guy to troubleshoot a problem on say an aircraft down to a chassis maybe a radio or BDHI, then another to repair that chassis/unit.

Some of us were in the military for 4-5 years and spent 2-3 years in schools.

As far as tax dollars, the navy now gives piss tests regularly and if you are caught with say marijuana in your system they kick you out. Many times this occurs after you return from the leave they give you after you complete all your training and before they (the navy) ever get anything out of their investment

Then the recruit is free to seek employment with a more open minded firm or maybe move to a state where marijuana is legal and get a job there.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote