Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2018, 08:48   #1

Boat: Summer Twins 25
Circumnavigation with only an outboard.

I was wondering how many people have completed a circumnavigation with only an outboard engine?
Is it a viable option rather than having a diesel inboard?
philipmclaren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:05   #2

Re: Circumnavigation with only and outboard.

Given that people have circumnavigated with no engine at all, the absolute answer to your question should be rather obvious...

The practical answer is (like all things sailing) IT DEPENDS. It depends on the boat (and the sailor at the helm!) It has to be a boat where you can sail out of what ever trouble you get into, because you really can't count on an outboard in large waves or strong winds to save your bacon.

Now the question you really want to ask yourself, is do I want to circumnavigate in a boat small enough that an outboard is a appropriate engine. Nobody can answer that for you...
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:45   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800

Hello Philip. Interesting question.

Generally, boats suitable for bluewater cruising are constructed with inboards (or saildrives), so it would be difficult to find a suitable boat.

I would be concerned about the reliability of a stern-mounted outboard in extremely heavy seas, where motoring is sometimes necessary, because of the possibility that the motor could be flooded above the air intake.

Then again there are some circumnavigations completed in boats that have no motor at all. @boat_alexandria has been cruising in this fashion for quite some time. I do not know if he has completed a circumnavigaiton.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:41   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

Yes, it is a viable option.

There are a few small Water boats">Blue Water Boats that are well suited to outboards. Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org

A few of these are :

Contessa 26 (Tania Aebi)
Bristol 27
Pearson Triton 28 (James Baldwin, atomvoyages.com)
Vega 27 (Matt Rutherford circumnavigated the Americas, solo the Americas)
Marieholm International Folkboat 26

A Pearson Triton has circumnavigated with an outboard and without. A Contessa 26 has circumnavigated mostly with a broken inboard engine

The others have crossed oceans so I'm sure they could circumnavigate if they haven't already with an outboard

A Lapworth 24 with an outboard sailed 3/4 the way around (Robin Lee Graham) before he bought a bigger boat
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:48   #5

Boat: 16' Canoe {Northern 25 previously}

Richard Woods designs from the 35' Romany & Eclipse & Tamar & Gypsy could all circumnavigate and all use OB's as an option....As others have mentioned Pardeys' cruised without an Engine as have others most likely.
With Catamarans you move the OB's forward from the stern ,use long shaft etc.
One or two as option ,I'd go for a 20HP as Yamaha's newest are lighter now depending if you want to save weight back there and your situation ,9.9 HP is enough or 8....
Jimmathieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:51   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Hello Philip. Interesting question.

Generally, boats suitable for bluewater cruising are constructed with inboards (or saildrives), so it would be difficult to find a suitable boat.

I would be concerned about the reliability of a stern-mounted outboard in extremely heavy seas, where motoring is sometimes necessary, because of the possibility that the motor could be flooded above the air intake.

Then again there are some circumnavigations completed in boats that have no motor at all. @boat_alexandria has been cruising in this fashion for quite some time. I do not know if he has completed a circumnavigaiton.
Stern mounted outboards can be removed and placed in a protected area after leaving the slip.

For example, I put mine on the stern railing mount where the PO used to keep his dinghy engine.

I could also place it inside the cabin if necessary. The prop could be removed and it
could put it in the area where the diesel used to be, in the hanging locker, or the V Berth

Also, my new (2012) 5 hp extra long shaft (25") 4 stroke Mercury outboard with integral and external tank capability can push my boat as well as the old 10 hp diesel that used to be in it.

Btw the outboard weighs 58 lbs. The old diesel weighed 352 lbs

I think it helps if you've sailed a few years engineless though if you plan to use an outboard
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:58   #7

At the moment i have two yanmar 1 gm in each hull, its a Catamaran. I have the option of putting in an outboard in a central well, central cockpit, its a Heavenly Twins.

I have bought two Selva 9.9 Sail Drive one with 5 year warranty. I could do with the extra space in the hulls as we have 5 kids and it would be great for putting stoop throughs into the aft cabins for safety.

