Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2017, 09:29   #1

German Shepherd on board

I am sure this has been brought up before but my searches on the forum have NO succes.

I know this is done but what is your experience living on board and/or multi day/week passages with a dog on board?

Thanks for the feedback

Teun
TDB1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:44   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: German Shepherd on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDB1227 View Post
I am sure this has been brought up before but my searches on the forum have NO succes.

I know this is done but what is your experience living on board and/or multi day/week passages with a dog on board?

Thanks for the feedback

Teun
Howdy Teun! Welcome Aboard CF!

The topic of "Dog Aboard" or "Dog on Boat" has been discussed many times, as dogs are popular companions on boats ("Salty Dog"), as are "Boat Cats."

Here is a link to many previous discussions. I encourage you to look beyond the titles, as often there are many good, helpful comments embedded in the threads.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...oat&gsc.page=1

Hope that helps you and others.

Good luck and Bon Voyage!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 19:41   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Teun,

Welcome aboard CF, and here's another link for you. http://www.cruisersforum.com/.../boa...og-179152.html

And now, some advice. If you click on the search menu, and you are interested in a general topic like large dogs on small boats, view the whole menu, and use the CF Custom Google Search feature. The regular CF Search requires an exact match, and doesn't work well for general things.

I just happened to remember VetTails: she is a member here, who is a veterinarian, and has a blog, too.

Ann
Old 12-09-2017, 01:40   #4

I'm just passing on information here as I never sailed with a dog on board. I asked one of my Chinese friends here in Taiwan and he said it sounded like a good idea; should be able to feed a big crew for about a week.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:35   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Probably the biggest issues are the dog handling the companionway, or not. Which if the latter is the case, that's a fair amount of mutt to lift, especially on a bouncing boat.
The other issue is figuring out what will work so that the dog can relieve itself. As this can be a serious problem with some dogs. Also, about that, when you're anchored out, it means several trips ashore each day for this.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:06   #6

We put a 110+ pound dog on due to the hurricane. It is a space & safety issue. I'd never do it again except it was the same situation and necessary to save the dog from being left along in a storm surge vulnerable apartment.

Boarding and companionway are major safety issues and frequent due to walking issues.

We finally started the lift amidships, waking the "horse" to the bow for a turnaround and waking back to cockpit.

You really need to think this through. I'll add more info on this later. I need to go recover some lines.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 15:46   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A lot also depends on how well the dog tolerates boat motion (a German Shepherd size dog with trimmed toenails will have a hard time with jerky motion, and if his or her nails are not very short, they will scar heck out of the cabin sole.) There is also the hair issue, and of course, the excretory issues. And of course, the dog overboard issues.

Lots of potential problems to solve.

Ann
Old 18-09-2017, 11:01   #8

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

I plan on sailing away in 2~3 years and would love to take our little pit bull with us, so I've done a lot of reading on the subject. I've come to the conclusion that it just wouldn't be fair to her. She loves to go for a ride on our Hobie 33 and runs around the heeled over deck like she was made for it. And we could train her to use an astroturf mat.

The part that's really unfair to her is the lack of space to run, and the quarantine requirements of most countries. She's a high energy dog and loves to run. No room for exercise for possibly days on end. Maybe weeks. Then when we get to a new country, it's very likely she'll be in quarantine for 10-14 days. I can't imagine having her cooped up in the boat for 2 weeks, then immediately putting her in a cage for another 2 weeks. It just seems cruel to me.
Attached Files
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 11:42   #9

Boat: Vancouver 27

Hi Teun,

I cruised with a 75lb laika ("laika husky") for 5 years on my boat. It's doable and maybe worth it depending on the dog, where you are, and where you're going. I had my dog onboard fairly early, say 2, but he had spent those first two years on a farm, so it was a big transition for him. He was often a limiting factor and we got really good at dog biking and exploring everywhere on foot. I spent more time at marinas then I would have otherwise because it was so much easier. But I wasn't willing to take him to the islands where he would have less shoreside opportunities, and the heat would inevitably be a factor. Many do and it seems workable if you really want it.

The longest passage I undertook with the dog was 2 days. If longer, I would either board him temporarily and drive back and pick him up, or leave him with friends/family for short periods.

When we eventually headed for the bahamas and beyond, the decision was made to leave him behind and though it was difficult, it was the right choice for us. He now lives part of each year happily with my parents and we're all the better for it.

Pretty tough choices. My suggestion would be to give it a try and have a backup plan for if it doesn't make sense.

Cheers,
Ryan
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 11:54   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I had dogs most of my life and much of that on vessels. The dog needs to match the vessel size. I found a strip of sod the best tool to train a house broken dog where to do it. I never had a problem. People with protective dogs sometimes do when moored with other boats.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 14:17   #11

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

We sailed around the Caribbean for a year with our dog bear the size of a GSD. Shedding was an annoyance but we lived with it. Hair hair every where.

S/V Seawolf sailing on youtube

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 15:03   #12

German Shepherd on board

Ryan made a tough but safe choice.

I would suggest you treat the dog like any new crew member.

Swim test- Can it swim? Does it panic?

Then have each crew member lift the dog from the water onto a floating dock.

Then have each crew member lift the dog directly from the water onto the boat.

Then put the dog into the dinghy and back on deck.

Then have the dog at least pee in a designated spot onboard if any. Rinse that area.

Then determine where the dog is doing to sleep. Have it lay down there. Without moving it, relocate the boat. Then cook a meal.

If you've completed all those items you now have a good understanding of what's involved. If some were hard or dangerous on a calm day you might want to pay a pet sitter onshore.

Putting aside the scratched up gelcoat, hair and smell, it is fundamentally a human safety issue slightly offset by improved property security.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 18:34   #13

I feel sorry for big dogs on boats. Unless most time having lots of time to run on the ground somewhere, which they deserve.
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 19:55   #14

I have a German Shepherd onboard a 42' center cockpit. 4 people 2 dogs. It's a sacrifice.

PM if you have specific questions I'll be glad to discuss.
Old 26-09-2017, 15:00   #15
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

After dog attacks, many cities in the U.S. have passed laws against certain breeds. The list differs place to place. It's unfair, it's uneven, it's confusing and it's usually not enforced, but be aware that these laws could bite you in the backside. Some breeds, thought to be dangerous, are also not covered under your liability insurance.