Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2013, 08:47   #31

re: Anchoring Rights Endangered in NC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Depends on what you desire, doesn't it...?

I kind of like that waterways, beaches, etc are usually considered public domain in many places. Otherwise alot of us would be s#!t out of luck for boating access.
A lot of what affects boaters access and ability to anchor is increasingly, places are being converted to private control, removed from the public domain.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 08:52   #32

This discussion is doing a great job of demonstrating why governments historically get bigger and bigger until they fail from being too big and sucking in too much of the avaliable money. Namely, because everbody has something they want government to do for them whether or not it's necessary, or reasonable, or fair, or even a good idea.

It's way past the point of being stopped now.
Old 15-09-2013, 08:56   #33

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I live in Montana and we have passed a stream access law. It gives the public the right to use any natural body of water for recreational purposes. If I want to go fishing in Ted Turners vast holdings here in my county then I can without permission. It seems only fair. The rest of the country should be this way.

PS I met Ted about 15 years ago and he's an alright kinda guy. Not pretentious at all.
One of the best things MT did. Not so in CO where if you are floating a navigable river you can run into someones fences crossing the waterway. Ted Turner is a pretty good guy and seems very into public access and conservation. Of course his land holdings are huge so no real chance of someone having a bbq in his back yard. I used to clean his house up the Gallatin Canyon and the offices in Gateway.
I believe beach access is the same in FL from the water. Just so much is not accessible from the land because of private property. Still if you anchor and go to the beach in front of their house (high water) you will likely be told to leave.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 09:01   #34
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i am not poor, or filthy rich. i don't want any government except defense and a small police force.
I want to have sex with Kate winslet , both things are equally never going to happen

Dave
Old 15-09-2013, 09:03   #35
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post

The government as we know it is doomed to fail.
Of course it is , why, cause scoobert says to will

Dave
Old 15-09-2013, 09:05   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
So basically you are saying that the government had to _force_ the telco's in to making oodles of money?
There's a third force that no-one's mentioned that had a major hand in shaping the Internet - open-source.

Government seeded the network (eg ARPANET), the telcos built it to government spec, but the Internet became as we know it because of protocols and software created by universities and dedicated amateurs.

Have you ever seen the networked services that the telcos tried to launch themselves? Up here, Bell Canada tried one ... ALEX. Yecch.

CompuServe and AOL were early successful commercial players, but they was built on top of the open infrastructure already in place.

So, as well as the well-known poles of "free enterprise" and "big government" is another - "open-source", where it is understood that openness benefits all, including business, and where knowledge is part of the common, not some hoarded commodity to seek rent from.

How could "open-source" apply to this situation? Well, if nationally the governments and stakeholders (landowners, boaters) could ever sit down together and discuss, perhaps some common principles could emerge, such as that all harbours should provide for a mix of users, have a mix of permanent and transient spots, and agree on some framework for setting reasonable services and costs. Instead of a patchwork of wildly-different laws and facilities. I know, this is all but impossible in the US...

Ok, enough derail
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 09:30   #37

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I want to have sex with Kate winslet , both things are equally never going to happen Dave
Just think positive!
Old 15-09-2013, 09:44   #38

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Well the Gov. has a better chance then Scoobert has if he still thinks he's going to stand 16 hr watchs, and his wife to do the same LOL Just sayin, some folks have some strange Ideas!!
Old 15-09-2013, 09:58   #39

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
So I don't really mean this to be about politics, but it really can't be avoided.

In relation to the anchoring in Oriental, NC it is the TEA party backed representatives that are looking to literally tread on boaters rights at the insistence of well healed land owners. they intend to introduce state legislation to allow any city to make up it's own anchoring laws.

What gives?
How about a link to back some of this stuff up?
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 10:12   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

towndock.net

Check the section about how the republican reps are waxing on about all the great work they've done limiting freedoms and what not like women's right, etc and their next move is to limit anchoring rights.

This is what pisses me off, these guys run around telling everyone about freedom to get elected and the first thing they do is limit it. They've done the same thing here in FL. Charlie Crist's NMMA and Boat US sponsored anchoring law has been basically thrown out while certain towns are allowed to "experiment" with their own anchoring laws. Law comes up for review next year or two and no doubt these great protectors of freedom and "choice" will shred the law.

Here is St Augustine a literally centuries old anchorage was recently "protected" as a shellfish harvest area. No boats can anchor (copper bottom paint), but no problems for the guys with homes with docks in the protected area. Dock whatever you want.
Old 15-09-2013, 11:01   #41
Nearly an old salt

I beginning to think anchoring rights owned by the Crown arnt such a bad idea after all

dave
Old 15-09-2013, 11:18   #42

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Non cruisers think we are all Boatnicks..we are all out there going commando and refusing to shave. Not even bringing up Rum. The thing is they are right! I just got back from several weeks cruising and met all our brethren out there. Some folks off of a big ol Bayliner even helped me walk Idora out of a slip that she could not get out of on her own. Towns folk were uniformly friendly at all stops. Most places, though not all were under local control.

I think its about the culture of the location your in. Good cultures are nice and bad ones are full of haters. If it is true that we get the government we deserve then conservative areas are only beginning to get what's coming to them. Boats are mobile, get on it and go.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 13:29   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
towndock.net
Where? It looks like one commissioner proposed something and it didn't go anywhere. You've got to show us what you're talking about if you want to be taken seriously.
Old 15-09-2013, 13:39   #44

I did read this article on it though:

"To a lot of eyes, the boats anchored long-term violate an unwritten pact in Oriental — the anchorage has traditionally been a place for visiting boaters to drop the hook and visit town, sometimes for a night, sometimes for a few weeks. Until recent years, there’s not been a need for any stated limits on anchoring.

A month in to hurricane season, another concern arises. Two of the boats have already broken free of their anchors in storms this year; would they present a risk to structures or other boats on the harbor should they break free in a storm surge or hurricane force winds? "

Seems like they had a good thing going until some folks starting taking advantage. Its the tragedy of the commons at work here.
Old 15-09-2013, 13:52   #45

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

The national forest has a rule that you can stay in one place either a paysite or not for 15 days and then you have to move on for the next 15 days. I believe you have to move 5 miles away. After 15 days you can come back. That's a pretty good rule. My buddy did this for a year in his motorhome. Frickin skibums.

Tags
government, men