Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2013, 15:22   #46

Boat: Catalina 36
re: Anchoring Rights Endangered in NC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Afterward, in interviews with TownDock.net both said they would bring legislation to the General Assembly that would give Oriental jurisdiction over the waters off of its shores. Getting jurisdiction would then officially give the Town the ability to put time limits on how long vessels could anchor, and relieve the town of the homesteading currently underway in Oriental’s limited anchorage.
Well this sounds great! Everything upfront and spelled out and everything.
Old 15-09-2013, 15:25   #47
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why is small government only for the rich?

I will say this... when I was there in 04-05 there were a lot of creek waterfront houses offering their docks for what seemed really low rents (to a Brit)... $100/mth and most had water/elec thrown in so there were/are cheap alternatives for those looking to stay longer term in Oriental for work or whatever..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 17:26   #48

Boat: crappy old canoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab
I live in Montana and we have passed a stream access law. It gives the public the right to use any natural body of water for recreational purposes. If I want to go fishing in Ted Turners vast holdings here in my county then I can without permission. It seems only fair. The rest of the country should be this way.
I agree with this and wish it were true in Illinois. We have a legal issue here where a landowner can be sued if someone hurts themselves in a river that runs through their property. There is a construction company that owns both sides of the Vermillion river and so the river is effectively closed there. The business owner would like to let the river be opened but can't jeopardize his business by taking a risk for a lawsuit.
bradweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 17:42   #49
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: Anchoring Rights Endangered in NC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Grind View Post
Ok, I'll play along. And who created, supported, and developed, and maintains this global Internet? Just to cut outa few steps here;

A: the telecomm industry
Q: without government "interference" only the rich would have Internet. (Well there kids colleges at first, then their kids would graduate and want it at home). Without government handouts there would be no global Internet system.

Your turn....

i wanted to expand on this a bit.
» Proposed Hacker Satellite System Would Fight Web Censorship Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 21:49   #50

Boat: OPB
$50-400 million to launch, $1.5 million a year to run, per satellite. That would some pretty expensive Internet.

http://www.globalcomsatphone.com/hug...ite/costs.html
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 07:56   #51

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Anchoring laws are a direct result of idiots who think it is cool to buy a derelict boat and live on it until it falls apart or slips its anchor, then the idiot slips back into whatever hole they climbed out of.

In San Francisco Bay, where there are very few protected anchorages, derelict boats were all over, until the local governments started regulating things. At Treasure Island, three boats sunk at anchor and the owners disappeared... Several others slipped their anchors during storms. The local authority came up with a free permit system, which everyone bitched about until they saw it working... No more derelicts.

I don't like government regulation anymore than anyone else... But in some situations it is the right thing to do.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 20:58   #52

Boat: Pearson 30'

The scary thing is all up and down both coasts this is happening. In GA you can't sleep on your boat for more then 90 days a year unless you pay a marina money to stay there, and apply for a permit. There is nothing in the GA DNR rules that allows for composting heads, and yet the Georgia DNR claim the rule is to address pollution? Really? So unlike every other state in the Union the boaters in Georgia pollute the water more then the people living on land?
GothVanhellsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 21:04   #53

Boat: Pearson 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Anchoring laws are a direct result of idiots who think it is cool to buy a derelict boat and live on it until it falls apart or slips its anchor, then the idiot slips back into whatever hole they climbed out of.

In San Francisco Bay, where there are very few protected anchorages, derelict boats were all over, until the local governments started regulating things. At Treasure Island, three boats sunk at anchor and the owners disappeared... Several others slipped their anchors during storms. The local authority came up with a free permit system, which everyone bitched about until they saw it working... No more derelicts.

I don't like government regulation anymore than anyone else... But in some situations it is the right thing to do.
So because a small number of people do that we should make Anchoring laws, and not laws that make removing abandoned boats simpler,,, sounds reasonable to me. ~Sarcasm~ I can see a 'free' permit system depending on the protections put into it and my private business as being something that's not bad but there is nothing free about a state forcing you into commerce with a marina. Or forcing you to use a mooring ball you have to pay for.
GothVanhellsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 06:11   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothVanhellsing View Post
The scary thing is all up and down both coasts this is happening. In GA you can't sleep on your boat for more then 90 days a year unless you pay a marina money to stay there, and apply for a permit. There is nothing in the GA DNR rules that allows for composting heads, and yet the Georgia DNR claim the rule is to address pollution? Really? So unlike every other state in the Union the boaters in Georgia pollute the water more then the people living on land?
Spreading a little mis-information there. In GA, liveaboards are prohibited regardless of marina or anchor.

Just like most laws, they tend to get enforced when people abuse them. If you are cruising around GA and not staying in one place for months at a time, they likely won't ever bother you. These laws come about when people abuse the hospitality of an area.

Think of it this way: If you stop in a small motorhome for the night in a city park, odds are no one will say anything about it if you don't create any problems. Try to stay there for a month and you can expect to be asked to move along. Harbors are public domain not your personal section of sea bottom.

As the saying goes...a few bad apples...
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
government, men