Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2009, 09:30   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
In California being busted with such a small amount of pot is a misdemeanor.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 18-07-2009, 09:39   #32
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
It was a pretty big helicopter circling for more than an hour I know of. A dozen officers from 3 different jurisdictions. A large seaworthy speedboat with multiple hundreds of HP corraling him in his slip. Just how much can all that cost?

All to be thrown out in the morning when he appears in court. This does not include another boat jailed, and held without his medications until he was getting sick, and then let go immediatley. IT WAS A FRIKKING JOKE on how our money was spent. They need to bring a claim against the tipster, and we do know who it is. A business owner 200 ft. away who has a grudge over something very small, and insignificant....INSANITY.......i2f
Old 25-07-2009, 10:14   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
In California being busted with such a small amount of pot is a misdemeanor.
but we are ruled by US cg---federales take away boats for that amount of drugs--yes, mj is still considered a drug, and last i heard, we are still in zero tolerance with them---or , i should say, are BACK in that mode.....you are truly fortunate to not have lost your boat---rights?? we aint got any---patriot act..remember?? affects us on boats more than those in houses....goood luck and fair winds....btw--keep up on your political changes--be safe and secure in your insecurity.~~~~~_/)~~~~~~~~.
Old 25-07-2009, 12:35   #34
cruiser

In Canada it is illegal for them to board without a search warrant, period. Doing so could result in liens on the guilty officer's bank account , wages, personal property, etc. Refuse to invite them aboard and you have no such problems in Canada. Uncle Sam is pressuring the Canadian government to start doing things their way. That would take a constitutional amendment with the agreement of 5 provinces with over 55% of the population. That is why increasing numbers of Canadians and Europeans are solving the problem by simply staying out of the US.
Brent
Old 26-07-2009, 10:35   #35

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
A police officer needs a warrant to enter your home, .............unless he suspects or has reason to believe someone may be in danger.

So he kicks the door in and later in court, simply says, he thought he heard someone in distress inside the property and entered accordingly.

Rights?, what rights?

In the UK this summer we have seen an escalation of police activities that breach the law, the human rights and our traditions. I say traditions because we dont have a constitution.

The G20 London riots saw the death of a man walking home from work, pushed to the ground by a cop. the Police closed ranks to protect the cop who was breaking the law by not wearing hid ID epelets. Many protesters were arrested for taking pics of the cops, and in other incidents, tourists have been arrested for taking pics of famous London buildings.

We have more cctv cams in the uk per capita than any other country, yet they dont prevent crime and if your a victim, the police cant be bothered to check the video to make a case.

All our rights in the western world are being eroded
Old 26-07-2009, 10:48   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
In Canada it is illegal for them to board without a search warrant, period. Doing so could result in liens on the guilty officer's bank account , wages, personal property, etc. Refuse to invite them aboard and you have no such problems in Canada. Uncle Sam is pressuring the Canadian government to start doing things their way. That would take a constitutional amendment with the agreement of 5 provinces with over 55% of the population. That is why increasing numbers of Canadians and Europeans are solving the problem by simply staying out of the US.
Brent
and they wonder why we wanna expatriate lol.....
Old 26-07-2009, 11:01   #37

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
When it comes to countering or fighting terrorism, it seems any military or police force can do what they want. Its the ultimate excuse for their ever more outrageous tactics.

As for Brits going to the US, things changed for the worse after the shoe bomber was convicted. Richard Read was a muslim asian extremist who lived in the UK. Thanks to him, every Brit is now singled out for scrutiny.
Old 26-07-2009, 12:09   #38
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I went through the same thing. I hired a lawyer who explained it to me this way, a citizen of the united states is constitutionally protected to the right to have personal protection in his day to day activities against unwarranted searches of his person and personal belongings. He said he represents people all the time who have been searched illegally and the cases never make it to trial. He said the policing agencies often come in like cowboys, violate laws and write wholly fictitious reports about what really transpired. Most people lie down and take it often pleading guilty or no contest then get stuck in the machinery of the system. As soon as he started filing motions as to the legality of the search the case was dismissed. They aren't looking for a fight and don't care about right and wrong. They want money and people tied up in the revenue flow of probation payments, state run drug counselling programs, fines and the federal funds they get for having a large inmate population. Its insane its gone this far. If everyone pleaded not guilty and took all the piss ant charges to court it would shut the system down. As it is it took them almost a year to get my first hearing where they offered me 18 months of drug counselling, and probation and they would drop the charges. Yeah right.
Old 26-07-2009, 18:23   #39

yay homeland insecurity...LOOL.....
Old 27-07-2009, 05:19   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
but we are ruled by US cg---federales take away boats for that amount of drugs--yes, mj is still considered a drug, and last i heard, we are still in zero tolerance with them---or , i should say, are BACK in that mode.....you are truly fortunate to not have lost your boat---rights?? we aint got any---patriot act..remember?? affects us on boats more than those in houses....goood luck and fair winds....btw--keep up on your political changes--be safe and secure in your insecurity.~~~~~_/)~~~~~~~~.
Zero tolerance seizures ended about 20 years ago. It, thankfully, only lasted about a year.

If you're not smuggling, it's very unlikely your vessel would be seized for the possession of a small amount of dope.

In state waters, the CG will often call in the locals when they find a boater with personal use quantities of drugs. In that case, you are subject to the laws of that state; that may well subject you to arrest. In federal territorial and customs waters (and on the high seas for U.S. vessels), most boarding officers will just dump your baggie overboard. It's too much hassle to process that kind of case in the federal system and most Assistant U.S. Attornys have better things to do.
Old 27-07-2009, 05:52   #41
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
When it comes to countering or fighting terrorism, it seems any military or police force can do what they want. Its the ultimate excuse for their ever more outrageous tactics.
As the Duke of Wellington said (about his own forces ):

"I don't know if they frighten the enemy, but they scare the hell out of me."
Old 27-07-2009, 07:29   #42

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
It all scares me to death, Reminds me of Hitler and germany. I could have this in the wrong order but from what i remember first there was the SA the they made the group SS and we all know what they did.

I just dont understand why we need to have HLS when we already have Coast Gaurd, FBI, CIA Boarder cops.

They should just give more funds to the right people to protect us.

And when i think about the state of Ca. Taxing pot so they can make money off it, but just a few years ago they looked people up for it
Old 27-07-2009, 07:53   #43

welcome to fascism--look up the technical definition--we have been evolving for years, if not decades....~~~~~_/)~~~~~~~as goes california, so goes the nation--has been a saying for decades also.....remember?? this nation, as a whole , has a very very short memory and cannot figger out the problem much less the answer to that problem....tooo many laws and tooo strong a government run by corporation.....have fun....we are done......go sailing......
Old 27-07-2009, 08:00   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnar View Post
... And when i think about the state of Ca. Taxing pot so they can make money off it, but just a few years ago they looked people up for it
Analysis of CA. Bill 390
http://www.boe.ca.gov/legdiv/pdf/ab0390-1dw.pdf

Old 27-07-2009, 08:05   #45

Johnar, thanks for posting, it's good to know what the police are and aren't getting away with. A lot of people might have been embarrassed out of telling the story.
Closed Thread