Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2015, 06:48   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Forum trolls

OK,
But what is accomplished by being rude and offensive?

Why do it, just to be rude and offensive? Would you act this way if the person were standing in front of you? What about if they were bigger and a little "scary" looking?
Then why do it when you have perceived anonymity?

Really if your not contributing something, why say anything at all?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 07:07   #47

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

There is a very well known member of the marine community, actually been banned from here, that spends a great deal of time following me around the web, doing his best to discredit and humiliate me. Often someone under the guise of free speech will spread rumors, innuendos and out right lies. For years we suffered from our email inbox full of hateful and profanity laden emails. All of our known email accounts were filled with spam of all kind. It took a long time to both filter out the spam and the individual. Nasty comments posted on our blog required that I moderate them to keep him off. He has hacked my account on one discussion board. That same individual has long been banned from almost every other boating discussion site. All of which I still post freely. To this day I can not give one possibility of why this occurred except that I had the audacity to disagree with this individual politely but publicly. This same individual boasts of using these techniques as his marketing plan. Why someone does this we can only speculate. Some people are just mean and sitting behind a keyboard makes them feel safe. Others have serious mental health issues and lack needed treatment. This same individual will not even look me in the eye and takes great pains to avoid meeting me face to face in public. We have just learned to ignore them and not respond. Most feed on the responses and if you ignore them. sooner or later they go away.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 07:15   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
OK,
But what is accomplished by being rude and offensive?

Why do it, just to be rude and offensive? Would you act this way if the person were standing in front of you? What about if they were bigger and a little "scary" looking?
Then why do it when you have perceived anonymity?

Really if your not contributing something, why say anything at all?
I said the right to offend, not being rude. Every time you challenge someones thinking or ideas there is a high likely hood you might offend them. Do I go about my day looking for people to offend? Of course not, who would want to live their life in that manner but if during a conversation or discussion something is brought up that I don't agree with then yes I may challenge it and you can be sure it has nothing to do with the size of the person who is making the statement. I was brought up in an environment of being a skeptic, my Dad was one by nature and all of us in the family of 8 would challenge each others thoughts. That carried over into business in the board room where it was a natural way of life. Try doing a presentation to 12 board members without being challenged! If you think that being polite and never challenging another persons thoughts and ideas is a good idea then you can live quite happily in the Middle East or anywhere for that matter but the right to offend is the very corner stone of free speech and western Liberal thinking.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 08:00   #49

"Sticks and stones may break your bones, but words can never harm you"

That is what we were taught as kids and I believe in many ways it still holds true today. You don't here this saying anymore for some reason. The internet makes this philosophy a bit more of a challenge though, because unlike the "real world" as in Anchor Guys situation you cant just run away from a true troll.

I think because kids aren't exposed to people who are mean or disagree with them as much as our generation was, when it happens they have no idea how to deal with it. I am so saddened by some that even go as far as to commit suicide over someone elses words. Like many things that life sends your way you can either fight it, ignore it, or learn to have some fun with it....but you can never control it. Some people are just different and this will always be the case.....I hope!! Trying to constantly pass laws that are hard to enforce only takes away more of our freedom....just my opinion!!

I haven't been here long but I see many people who have and I am assuming there is a good reason for that. I love this sight!!! As a wanna be boat owner there is a priceless amount of information on here!!! Much of it coming from people who know how to criticize and encourage without sounding nasty....some coming from people who are a little bit more to the point and don't mix words.

If someone has posted a question and it is answered "you need to do this, this and this to solve your problem" and ends with "you idiot!!" is that really that offensive? Does he feel that way because of something that happened to him personally and has nothing to do with you being an idiot? I focus on the good information they have provided and hope it has made me less an idiot....

There are many different kinds of storms and weather in this world, and dealing with them only makes you stronger and wiser. There are all kinds of people in this world, I like to believe how many different kinds you can deal with is a reflection on who and how strong you really are.....Just my opinion!!!

I know there are true trolls out there......just like there are people who never shower and stink like heck.....I ignore them to...mainly because I don't want to say anything that would offend them.....Just saying!!
Tolvstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 09:20   #50

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Tolvstad -- good comments, especially your point about not being able to control certain people & things that are irritating, frustrating, etc. That's a concept that I understand but nevertheless seem to have to keep learning over & over . . . .
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 10:55   #51

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

While I agree there are plenty of trolls/flamers cruising the Internet, I have found that on this board, an initial abrasive post will likely be followed by either an apology or an offer of assistance in one form or another.

