Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2011, 13:13   #31

Boat: Pearson 323
Re: Cruising Budget, Part II

Don,

I am not a livaboard, nor a cruiser (yet), but I can give an idea of what I pay in the Galveston Bay (Clear Lake) area for a couple of the items you list:

1. Slip fees: $265/mo for a 35 ft slip. If I were a livaboard, the slip fees may be a little higher. In addition, electric is about $15-20/mo in the winter to run an electric heater. In summer, if you run AC, it will no doubt cost more. There are also pumpout fees, and perhaps water. Maybe propane costs if you cook onboard. Also depends, do you pay for internet (it is free in my marina), and cable, cell phone, etc. Depends on how elaborate a livaboard lifestyle you want.

2. Insurance: I have full coverage to 30K, and pay about $50/month. By the way, whether you can get insurance or not may depend on how far you journey from your "home" port.

Other: I also maintain a BoatUS towing service, at about $150/year. We have skinny water around here, and I am not that great a sailor. One towing mishap will cover the full annual rate, easily.

Hope this helps.
StringBimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 13:35   #32
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
No, your answer was fine, I just didn't explain the question right.
LoL it can sometimes be a pig to nail the right question

Although not used the technique on a boat, but times passed on my extended forays into Sout East Asia the budget was usually controlled by knowing where to be that didn't require big $$$ spending. even if the opportunity to do so was nice to still have on hand (never any sitting in the jungle stuff for me ) it was not actually required...........and as and when budget (and inclination) allowed, spending cash in my own time...........having your own different lifestyles and mixing them up and giving yourself options.........sometimes all that meant £10k over 6 months. on the odd occassion sometimes that a month . and now and again I even broke even as long as I didn't count stuff ...........the back stop was always - come back early.

I reckon somethings you do need to make up yerself.

having a few quid in the bank means you can smooth expenses over an extended period...........so you can "save up" for the new mainsail during the 6 months after you have bought it. Not having to go without for 6 months saving the pennies from the monthly income. and allows that a short term expensive PITA does not become a complete £££ disaster.........The biggest short term "saving" that folk can do is deferring repairs and maintanence - somethings you can defer with great penalty, but sometimes it simply increases the later cost......but in your shoes, starting out with at least a fairly well sorted boat (maintanence done already!) then fingers crossed - and a fair wind your first 6 months should allow you to nail your personal and the boat running expenses (and variables).......before you start having to factor in and budget for too much maintanence (if you are going forever - then everything will need doing, at some point ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 14:04   #33

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

Okay, I handle things two ways:

Fixed, every month expenses.
Everything else.

My fixed expenses are: car payment, medication, credit card, phone, internet download service(my version of TV), auto insurance, boat insurance, slip

These are pretty much predictable and don't really vary for me as a live aboard.

Past that, I track everything using mint.com. Inside that I set up several budgets: Gas, Entertainment, Groceries, Dining out, ATM, Shopping.

I set targets in that and try not to go over my "total" of the month, which is the sum of the above budgets. A lot of times I do go over, but what's important is that I'm tracking my expenses in all of the above and after a couple years of doing this I pretty much know about how much I'm spending per month on the above.

So between my "fixed" expenses and my "flex" budgets I can predict pretty well how much I spend every month.

I don't have a "boat costs" budget yet. At the moment all my income left over from all of the above is going into my boat getting her ready for cruising. That and in paying off my car and credit cards, so I won't have those anymore in my "fixed" budget while I'm cruising.

Mint also allows "rollover" budgets, so I may end doing things like taking my flex budgets and let them rollover month to month. So one month I may buy no food(I may be in the middle of nowhere), but then spend a lot the next month stocking up.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 14:40   #34
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Troublemaker! Congrats on your new "MOD JOB"!
Thanks RTB !

Don,

We seem to be annoying you, with our inability to answer your question. But, please say again what you're after, in d=really simple language for me.

First, I thought you wanted an idea of how much we spend. That wasn't it.

Then, I thought you wanted an idea of what we spend it on. But that wasn't it either.

You're not asking how much is enough. What is your question...??
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 15:33   #35

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
  1. Slip (Including utilities and "liveaboard" fees)
  2. Insurance
  3. Transportation (Land)
  4. Food (including House keeping staples)
  5. Laundry
  6. Intertainment
  7. maintenance fund
  8. Fuel
26' boat, 2 persons onboard, public (=govt owned) marina in Canary Islands, no discounts,

all amts in USD equivalents per month, 2 onboard

1. slip - 200, (no discount, 30% discount possible on 6 mnth pre-payment),
2. insurance - 7, (third party only),
3. transportation - 0, (we will walk),
4. food - 200, (per 2, cooking on board, vegetarian/fish/eggs/milk diet),
5. laundry - 10,
6. enterntainment - 0, (I am my own walkman, museums are free here),
7. maintenance - 100, (boat is 30 y.o., haul-out and paint included),
8. fuel - 0, (we are in the marina now)

9. other - 50, (soap, tooth paste, toilet paper, T-shirts and jandals ;-)).

