Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2011, 18:18   #61

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: Cruising Budget, Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
perhaps is why no longer has one..... mebbe one with a sailing desire should match his female needs with his lifestyle needs. many felames donot sail nor do they want to live in a sailboat. omg. yipes and freak-- yer gonna make me live THERE!!!!!?????!!!!!!
ROFLMFAO. then the guy gets all huffy and cant believe his sweetie cant stand the boat..omg.ROFL.
some of us like this lifestyle and most of us dont. just like men. ye gotta find the one who likes the lifestyle and alladat before you scrunch her into a small boat and say-- come join me on htis awesome quest. she should have sed--aint my wAY, DOOD-- BUT mOST FOLKS CANNOT TALK PLAIN WITH EACH OTHER, dont know why.
ROFLLMAO... can I use that one Zee? Please Please Please...?
I won't be cruel... much... and I'll even give you credit for it... PMSL... you are so funny sometimes

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 19:25   #62
AMX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Sailoress View Post
I would go tomorrow - he wants more money. I have mine tucked away in a savings account, earning an astounding .5% interest.
Gold has averaged 18% gain for the last 10 years....(29% in 2010 alone) the way we are printing money...don't you think that it will continue making gains for a few more years?

Physical.... no paper Gold
AMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 20:11   #63

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
a fair amount of the budget include spousal maintanence.
Isn't that what our women call a boat?!?
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 22:15   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
Don't tell me you have it in a Savings account! Even a CD will bring in 3% if you look hard enough. And remember the more you have to invest with a company the higher the interest rate you can get.

A CD that pays 3%? You need to put it in for at least 5 years to get that rate. Your better off with high quality corporate bonds. Mind you, you need to keep it in otherwise you could be caught on the decrease of the bond value if interest rates go up, but if you ladder your bonds appropriately, you will always be able to be in the market.

You can get over 5% on investment grade corporate bonds.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 00:43   #65
AMX

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

Unless I missed a big day in math class....Gold averaging 18%..........for 10 years so far.....Or 5%.......Which is the better return?
5% or 18%

Stocks/bonds/saving accounts/CD's ect are paid off in dollars and dollars are beginning to be avoided in some places.... the value of the dollar is declining 76.42 right now..... it was 80 not long ago.

Dollars: A currency that can be printed on a moments notice (and they are printing billions right now)

Gold: a currency that has throughout history been the most stable way to hold wealth......which production/mining of Gold has been going down for years AND is giving their holders a average of 18% gains.

When you think about it....which is the better And safer place to park your money?
Cruisers go all over the world.......and guess what?
All those places will change Gold into money.....because Gold is Money Everywhere...always has been............

I believe that the Real Cruisers are really a group of World citizens.... World travelers that realize that the 9 to 5 world that our governments would prefer we live is not what we believe life is all about.
We will go where the winds take us and not be controlled by the powers that be.
Universal currency takes us one step closer to real Freedom.
GOLD.........Only Physical Gold will fill our needs for a universal currency..... paper dollars or stock certificates just won't do..............
Rant over now.......
AMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 05:37   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Referring to availability of Loaner Cars, in addition to those at Beaufort, NC (NC Maritime Museum)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
San Francisco, Berkely
Does Berkeley just have Car Sharing, or a true free “loaner” ?
Car Sharing | UC Berkeley - Parking & Transportation

Loaners in BeaufortBeaufort NC

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 06:46   #67

Boat: Stuart Mariner 19

The origianl poster asked for budget categories. Here are the ones I use:

Monthly:
Grocery
Restaurant
Monthly Cash (Don't budget small stuff)
Entertainment
Medical Insurance
Telephone & Internet
Marinas & Moorings
Fuel - Diesel & Propane
Fees (i.e. locks)
Storage Locker
Miscellaneous

Annual:
Medical Out of Pocket
Dentist
Clothing
Travel (Away from Boat)
Car rental
Glasses
Xmas
General Boat Repair & Parts
Boat Insurance
Haul & Paint Bottom
Administrative Assist (on Land)
Contingency
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 06:50   #68

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Cruising Budget, Part II

Loaner cars issue.

Can't see the point of arguing/documenting where you can officially get a loaner car. Everywhere I've traveled by boat in the US, cars or rides were readily offered on a very casual basis. My dive shop is adjacent to a free anchorage here in Beaufort. We get transient sailors all the time using our dinghy docks. We don't encourage it but it happens. I've personally given a bunch of rides to We$t Marine over in the next town. And loaned my car to a couple of cruisers. My wife and I were loaned 3 cars on a trip from Galveston to Miami. People are just like that. I had a boss who often flew us to sales meetings. Every little podunk airport had a loaner.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 09:25   #69

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
A CD that pays 3%? You need to put it in for at least 5 years to get that rate. Your better off with high quality corporate bonds. Mind you, you need to keep it in otherwise you could be caught on the decrease of the bond value if interest rates go up, but if you ladder your bonds appropriately, you will always be able to be in the market.

The original subject said he was getting .3%, I just said he could do better with a CD at 3%. Not that there wern't better ways.
Old 16-03-2011, 09:31   #70
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

in my budgeting i must remember shock cord for the saddlebags and inner tubes for the bicycle......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 08:17   #71

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Cruising Budget, Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
in my budgeting i must remember shock cord for the saddlebags and inner tubes for the bicycle......
Yep. I love high dollar folding bikes, but the $20 old rusty beater will still be at the dinghy dock in the morning. If you locked it.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 09:45   #72

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD

I really liked The Voyagers Handbook for a lot of this sort of info. Here is a link to some downloadeable articles including a cost of cruising article.