While a bit clannish, the regulars on here are what keeps me coming back.
Old 20-01-2015, 10:57   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
A cardiologist living under a bridge! I think that's a better place for a troll

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
House call...

From what I get from the other posters is that we think it's our right to offend, we just shouldn't be rude about it.
Too funny.
BTW- I do not consider cyber stalking or bulling funny. Never have.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 12:23   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
House call...

From what I get from the other posters is that we think it's our right to offend, we just shouldn't be rude about it.
Too funny.
BTW- I do not consider cyber stalking or bulling funny. Never have.
Think about it...someone says you are short, that might offend some people but if you are short why would you be offended?? Short people have many advantages especially on sail boats. Your wife says to you..I think you have put on a few pounds it would be good if you lost a few..you think she cares about me. You say to her, honey I think you have put on a few pounds and she doesn't speak to you for a week. She is offended but if she did gain weight why is she offended? Now before you think I'm stupid no I don't say that to my wife but I know I could and it would not offend her. So my point is if I draw a cartoon of God you are not going to track me down and kill me, are you???(fingers crossed)
Old 20-01-2015, 12:41   #54

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

FWIW the question "Does my butt look big in these pants?" is a trap.
Old 20-01-2015, 13:06   #55

thats funny !!
Old 20-01-2015, 13:50   #56
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

does my boat look big in this lagoon????/
rodlmffao.
have fun and sail a lot.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 13:53   #57
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
FWIW the question "Does my butt look big in these pants?" is a trap.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 14:09   #58

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I said the right to offend, not being rude. Every time you challenge someones thinking or ideas there is a high likely hood you might offend them. Do I go about my day looking for people to offend? Of course not, who would want to live their life in that manner but if during a conversation or discussion something is brought up that I don't agree with then yes I may challenge it and you can be sure it has nothing to do with the size of the person who is making the statement. I was brought up in an environment of being a skeptic, my Dad was one by nature and all of us in the family of 8 would challenge each others thoughts. That carried over into business in the board room where it was a natural way of life. Try doing a presentation to 12 board members without being challenged! If you think that being polite and never challenging another persons thoughts and ideas is a good idea then you can live quite happily in the Middle East or anywhere for that matter but the right to offend is the very corner stone of free speech and western Liberal thinking.
Extremely good point and certainly pertinent here.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 14:25   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Think about it...someone says you are short, that might offend some people but if you are short why would you be offended?? Short people have many advantages especially on sail boats. Your wife says to you..I think you have put on a few pounds it would be good if you lost a few..you think she cares about me. You say to her, honey I think you have put on a few pounds and she doesn't speak to you for a week. She is offended but if she did gain weight why is she offended? Now before you think I'm stupid no I don't say that to my wife but I know I could and it would not offend her. So my point is if I draw a cartoon of God you are not going to track me down and kill me, are you???(fingers crossed)
I wanted to address this in full.
I need to finish another subject I was responding to.

The Five Symptoms of laziness:
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 14:27   #60
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
There is a very well known member of the marine community, actually been banned from here, that spends a great deal of time following me around the web, doing his best to discredit and humiliate me. Often someone under the guise of free speech will spread rumors, innuendos and out right lies. For years we suffered from our email inbox full of hateful and profanity laden emails. All of our known email accounts were filled with spam of all kind. It took a long time to both filter out the spam and the individual. Nasty comments posted on our blog required that I moderate them to keep him off. He has hacked my account on one discussion board. That same individual has long been banned from almost every other boating discussion site. All of which I still post freely. To this day I can not give one possibility of why this occurred except that I had the audacity to disagree with this individual politely but publicly. This same individual boasts of using these techniques as his marketing plan. Why someone does this we can only speculate. Some people are just mean and sitting behind a keyboard makes them feel safe. Others have serious mental health issues and lack needed treatment. This same individual will not even look me in the eye and takes great pains to avoid meeting me face to face in public. We have just learned to ignore them and not respond. Most feed on the responses and if you ignore them. sooner or later they go away.
That is terrible, Chuck. Too bad you won't out that guy! Wasn't Sully, was it? He'd have the skills.... but not sure he ever had a marketing plan.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum