Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2016, 16:49   #16

Re: A question for the Florida-dislikers????

Must admit, I'm really looking forward to stopping and shopping for stuff in Florida.

Gotta get that aerobic system in and running for the heads.

Could be a real laugh having a heads inspection with that setup on board (especially as it will be starting out with an EU compliance, even if the EU don't realise it yet lol!).
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 17:15   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i more than enjoyed west coast florida--is beautiful, as long as ye remain away from cities.

I think Zee has sort of nailed it, in my opinion anyway. But then I'm from the Rural South so that may explain it.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 17:57   #18

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

Florida has been home base for 38 years. I think Jason has the right idea, by not looking like or for trouble...you don't get into it. If you act stupidly you will get attention in a harsh way. Manners go a long way.

I have a theory about drivers...in Ohio people all drive about the same, Michiganders drive faster and the Troopers are tough. Not sure where but somewhere it is ok to turn right from the left lane or left from the right or just stop in the middle of the street to make up "our" minds. Drive 20 mph in 40 mph zones and generally don't pay attention. You would think our roads are a race course with getting cut off all the time...entitlement driving...me firsters

They all come here from all over to party or retire, even when retired...lunchtime is same time as the working stiff trying to catch a bite...backing up eating establishments...yup it's crazy in so flo...also a great place to live! It is what it is...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 18:19   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Kind of reminds me of the old saying:

"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."
Yogi Berra
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 19:07   #20

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Water Police in Florida are the worst ******** in the whole USA.

In fact the only less than very positive interaction with any official when visiting the USA has been Florida Water Police.

It takes a bit to rile me but the stupid corrupt jerk from Florida Water Police really showed me something. And that something ain't positive ...

Thank you for the opportunity to vent once again.
I live and boat around Lake Worth Inlet specifically Peanut Island. I have a red Zodiac dinghy that we putts around with on the weekends. Last year I was pulled over 3 times in prolly 2 months. Twice by the same team. I guess I just attract them. I had all the proper gear but one would have thought I had 20 square groupers pilled up. It seemed they pulled me over and gave me a hard time just cause they could. Sorry but I agree with the above.
mr336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 19:31   #21

OP, you may be hearing from some that knew what the Keys were back in the '60's, as I do. It was a really, really, cool place to be....I mean really cool. Now today, a lot of what I see in Key West, people wise especially, as well as all over Florida....makes me physically sick.

So it all depends on what time you're comparing 'today' to.
cards26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 06:15   #22

Quote:
Water Police in Florida are the worst ******** in the whole USA. In fact the only less than very positive interaction with any official when visiting the USA has been Florida Water Police.
There is no agency called the "Florida Water Police," so I'm kind of curious about which agency you actually had a problem with, and where.

The state agency that you MIGHT be referring to would be the Florida Wildlife Commission. I have heard that in a few specific areas they tend to be a bit (let's be generous and call it...) overzealous. A lot of local counties and cities also have water patrols, and I have heard that the Volusia County Sheriffs in particular can be a pain. As well as some negative reports around the Ft Myers area, though I've never been able to figure out if the problem is the Lee County Sheriffs Office, one of the local cities, or both.

In any case, more specifics would be interesting. Thanks.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 07:05   #23

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Water Police in Florida are the worst ******** in the whole USA.

In fact the only less than very positive interaction with any official when visiting the USA has been Florida Water Police.

It takes a bit to rile me but the stupid corrupt jerk from Florida Water Police really showed me something. And that something ain't positive ...

Thank you for the opportunity to vent once again.
Apparently you don't like the Florida Water Police, but since you didn't say why, your post really doesn't add to this discussion.

We have been to FL twice, a month or so each time (mostly on the St Johns River) and were always treated well.
Old 14-03-2016, 07:11   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
There is no agency called the "Florida Water Police," so I'm kind of curious about which agency you actually had a problem with, and where.
State police because I complained to his boss in Tallahassee at police headquarters. (Another great trivia question for name the US state capital).

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 07:20   #25
CLOD

Boat: none

It has always seemed that most people of the forum complaining about being stopped in FL get stopped a lot. Makes me wonder if there is something about them.
Old 14-03-2016, 07:52   #26

Boat: Pearson 303 30'3"

As a full time Florida resident and boat owner, our issues revolve around just a few points:

1) Derelict boats - they are an eyesore and cause extra damage when there's a big storm. It's also an environmental impact when they inevitably sink. I personally think the punishment for leaving a derelict boat anchored here should be keel hauling under same boat. This issue directly affects anchoring laws.

2) Party raft ups - lets face it, if you pay big money for a water front house you really don't want 50 boats rafting up and throwing a drunken noisy party every weekend. This is mostly a power boat issue, but the reflects on all of us. This issue also affects anchoring laws.

3) The police and USCG. A previous poster pointed out that if you didn't argue and were polite most times the police aren't a problem. This is true with the "water police" as well. Just have all of your stuff up to date and know and follow the laws. Be polite and DO NOT ARGUE WITH A COP. The time for arguing is in court, and in general arguing with the police does not go over big in the South.
Enchantress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 07:52   #27

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It has always seemed that most people of the forum complaining about being stopped in FL get stopped a lot. Makes me wonder if there is something about them.
Hitchhiking to FL in the 70's I got a ride by two, (by their own admission,) Cuban drug dealers who had just delivered a few bails of square grouper up to NYC. The were the nicest guys. Clean cut. To look at them you would thing the were engineers or corporate guys on a business trip. To top it off the were driving a Chrysler K car that any grandmother would be pleased to be seen with at church.

The point is that when the police stop someone deemed to be a criminal they stop him once. They take his boat and he/she goes to jail and later, trial.

People who are stopped multiple times and not fined or charged with a crime are the innocent ones, Sailorboy.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 07:54   #28

Boat: magna 43

I wave at everybody Was never boarded but was questioned at mid night by the cg to "See if I had discharged any flares" I had not. They were just finding out who was in the bay. Almost got an up close look at a helo flying low west of Key West. Had a P-3 orion circle and fly over us twice when the entire crew came on deck to see this low flying four engine jet flying a t a few hundred feet. We were good he waved his wings and headed toward Cuba
david knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 08:46   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchantress View Post
As a full time Florida resident and boat owner, our issues revolve around just a few points:

1) Derelict boats - they are an eyesore and cause extra damage when there's a big storm. It's also an environmental impact when they inevitably sink. I personally think the punishment for leaving a derelict boat anchored here should be keel hauling under same boat. This issue directly affects anchoring laws.

2) Party raft ups - lets face it, if you pay big money for a water front house you really don't want 50 boats rafting up and throwing a drunken noisy party every weekend. This is mostly a power boat issue, but the reflects on all of us. This issue also affects anchoring laws.

3) The police and USCG. A previous poster pointed out that if you didn't argue and were polite most times the police aren't a problem. This is true with the "water police" as well. Just have all of your stuff up to date and know and follow the laws. Be polite and DO NOT ARGUE WITH A COP. The time for arguing is in court, and in general arguing with the police does not go over big in the South.
Yep, we felt very welcome in Florida and ran the entire coast over the course of about 6 months.

The big issue we saw was they loved "cruisers" but they wanted the derelict boats gone. I'll leave it to others to debate if it's class warfare and such but that's really the bottom line.

If you are a cruiser who is actually traveling or staying in marinas/mooring fields on a functional boat, there is nothing to be worried about, you will be welcomed.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 08:56   #30
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I would act in Florida by taking the same advice so generously given here by those that tell Americans how to act in foreign ports.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida