Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2011, 17:35   #1
Registered User
 
Tori's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sanford, FL
Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
Posts: 310
Images: 56
Life Aboard

After four months living aboard these are the things we have discovered thus far:

Bathroom amenities-you try not to poop in your head if possible and you only take showers as needed not as frequently as in a house (you find yourself in big roomy bathrooms going wow what a waste of space)

Laundry-pain in the rear so you wear everything twice

Weather-you are much more aware of the weather be it hot or cold raining or dry

Dishes-we try not to use them because they are harder to wash on the boat

Foods-we tend to choose items in cans, eaten from the box,fresh fruits and veggies, or easily cooked on the grill- no more frozen goods or milk and cereal

Shopping-we limit ourselves to what is easily carried down the dock

Storage-now instead of buying "stuff" we just look at it because there is no place to put non essentials on the boat

Houses-you realize in retrospect how much space is wasted and how much they cost to upkeep

Beer-harder to keep it cold

Being sick-really sucks on a moving boat especially if you are nauseous

But...no lawn to mow...lot less expensive overall...we have become much more frugal...people are more friendly

Dunno what else...what are others observations?
__________________

__________________
Joe & Tori
"Knot Looking Back" 1977 S2 8.0
Clara , Ducky, Miranda and Nalla the Critters
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 17:59   #2
Registered User
 
tager's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vashon, WA
Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Posts: 837
Re: Life aboard

You wouldn't be sick if you ate better food, washed yourself more, and washed your clothes more.
__________________

__________________
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 18:08   #3
Registered User
 
Tori's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sanford, FL
Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
Posts: 310
Images: 56
Lmao actually it was probably the warm beer
__________________
Joe & Tori
"Knot Looking Back" 1977 S2 8.0
Clara , Ducky, Miranda and Nalla the Critters
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 18:36   #4
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Life aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori View Post
After four months living aboard these are the things we have discovered thus far:

Bathroom amenities-you try not to poop in your head if possible and you only take showers as needed not as frequently as in a house (you find yourself in big roomy bathrooms going wow what a waste of space)

Laundry-pain in the rear so you wear everything twice

Weather-you are much more aware of the weather be it hot or cold raining or dry

Dishes-we try not to use them because they are harder to wash on the boat

Foods-we tend to choose items in cans, eaten from the box,fresh fruits and veggies, or easily cooked on the grill- no more frozen goods or milk and cereal

Shopping-we limit ourselves to what is easily carried down the dock

Storage-now instead of buying "stuff" we just look at it because there is no place to put non essentials on the boat

Houses-you realize in retrospect how much space is wasted and how much they cost to upkeep

Beer-harder to keep it cold

Being sick-really sucks on a moving boat especially if you are nauseous

But...no lawn to mow...lot less expensive overall...we have become much more frugal...people are more friendly

Dunno what else...what are others observations?
I have milk on the boat. I shower every day, but I live in Florida and it's still really warm down here.

I like the freedom from "stuff." My cats are much happier onboard than they were on land. Didn't expect that one!
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 18:46   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Columbia, SC
Boat: 1991 Privilege 39"
Posts: 15
Re: Life aboard

My cats are still adjusting, but I love living abroad. I learned to get the galley fully functional. Changed out the single sink to a double sink and added more shelving.
Get rid of more stuff.
It has only been 2 months for me, I am still learning. Life is good!
__________________
PattyHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 18:58   #6
Registered User
 
wunderluster's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida
Boat: CSY 33
Posts: 167
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster
Re: Life aboard

This is an encouraging post for me. I will be delivering my boat on Monday and plan to move aboard next month. I have lots of stuff to sell before then. I'm a little anxious, yet excited to finally be getting there.

I will be at a dock initially but, I'm going to attempt to not hook up the electricity. It is a seperate bill that I will try to avoid. I'll most likely be shopping for solar panels soon. No air, but I do have refrig.

I'm glad you have all adjusted so well.
__________________
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 19:13   #7
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Life aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyHamilton View Post
My cats are still adjusting, but I love living abroad. I learned to get the galley fully functional. Changed out the single sink to a double sink and added more shelving.
Get rid of more stuff.
It has only been 2 months for me, I am still learning. Life is good!
I have a rule for my galley: nothing goes in it unless it can do three jobs. They don't all have to be galley jobs.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 19:16   #8
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Life aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderluster View Post
This is an encouraging post for me. I will be delivering my boat on Monday and plan to move aboard next month. I have lots of stuff to sell before then. I'm a little anxious, yet excited to finally be getting there.

I will be at a dock initially but, I'm going to attempt to not hook up the electricity. It is a seperate bill that I will try to avoid. I'll most likely be shopping for solar panels soon. No air, but I do have refrig.