I am at the stage in my project where i need to decide. so thought i would put the question out there.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:10   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Circumnavigation with only and outboard.

Dont.. DONT go sail drive.. worst thing ever created.
Stick a 25hp LS in the cockpit well and use the underseat lockers to store your fuel.
The HT outboard set up is pretty good I have found.. it wont push you into 25kts+ winds and 1.5+ metre seas.. but then neither will the sail drives which will sit further aft.
Speaking as someone who has sailed them.. go for the ob.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient.. and politicians NEVER bite the hand that feeds.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:36   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

5 kids?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 13:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Dont.. DONT go sail drive.. worst thing ever created.

Stick a 25hp LS in the cockpit well and use the underseat lockers to store your fuel.

The HT outboard set up is pretty good I have found.. it wont push you into 25kts+ winds and 1.5+ metre seas.. but then neither will the sail drives which will sit further aft.

Speaking as someone who has sailed them.. go for the ob.

The selva sail drives are 9.9hp out boards.
So you would recommend 25hp instead?
Old 10-05-2018, 13:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
5 kids?

Yeah I’m getting the snip now. [emoji51]
Old 10-05-2018, 13:40   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Circumnavigation with only and outboard.

Sorry.. when you said Saildrives I immediately pictured holes cut in the hulls and a Lagoon style set up.. especially with you saying you would prefer to keep aft cabin space.
If you already have the 9.5hp OB's give them a try.. see if you are happy with the performance before going for something bigger.
But from scratch I'd choose a centre cockpit L/S 4 stroke outboard, minimum 15hp I would say as you'll likely be weighed down to your lines or beyond.
That should give you plenty enough power to push you at hull speed with 50% to 75% revs and a good prop.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient.. and politicians NEVER bite the hand that feeds.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 13:56   #13

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

I had a quick look at the specs on the Selva and they are a bit different. The 9.9 Sail version is light but is only 1 cylinder which is a bit strange. The prop is not big like the Yamaha 9.9 Hi thrust. The Selva does not have the 3:1 ratio gearbox of the Yammie. I would go for two Yamaha 9.9 a they are very reliable engines and you can get spares anywhere. I would not buy a Selva.

A steerable Yamaha 25 sitting in the middle nacelle would do pretty well in the Heavenly Twins. Steering a central outboard makes a huge difference. It would be much easier to mount than twins and the Yammie 25hp Hi thrust is a really nice engine (Mine has worked flawlessly for 12 years now.)

There is a lot of misunderstanding about good outboards and their usable life. My 12 year old Yammie is showing no signs of age and is performing as well as ever. It will cost less to replace (buy new and sell old one) than my friend spent on doing a major service and hose replacement on his diesel.

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 15:54   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsketcher View Post
I had a quick look at the specs on the Selva and they are a bit different. The 9.9 Sail version is light but is only 1 cylinder which is a bit strange. The prop is not big like the Yamaha 9.9 Hi thrust. The Selva does not have the 3:1 ratio gearbox of the Yammie. I would go for two Yamaha 9.9 a they are very reliable engines and you can get spares anywhere. I would not buy a Selva.

A steerable Yamaha 25 sitting in the middle nacelle would do pretty well in the Heavenly Twins. Steering a central outboard makes a huge difference. It would be much easier to mount than twins and the Yammie 25hp Hi thrust is a really nice engine (Mine has worked flawlessly for 12 years now.)

There is a lot of misunderstanding about good outboards and their usable life. My 12 year old Yammie is showing no signs of age and is performing as well as ever. It will cost less to replace (buy new and sell old one) than my friend spent on doing a major service and hose replacement on his diesel.

cheers

Phil

https://www.european-business.com/selva-spa/portrait/

Selva makes a lot of the Yamaha engines for Yamaha
Old 11-05-2018, 09:23   #15

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25
Re: Circumnavigation with only an outboard.

Moitessier had to install an engine in order to teach sailing before his circumnavigation, and he installed, as I recall, an 8 hp pull start, 2 stroke lawnmower motor, which he took out before his circumnavigation. Webb Chile (?) is doing his 6 th or 7th right now with an electric outboard.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation, outboard