Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2013, 07:19   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
re: Anchoring Rights Endangered in NC?

Okay, let's just re-frame this a bit.

How can a cruising population who are by definition transient ever exert consistent political pressure? even for policies that have precedent and are fair and desired by many sailors?

Some years back, the SSCA mobilized their membership to explain to Florida the ways that cruisers bring benefits to townships and do not use many of their own taxpayers' services, in order to ease anchoring restrictions.

However, as Cruisers Forum is supposed to be non-political, and this issue surely is, I suggest the conversation be taken to another (gasp!) forum where something might be accomplished, and politics are permitted.
Old 15-09-2013, 07:19   #17

Boat: OPB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post

not needed. thru a global internet system sailors would share data, including depth charts.
Ok, I'll play along. And who created, supported, and developed, and maintains this global Internet? Just to cut outa few steps here;

A: the telecomm industry
Q: without government "interference" only the rich would have Internet. (Well there kids colleges at first, then their kids would graduate and want it at home). Without government handouts there would be no global Internet system.

Your turn....
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 07:27   #18

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
... Gothvanhellsing doesn't have a physical address, can't vote...
Incorrect. Homeless people can vote (in spite of Republican efforts to prevent it).
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 07:34   #19

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Who do you think makes the almanacs you'll be using?

I use the Farmer's Almanac, is there another?
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 07:44   #20

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
Incorrect. Homeless people can vote (in spite of Republican efforts to prevent it).
Really??? What precinct does a homeless person get assigned to? What local district are they assigned to for local politics. Maybe they get to vote at the county or state level, but they will be effectively excluded from the ballot concerning local issues. Besides one guy on a sailboat versus 900 in the town. What elected official is going to side with the boater? I really don't know if this is a major issue in the town of Oriental or just a few activists making a stink. One can not always tell if a web site reflects the views of many or just a few.

It's just like this thread, a few of us are participating in the discussion, but most of the thousands of members are not. Can we say that the views expressed here are reflective of the views of all members of the CF community? I doubt it.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 07:53   #21
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Grind View Post
Ok, I'll play along. And who created, supported, and developed, and maintains this global Internet? Just to cut outa few steps here;

A: the telecomm industry
Q: without government "interference" only the rich would have Internet. (Well there kids colleges at first, then their kids would graduate and want it at home). Without government handouts there would be no global Internet system.

Your turn....
Wrong internet.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 07:59   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate re: Anchoring Rights Endangered in NC?

Because they own the land, businesses... and provide most of the jobs in the area.... and they offered me a new Mercedes for just a teeny change in policy....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 08:08   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

I don't know the actual statistics but I'm sure that boat owners make up a very small percentage of the voting public.
When it comes to small town politics, it might even be boat owners that are in favor of removing the derelict boats because they have to deal with the view assuming some of them own waterfront property.

In Texas, we now have to register O/B motors with the state. I'm sure the legislators were not concerned about the boat owning public.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 08:10   #24

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Really??? What precinct does a homeless person get assigned to? What local district are they assigned to for local politics. ...
Maybe study up: National Coalition for the Homeless

Voting is a protected right.

Does not protect the minority from the wishes of the majority however. (Fortunately we do have a Constitution to help there).
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 08:14   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Moderators Note!!!!!

Our normal Terms of Use do not allow political discussion. However if it directly affects cruisers we do allowed it.

The OP clearly indicated that this topic is on a specific situation.

If users cannot address just that situation but insist on wandering off into all sorts of other political areas, this thread will be closed.
Old 15-09-2013, 08:18   #26

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I live in Montana and we have passed a stream access law. It gives the public the right to use any natural body of water for recreational purposes. If I want to go fishing in Ted Turners vast holdings here in my county then I can without permission. It seems only fair. The rest of the country should be this way.

PS I met Ted about 15 years ago and he's an alright kinda guy. Not pretentious at all.
Old 15-09-2013, 08:25   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I live in Montana and we have passed a stream access law. It gives the public the right to use any natural body of water for recreational purposes. If I want to go fishing in Ted Turners vast holdings here in my county then I can without permission. It seems only fair. The rest of the country should be this way.

PS I met Ted about 15 years ago and he's an alright kinda guy. Not pretentious at all.
So then what's the incentive in capitalism if you can't work for what you desire? In Ted's case, I'm sure it's privacy from all the townspeople BBQing on pontoons in his back yard...
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 08:34   #28

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

If you want privacy then don't buy waterfront property.
In Montana ya gotta stay in the water or below the high water mark and mostly you'll be wading at Teds. Flyfishing is popular here as in The River Runs Through It. If you want to haul your barbie then have fun.
This law was passed because wealthy land barons were trying to restrict the public from the right to use the waterways. If you enter the water from a public access then you have the right to use the river from Yellowstone National Park to The Gulf of Mexico.
Old 15-09-2013, 08:41   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
So then what's the incentive in capitalism if you can't work for what you desire? In Ted's case, I'm sure it's privacy from all the townspeople BBQing on pontoons in his back yard...
Depends on what you desire, doesn't it...?

I kind of like that waterways, beaches, etc are usually considered public domain in many places. Otherwise alot of us would be s#!t out of luck for boating access.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 08:43   #30

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Grind View Post
without government "interference" only the rich would have Internet. (Well there kids colleges at first, then their kids would graduate and want it at home). Without government handouts there would be no global Internet system.
So basically you are saying that the government had to _force_ the telco's in to making oodles of money?
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
government, men