I'm glad you have all adjusted so well.

I have a friend who lives on his boat "on the hook," and he gets by on two big (maybe 2 1/2 X 4?) solar panels. He has a small refrigerator.

EXCEPT: the connections don't hold up well to the marine environment, and it seems as if one of them is almost always down. So if you don't have that knowledge, bone up on the ins and outs of solar panels. Don't just assume they will work well. Often some contact needs to be cleaned, but sometimes it has to be rewired.

Also, he lives in Florida -- lots of sunshine -- but he still has to come into the club on cloudy days to charge up his batteries.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 19:45   #9
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,206
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Life aboard

If you want steady power then you need wind and sun... especially if running a fridge...
Had an Aerogen and a big 130W panel on my Bene'... it ran a coolbox/fridge, wheel pilot, fans and other 12v nav and domestics.. also ran (occasionally) a 1500inverter....
My Westerly only had a Aerogen... but no fridge and a frugal tiller pilot...
never 'had' to run the engine...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 19:55   #10
Registered User
 
VirtualVagabond's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Posts: 2,084
Re: Life aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I have a rule for my galley: nothing goes in it unless it can do three jobs. They don't all have to be galley jobs.
I struggle to hold down one job!

Does that mean I don't get to go in the galley?
__________________
One must live the way one thinks, or end up thinking the way one lives - Paul Bourget

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 21:12   #11
Registered User
 
Unicorn Dreams's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Clear Lake Marine Services - Seabrook, Texas
Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Posts: 2,359
Re: Life aboard

We have one piece of galley equipment that has a single function, the counter top ice maker. Guess you could get beer cold in the ice hopper.
__________________
Formerly Santana
The winds blow true,The skies stay blue,
Everyday is a good day for SAILING!!!!
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 22:54   #12
Registered User
 
Tori's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sanford, FL
Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
Posts: 310
Images: 56
An icemaker is on the list ! As is a wind generator and solar panels but alas money doesn't grow on trees
__________________
Joe & Tori
"Knot Looking Back" 1977 S2 8.0
Clara , Ducky, Miranda and Nalla the Critters
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 23:12   #13
Registered User
 
Jamel's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Beautiful South West Western Australia
Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia
Posts: 223
Re: Life aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
We have one piece of galley equipment that has a single function, the counter top ice maker. Guess you could get beer cold in the ice hopper.
More info on the icemaker please, !2v or mains?
__________________
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 00:24   #14
Registered User
 
Rhapsody-NS27's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: VA, boat: Deale, MD
Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Posts: 1,409
Re: Life aboard

I've usually seen small ice makers like this one.

I saw at least a few of them in Afghanistan. 120v though. doesn't look like something to stay plugged in unless you're on shore power.
__________________
Daniel - Rhapsody Blog,
“A sailor’s joys are as simple as a child’s.” — Bernard Moitessier
"I don't need therapy, I just need my boat"
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 01:42   #15
Registered User
 
Eleven's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Southampton UK
Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Posts: 1,220
Images: 3
Re: Life aboard

In the last century, when I was a wee lad, milk bottles (glass) lived under a foam sponge sleeve in a bowl of water. The evaporation was SUPPOSED to keep the milk a little cooler.
For tea/coffee/emergencies there are some credible powders, but beer seems to be the favourite.
I strongly recommend turning the heads into a wet room with it's own bilge pump driven shower in it's own bilge. Recirc'ing the soapy shower water reduces wastage considerably. A couple of valves and hoses and a fresh water rinse is available, and discharge to where-ever you are allowed to discharge to.
Adding separate Drinking and Washing water tanks allows rain water collection to ease the heavy job of carrying your water on board. A gallon a day is all you need in the way of drinking/cooking water. The rest goes down the drain.
LED lighting is available for 12v batteries at £3 each. There is a small wind genny for £200 that should keep your radio's and lighting going most of the time. Get the basics working first, add solar as finance allows, the flexing ones are best, with a wide sun catching angle, working a little from dawn 'till dusk, not just in bright sunshine.
I'm sure you've already worked out that draft proofing is more important than heating for chilly overnights. Just get the kettle on first thing, and don't forget to pop a vent hatch.
__________________

__________________
Ex Prout 31 Sailor, Now it's a 22ft Jaguar called 'Arfur' here in sunny Southampton, UK.
A few places left in Quayside Marina and Kemps Marina.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Do You Live Aboard ? A Game We Can All Learn from . . . Tori Liveaboard's Forum 83 14-01-2012 20:06
The Loss of 'Kampeska' TigerLilly Seamanship & Boat Handling 0 14-09-2011 06:32
For Sale: Plastimo 8-Man Life Raft - $500 Ronald Rogala Classifieds Archive 0 18-07-2011 18:47



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:39.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.