Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2014, 19:47   #1

Supplies list for circumnavigating

Hello! So I'm planning a circumnavigation for 2017 and am trying to compile a list of things I'm going to need food wise and all the other little stuff I would forget, I.e first aid kit, pans. That kind of stuff, what do I really need and what will can I go without? It will be me and one other person

The crash of waves and salty air are the signs of freedom
MermaidIndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 19:57   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Supplies list for circumnavigating

To be honest here. If you have to ask questions like this you perhaps have not thought this whole thing through. You cannot consider yourself self sufficient, which you will nearly have to be, if you cannot work this kind of basic, simple logistics out for yourself.

Go camping for a month or more. That may give you some idea.

Coops.
Old 24-11-2014, 05:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
To be honest here. If you have to ask questions like this you perhaps have not thought this whole thing through.
No offense intended to the OP, but I have to agree completely.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 05:52   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

You really don't need to stock up on food, other than for the next passage. You will find food at most places you go, as well as people who eat it. Not as cheap and as much variety as you planned, but it will be there. Spares for the boat systems are worth buying. The general rule is if you have a spare on the boat, then that will not be the thing to break. Good set of tools.
Old 24-11-2014, 06:09   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy!

I see you have just a few posts on the forum so far, so you may be disappointed by responses that do not give you much information in reply to your questions or request. I offer the following in a friendly tone of voice and hope you read it that way.

From my point of view, when one is planning a circumnavigation, one should do considerable research oneself. Sites like this one have an incredible amount of information within thousands of topics. There is a search function on this site that works well. There are even forums within this site that focus on living aboard, seamanship, and other topics (food, medicines, repairs). There are many posts asking similar questions about good food and medicines to take.

So, that leads me to my suggestion on how to make this topic/thread the most helpful for all who view it in the future: First, do some research within the archives and fora and posts on this site and others. Then post some of YOUR findings (such as lists you develop) and then ask the forum members to augment, supplement, critique, add to, or discuss YOUR list.

I think if you do that, you will find more people willing to post short suggestions of things to add to YOUR lists, rather than expecting them to provide you with all the answers to your short post that contains such general questions.

I hope this suggestion helps you and others.

Put simply: post your lists and then ask others to add to them.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 06:11   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Circumnavigation of what? It will depend then.

1) Take the credit card.

Beyond the card, I bet you will want some water, some food, some technical means of transfiguring the above (on our boat it is an LPG stove with oven AND (!!!) sound supply of LPG gas in 3 LPG bottles, with two other bottles that can be filled elsewhere (one is CampingGaz type, the other is US/AUS fitting).

I think you will need some decent clothing too. I like long sleeve very lose fit shirts (high neck, buttons, in my case) in light colors and very light fabric. These protect you from excessive UV in between the tropics. Then you may want some waterproof overalls and we prefer either top shelf goretex stuff or else plain PVC stuff. And good shoes: some for walking, some for the boat on a sunny day and another pair for the wet day.

Then you may want some books to entertain you and to read up on the areas you will visit (that's only if you are interested in these areas). I would take some pilot books, some cruising guides and last some charts. It is very nice to explore on your own, so basically the books are like an optional extra in case you do not like exploring on your own.

If you are going to sail in a boat with and engine, take some fuel. I would also take some spare filters, oils, etc. to keep on going between ports.

If you are going to navigate by night, a quality pair of binnocs may help. We use 7x50 glass that hugely improves our night vision.

And so on and so forth.

Basically, today, nearly everything can be bought nearly everywhere, so it does depend on what it is that you want to circumnavigate. An island, a continent, or the world.

Have fun shopping.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 08:24   #7

Ocean Navigator's Magazine's annual issue of Ocean Voyager always has a great "Offshore Safety Checklist" with an "essentials" and "optional" list.
You should be able to pick up that issue now or you can always get back issues at oceannavigator.com
I also strongly suggest you consider the Safety @ Sea Course
Safety at Sea Seminars | US Sailing
bowieward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 09:22   #8

Boat: Alberg 30

[QUOTE=MermaidIndie;1684853]Hello! So I'm planning a circumnavigation for 2017 and am trying to compile a list of things I'm going to need food wise and all the other little stuff I would forget, I.e first aid kit, pans. That kind of stuff, what do I really need and what will can I go without? It will be me and one other person