Notes:

Add 4) : Per two. Anybody thinking they can survive on half the amt while living alone will do so at their own risk. IMHO without the extensive market knowledge and cooking skills of my first mate the food figure would be at least twice higher. Also, any meat based diet would be way more expensive here (1 kg of potato = 1 USD, 1 kg beef = 8 USD, etc.).

Add 7) : The maintenance figure is a bare minimum one - e.g. cost of new sails, new stove, etc. have not been included while these are due. The cruising / sailing mode figure would be much higher, or else the boat's condition would seriously deteriorate.

Add 8) : Our cruising / sailing expenses on fuel / lubricants / consumables will be approx 50 per month.

General note I: This is our "marina, sit out" budget. We are in a place that is neither cheap nor expensive. It is a no fancy & no deprivation budget - we could live in the survival mode for less but it would stop being fun.

General note II: Our sailing / cruising budget is slightly lower than our marina budget: we will spend less on marina but more on boat food and paperwork (cruising permits, visas, etc..).

General note III: This budget corresponds with our former (pre-cruising) lifestyle: no car, no TV, no mobile, no insurance, no mortgage (etc. blahblahblah) ever. To anybody with more worldly lifestyle what we are doing here would be beyond (below) thinking.

"Don't try this at home" ;-)

But seriously: we are having a most marginal and very happy life at this budget level. The only thing we miss out is being able to jump on the plane and go skiing for a month each winter.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 15:35   #36

HI Don

Cheek this link out.. Third Day

All the best

Ole
olesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 18:16   #37

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBimini View Post
Don,

I am not a livaboard, nor a cruiser (yet), but I can give an idea of what I pay in the Galveston Bay (Clear Lake) area for a couple of the items you list:

1. Slip fees: $265/mo for a 35 ft slip. If I were a livaboard, the slip fees may be a little higher. In addition, electric is about $15-20/mo in the winter to run an electric heater. In summer, if you run AC, it will no doubt cost more. There are also pumpout fees, and perhaps water. Maybe propane costs if you cook onboard. Also depends, do you pay for internet (it is free in my marina), and cable, cell phone, etc. Depends on how elaborate a livaboard lifestyle you want.

2. Insurance: I have full coverage to 30K, and pay about $50/month. By the way, whether you can get insurance or not may depend on how far you journey from your "home" port.

Other: I also maintain a BoatUS towing service, at about $150/year. We have skinny water around here, and I am not that great a sailor. One towing mishap will cover the full annual rate, easily.

Hope this helps.
That is about what I thought for Slip and Insurance, There are US wide insurance companies.

The BoatUS Towing service is a good one that I did forget, Thanks! I'll be using the sh*t out of that one!
Old 14-03-2011, 18:26   #38

I can only speach for myself but when I made this life changing dicision I understood that a change of mind set would be in order.., Have confidence your on the right path...a photo says 1000 words...you are good looking and give the impresion of a truswarthy chap...you may feel alone and insecure but your honesty says much about you...I think you will make many friends in your new life.
rgds
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 00:19   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
I can only speach for myself but when I made this life changing dicision I understood that a change of mind set would be in order.., Have confidence your on the right path...a photo says 1000 words...you are good looking and give the impresion of a truswarthy chap...you may feel alone and insecure but your honesty says much about you...I think you will make many friends in your new life.
rgds
oops!!! too many beers last night
this post was for someone els...very sorry
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 05:01   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Another thing to remember is quite a few places have a system similar to Beaufort/Morehead City where you can book a [free] car...

Please name another.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 06:35   #41

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi
rgds
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
oops!!! too many beers last night
this post was for someone els...very sorry
So.....I'm NOT honest, sincere, and good looking. Well, I guess I won't be making many friends. I need to update the picture, the beard is much longer now, maybe that will fix my looks.
Old 15-03-2011, 06:43   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising Budget, Part II

Quote:
So.....I'm NOT honest, sincere, and good looking. Well, I guess I won't be making many friends. I need to update the picture, the beard is much longer now, maybe that will fix my looks.
Ahhhhh... a ZZTop Groupie.....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 07:09   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Please name another.
Sorry Gord... going on hearsay from a coupla other brit liveaboards I came across on the ICW... personal experience limited to Beaufort... damn nice town with an excellent boat museum... and an interesting history.. from my perspective..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 15-03-2011, 07:16   #44

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
the beard is much longer now, maybe that will fix my looks.
I'm working on the Brad Pitt look myself.

Progress has been slow.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 07:21   #45
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
I'm working on the Brad Pitt look myself.

Progress has been slow.
Tried that and gave up.... could not get under the 75yr old look....
maybe if I changed my name... Benjamin... hmmmm... I wonder..

Tags
budget, cruising