Articles

My club www.SYClub.ca
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 11:26   #73
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

many can write about the cost of cruising-- however, is only the cost of THEIR cruising you are reading. i find it most entertaining to read about the folks who have to emulate others in their ventures rather than start out on their own adventures. "oh, but theXXXXX"S had this-- we soooo neeed it....." rofl.
i realize emulation is the highest form of flattery but does everyone have to live alike??? is why most of us left land--all looks same same same. like modern boats are getting to becoming. no one has any imagination anymore. we becoming "samed out."
sorry-- i didnt read any "how to" books about living aboard in 1990-- there wrent any. living aboard IS survivalism. unless you have too many dollars and not enough sense. look at santa cruz and crescent city and japan and NY under the trade towers-- there were a boat or few there when all hell broke loose-- is that not considered survivalism??
one residing on board is subjected to all the angers of the sea. if that isnt survivalismm, then i dont know what could be considered survivalism. this is NOT a reality tv show, wherein survivalism is portrayed as an extreme sport. this is real. is life and is terminal if you screw up. even in a marina.
look at the damage done to marinas in storms and in disastrous natural occurrances. now tell me this isnt a survivalist lifestyle.
cost of cruising can be rewritten to read-- the cost of the authors cruising. everyone is different. everyone is gonna have different costs for living and different needs for their individual lifestyles. god forbid any kind of natural disaster afflict the area in which these non-survivalists reside aboard.
granted, until now, we have been most fortunate as to have to have survived few natural disasters other than hurrycames-- fact is-- we are overdue for real activity on htis planet.

so pray that no large scale disasters hit within your lil world. i have lived aboard during earthquakes that levelled marinas, tsunamis in more than one place-- from one inch to wtf this alst one spozedly was---lol--we were most fortunate, as we were not advised of the impending disaster---i was advisd of it not by the authorities who are suppposed to advise the citizens of the impending doom, but by a friend in texas, who at 0430 decided to awaken me to the potential. we were lucky to escape without any sign or problem. not so santa cruz or crescent city or other sea facing harbors/marinas. and now we will be showered with some kind of rain containing what we need to use for cancer cures and such rather than raining on our heads, due to reportedly poorly designed bastions breaking and allowing their glow to rain on us. that doesnt matter how much is raining on our heads--is the fact it is that is the consideration. lets hope is just the right amount to cure our individual cancers..
so--just because it doesnt LOOK like a survivalist tv show, you are the star of one-- your own. goood luck and i hope you see what you are residing in--is a big ocean with attitude. enjoy with knowledge that you do not control your lifestyle-- nature does. among other things.

my bike is a tooo small forme mountainish bike..lol..i can jump curbs in "civilized" nations..LOL

OMG!!!! i am gonna be beat on for my long observations!! uhoh......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 20:27   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

For the SF Bay area and an older er mature 34' boat. I've lived aboard the last 6 years and also sail / cruise.

Slip $315 + $200 liveaboard+($10-$30 Elec) Liveaboard fees range from $0 to $300. ($0 being hard to find, but it's out there) Slip costs range from $5.50/ft to $12.00 a foot (or more) depending on the marina. Currently I pay $187 a month with no liveaboard or utility fees. The average in the SF bay area is $8.75/foot and $200 liveaboard + elect

Insurance Oh $260 a year for $300k liability and hull coverage, But thats for a 39 year old sailboat in good condition.

Transportation (Land) $200 for car and insurance, +$50 to $150 a month for gas.

Food (including House keeping staples) $200-$240 ish for 1+cat ( I have an expensive cat)

Laundry $10

Entertainment $50 ish, I'm a cheep date, ha.

maintenance fund month to month oh $50, a haul out for me is $1000 if I do it or $1600-$2000 if someone else does is. Generally I'll do it.

Fuel For a sailboat that burns 0.4 gph, oh $20 ish a month or so, $18 propane lasts 8+ months (non-winter) but may only last a week or two if you have propane heat in the winter.

Really it all depends on what boat you have and where you dock it. A trip to the delta and back costs me maybe $30 for fuel. For a powerboat it could be $800 or so for the same trip. It all depends on what you want.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 16:48   #75

Boat: Canoe,One Person SailBoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
We can all guess what we would like to spend per month, and many of us know what we have spent on average per month. What I would like to know is: What are your budgeted expenses? (Not how much)
  1. Slip (Including utilities and "liveaboard" fees)
  2. Insurance
  3. Transportation (Land)
  4. Food (including House keeping staples)
  5. Laundry
  6. Intertainment
  7. maintenance fund
  8. Fuel
These are not in any order and by no means a complete list.
What would you add? With this list a person can get a better handle on exactly how much they could expect to spend/month.
  1. Slip (Including utilities and "liveaboard" fees)
Some charg you by the foot long of your boat?
Some charg you by the slip. per munth.?

2. Insurance
Like all things that depends on the plan you get.?

3. Transportation (Land)
That depends on car rentals,Taxi,Bus, actces to the Marina.?

4. Food (including House keeping staples)
Food: 1. stored for at dock. 2. stored for at sea. 3. eat at a restrunt.

House keeping:If it is your own boat then you do all the cleaning.
you can
ask the Marina where is the closes place to restock your boat?

5. Laundry
Laundry: Laundry mat,wash at sea In California they do not want you droping water or tolet wast over board so the boat tank must be made so it can be pumped out like a RV. If you have your own waser/Dryer on board.and so on.

6. Intertainment
If you have a TV on board,board games,Nabor party and you own party,

7.maintenance fund
Very inporten: keep it full and add up the coast of any thing on your boat that you mite need to replace and keep a list of new coast for these repairs and dry docking if needed.

8. Fuel
At depends on you if you are on Desail,Electric,Both.
NativeUSAindian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, cruising