Learn from the experts. Lyn and Larry Pardey write knowledgeable and very readable books. They have helped me in all aspects of sailing. "The Care and Feeding of Sailing Crew, 4th Edition" will answer your questions.
perfent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 09:49   #9

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

The two of you . I'd say a laptop or tablet each with all the maps & compass apps downloaded on each . A way to solar charge them . And GPS EPIRBs for each . A covered life raft. Think safety equipment . A spare rudder system is a must, i made a no tools, screws , nuts or bolts required rudder & tiller that fits flat under my hall way carpet out of kingstarboard $80. A good compass & an inexpensive compass if your not rich . Look at downed mast videos to see how to rig yours back up if it comes down would be a plus .Seal your boat up as tight as a submarine. Theres a boat safety video were the boat is put on its side with a crane , water pours in under the rub rail were the top part of a fiberglass boat & the hull part are put together .That boat sank very very quickly .These are a few of the things i've been doing to my boat over the two years i been playing with it . Good luck . Sincerely sailersteve.
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 10:15   #10

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidIndie View Post
Hello! So I'm planning a circumnavigation for 2017 and am trying to compile a list of things I'm going to need food wise and all the other little stuff I would forget, I.e first aid kit, pans. That kind of stuff, what do I really need and what will can I go without? It will be me and one other person

The crash of waves and salty air are the signs of freedom

Here are some basics
1.0 Air-Check
2.0 Food- Don't know what you like or how much you need. Do You? Better start with a 120 day supply.
3.0 Water- A gallon a day for each person on board. Can you make water without a water maker? Better Learn. You can expect at least 90 days at sea between the coast of South America and the Marquesas.
4.0 Spare parts and sails.
5.0 Electrical power- Can you make enough? Can You?
6.0 Sailing Kitty. Things break, problems pop up, Check ins need greasing. Better bring enough and have a back up. A job here and there wouldn't hurt either.

Just some things off the top off my head.
Old 24-11-2014, 10:19   #11
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidIndie View Post
Dear MermaidIndie,

Apart of Your requested "List of things" first of all You have to have certain knowledge and experience.

Guess You may start reading this as a starter.

You still have a time to get all You need for circumnavigation, right boat inclusive!

Cordially,
°Steamer
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 10:35   #12

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Given the tone of some of the responses I would be surprised if the OP ever returns.

It would be nice if they could let us know where they are, where they are going and what they plan to go in.

For all we know they may have heaps of experience but may simply never have made a long sea passage before.
Old 24-11-2014, 10:43   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

here are the basics;

rum take plenty... it can be traded for all the stuff you forgot.................
lemon or lime juice.....keeps scurvey at bay,and good on fish or in the rum.

cooking oil...I prefer olive oil
garlic,can never have enough and keeps for ages.
herbs and spices plus lots of salt as a preservative .

a sack of rice,lentills,and flour,dont forget yeast!

tomatoe concentrate,and pasta

sugar, milk powder,and oats and raisins.

fishing lines and lures

wasabi and soy sauce

happy sailing!.........no fridge needed
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 12:05   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Given the tone of some of the responses I would be surprised if the OP ever returns.

It would be nice if they could let us know where they are, where they are going and what they plan to go in.

For all we know they may have heaps of experience but may simply never have made a long sea passage before.
The op has made three posts, started three threads, and never returned to respond to anybody's answer in any of them so far. A two way conversation would be nice to get some details I agree, but this is not being offered as yet.

Coops.
Old 24-11-2014, 12:43   #15

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
here are the basics;

rum take plenty... it can be traded for all the stuff you forgot.................
lemon or lime juice.....keeps scurvey at bay,and good on fish or in the rum.

cooking oil...I prefer olive oil
garlic,can never have enough and keeps for ages.
herbs and spices plus lots of salt as a preservative .

a sack of rice,lentills,and flour,dont forget yeast!

tomatoe concentrate,and pasta

sugar, milk powder,and oats and raisins.

fishing lines and lures

wasabi and soy sauce

happy sailing!.........no fridge needed
How do you keep your flour? In Ziplock baggies? And is there any other flour that works other then wheat flour. I would also say Corn meal is a must. In double Baggies for freshness.