Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2023, 05:54   #1

Passage from Florida to Havana Cuba

Hi all,

I am planning to passage from Florida to Belize in Jan/24 and considering pulling into Hemingway Marina in Cuba for a few days to visit Havana. I am looking for entry protocols and Hemingway Marina contacts as I am not having any luck.

Cheers
The Other Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 18:15   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Re: Passage from Florida to Havana Cuba

Are you a US citizen? If so, technically you may not go to Cuba for tourist type activities. Your boat could be subject to seizure. Look at https://cu.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...eling-to-cuba/ for further information.

Our Canadian friends have an easier time of it but is suggested they not go from Florida directly.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 07:14   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Just google it and go. It is pretty clear cut and easy.
Old 08-12-2023, 09:45   #4

I have been there several times in the past 10 years. It's a lot easier now with the list provided. The buildings and businesses that you may not enter are clearly marked. US currency is accepted everywhere, but you will pay US prices with dollars. With CUPs you can pay local prices but you should take care to only exchange money at the official places or you will likely get hosed. The exchangers at the airport are skilled at not making the correct conversions. Recommend using a guide if you want to do more than stroll the Malecon. Dinner and a cigar at the Hotel National listening to the live music is one of my most fond memories. While I have gone many times and I will go again, travelling there in my boat does make me nervous and I have not done it...yet!
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 09:54   #5

This link answered most of your questions:

https://havewindwilltravel.com/2017/...stoms-in-cuba/
Old 08-12-2023, 11:55   #6

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebtrois View Post
This link answered most of your questions:

https://havewindwilltravel.com/2017/...stoms-in-cuba/
That article was written before the Trump administration closed American travel to Cuba.

I don't know the exact current regulations, but to the OP, you need to check with official sources, not rely on Internet forums for this. The last I checked, which was several years ago so might not be relevant - The USCG will intercept and divert any boat leaving the US for Cuba, regardless of flag. The US sanctions against Cuba do not allow any money or goods from the US to go there, so even a foreign flagged boat, if it is leaving from the US, can't go there. In other words, go someplace else first.
When you do reenter the US, if you passport is stamped from Cuba, or if you are believed to have been there, you can be arrested, unless you went through the correct paperwork, with which tourism is not allowed.
This all changes year to year, but the consequences are high if you do it wrong and get caught. So please check with officials before planning the trip, or otherwise be sneaky about it. Note, Cubans know it's difficult for US citizens to go there, so they will help you by not stamping your passport.
Old 08-12-2023, 12:43   #7

That's true regarding when the article was written...and Biden then relaxed the conditions again. I supported the cuban people as recently as last winter. Direct flight from the US. No issues with passports like there were 20 years ago. Not saying that I am comfortable taking my boat to a communist country, but it is not true that every vessel heading toward Cuba gets diverted and/or harassed. No reason to be secretive about going, in fact, that is probably asking for trouble. The ways to go there are published and work. Only question right now is how to apply them to arriving by private boat.
Old 06-04-2024, 11:47   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Has anyone been there recently. I thought the issue was if you are returning to usa? What about a boat flagged in the bahamas and doesnt plan to return to usa it is going to the bahamas to stay.
Ken2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba, florida, passage