Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2007, 20:36   #1

Boat: Tayana 48 - Mata'irea
Discount Marine Supplies in New Zealand ?

We sailed to New Zealand from the East Coast of the United States this past year. Back home we were used to stiff price competition and price matching between marine retailers, such as Defender and Jamestown Distributors. Parts weren't cheap, but it was easy to shop around and know we were getting a good price. So far, we haven't found that to be the case here in New Zealand. Some of the prices at our local chandler here would make even West Marine blush.

We've got a few projects that we'd like to do before heading back up to the islands in April and we're finding the parts we need to be difficult and expensive to source. I know that a bunch of Kiwis and Aussies frequent this board. If any of you all could recommend a local large scale discount marine retailer, we'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Danika

s/v Mata'irea
Tayana 48
Mata'irea.com ... a boy, a girl, and a boat
Mata'irea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 21:35   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Whitworths...

I don't know how Whitworths go on delivery to New Zealand but their prices are competitive in Oz. I would expect that with larger orders of lighter items they could be quite good.

You may find that a lot of Kiwis source their stuff straight from a wholesaler or the factory. Some time with the Yellow Pages and a phone could help.

I also don't know how the local New Zealand postal service is but I have found that ordering from the better mail order places in the USA can be cheaper, and quicker than having items by special order.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 23:01   #3

Boat: Trismus 37
Some of the profit margins in NZ are horrendous, ie There is/was an Orion flare gun on trade me, when I enquired as to the retail of one in NZ I was quoted $600.00 approx, a new one in the US was around $120.00 usd. You need to do your homework as a lot of items can be bought in from overseas at a fraction of NZ prices. That being said some NZ manufactured stuff is very competitive with imported items and the quality is generally very good. You have to keep an eye on overseas freight costs as they can stuff a good deal. Also if the item coming in is below a $50.00 gst
(app $400.00 purchase price) charge it will generally not be charged.

All Marine in Whangarei is recommended as a very chandler good range and genuinely helpfull, good discounts, and they are on line <www.allmarine.co.nz>
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 01:37   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pope View Post
Some of the profit margins in NZ are horrendous ...
I don’t want to appear to be defending predatory pricing; but I think many small business’s would agree that mark-ups are dreadful - dreadfully low!
When I was in the electrical wholesale distribution business, I had to make a minimum 25% mark-up on inventory that turned over at least 4 times per year. Inventory with longer than 3 month shelf time required astronomical (200 - 500%) mark-ups, and were difficult to justify to the bean counters at head office. The cost of capital & shelf space were horrendous.
The manufacturing divisions (Westinghouse) required a minimum mark-up of 50%, and often up to 250% for catalogued items.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 14:02   #5

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Things will not be much better in Australia. I like to buy Australian made stuff if it is of good quality and support the local retailers where possible, but when it comes to boat parts, I can usually find what I want on eBay, brand new, for 1/4 of the price charged by my local chandlery.

For example, if I log onto the Garhauer Marine (USA) web site, I can see prices fro allt heir items. However, they will not sel to me, becauseI have to deal with their Australian agent who charges more than double the price.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 17:47   #6

Boat: Lotus 10.6
I have used allmarine in Whangarei. Their prices are good and the service is excellent.
The two pot paints I ordered were delivered to Wellington the next day.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 17:49   #7

Of the three Westhaven chandlers I have found Mt Smart the cheapest then Sailors Corner. Burnsco came in last. We now have a burnsco in Wellington and I use it as it is better than not having it.
Old 26-11-2007, 10:43   #8
Marine Service Provider

I was going to launch into a rant about a few things here but decided perception is very hard to argue against so I won't.

A couple of points though.

If you are only looking for a 'discounter' the chances are very high you will end up paying more than you need to and/or get lower quality. Knowing the NZ marine market a 'discounter' would be the last place I'd look for quality gear at a sharp price. There is a very good reason for this if you think about it.

Considering the amount of gear shipped around the world from NZ, including much US and EU made product, NZ pricing can't be that bad. We have shipped piles of gear to the US as we are approx. half the price even after shipping. We don't send as much as many other NZ companies I know.

With no disrespect intended, Danika, does seem to be suffering a common thing many we see from the US down here. NZ is the size of a small town in the middle of one state in the US. We don't have large scale anything except sheep.

Can't really compear flare prices Steve. The freight charges on dangerous goods are bloody evil.

An aussie company which has massive market share over there has been in NZ for a couple of year now. They are bleeding money here and are struggling very hard to compete.

I'd love to have the big margins a US mate does, many so called 'discounters' here have but as we are not going down the china made route we don't. We are not alone.

On 90% of our product lines our German, US, Italian, Japanese made product is the same or cheaper than the 'discounters' chinese made product. We are not alone.

Gord is spot on. Many don't decide what they sell for, the multi-national they buy from often does.

What are you after Danika? It sounds as if it's some specific items. Lets see if we can change your perception.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2007, 11:17   #9

Boat: Trismus 37
Using flares as an example wasn't very clever of me except to say the NZ price quoted was for the flare gun alone without any flares.
As I said in an earlier reply All Marine in Whangarei has to be one of the best chandleries in NZ, I have always found Dans advice honest and helpfull. Of course if it is ground tackle you are after Grant at Chains Ropes & Anchors is the place to go.
By the way Grant you need to get Telecom to fix your link in the White Pages, when I type in Chains Ropes etc. you are not there but if I just type in Chains then your link does appear, odd eh.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2007, 20:57   #10
Marine Service Provider

Oh just the gun, you may have a point there then.

Dan is a fountain of knowledge, I agree but he does sell some items cheaper than most for a good reason. Obviously his call but something most others haven't followed him with again for a good reason.

Re the link - I didn't know we had one to be honest. There is some serious stuff happening in the background web related here so maybe next week things will sort them self out.
Old 26-11-2007, 22:36   #11

http://www.trademe.co.nz Still can't beat trademe.
Old 27-11-2007, 22:17   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post
http://www.trademe.co.nz Still can't beat trademe.
Oh you sure can on lots of stuff. Granted not all but some stuff being sold on TMe is done at retail plus massive sometimes.

Pick and choose wisely and there are some great bargains though.
Old 27-11-2007, 23:29   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Singapore has a similar situation in it being a very small boating economy. There are lot's of little shops for general stuff - rope, bolts, etc. and the chandlery at the marina (shall go unnamed) is quite a bit higher. However - they have everything you are likely to need and are convenient.

A second chandlery that is a bit of a chore to find has less in stock but a much lower overhead due to the location. This chandlery has a reseller's deal with WM and consolidates shipments. By the time the stuff is landed here it is not much more expensive than WM and most of us locals support the hell out of this shop due to that.

The other advantage is that Singapore is basically a free port. You can order online from just about anywhere and if you can handle the freight and the wait all you pay is GST of 7.X percent these days.

Then there are the "lucky" ones like me that get 4 trips a year to the US. I fill up boxes of stuff for people and haul it back as checked luggage. No handling fee other than some amber liquids.

BTW - Sorry for the minor hijack but does anyone have a location of a Defender in the LA area. I have been going to WM in Long Beach and Orange County. I'd like to check out a Defender store next time.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 01:25   #14

I have noticed that some of the Chandlers are selling stuff on trademe for over the top prices. I have picked up some good bargains though. As with anything, you need to know the retail price or you will pay too much.

Tags
New Zealand