Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2013, 06:57   #16

Boat: San Juan 23'
Re: Sailing Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I think traveling ALL the way up the coast in that small a boat is foolhardy.

That said, you might be interested in George's trip from SF to the Salish Sea (Puget Sounds and environs).

Cruising The N.W. Coast | George M. Benson

In addition to this book, look for his narrative on that trip on his website.
To be perfectly honest, I agree. Looking at the distance and seeing the days between each trek as well as some of the areas that I'm unfamiliar with are a bit disheartening... But on the same note, it's such a rush to think about. It's such a tremendous challenge (in my fairly small comparisons) to accomplish that I just can't shy away from it. Maybe it's something about the question of guts or gall to make it, or maybe it's just plain foolish, but it's exciting to me, and there's absolutely no way I'm going to skip the trip unless it's impossible.

Or I sink.
CaptainonaWhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 07:25   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainonaWhim View Post
To be perfectly honest, I agree. Looking at the distance and seeing the days between each trek as well as some of the areas that I'm unfamiliar with are a bit disheartening... But on the same note, it's such a rush to think about. It's such a tremendous challenge (in my fairly small comparisons) to accomplish that I just can't shy away from it. Maybe it's something about the question of guts or gall to make it, or maybe it's just plain foolish, but it's exciting to me, and there's absolutely no way I'm going to skip the trip unless it's impossible.
It can be said that nothing is impossible but certainly a lot of things could be a bad idea.

If you are really convinced you want to do this let me suggest a quick test of your desire and ability. Wait for a day when it's blowing 25-30 kts and take a little trip from Eglin to Pensacola and get back to us on what you thought about it. I guarantee you will see that and likely a good bit more sailing up the coast of CA. Don't forget that 90% of the trip north you will be beating dead into the wind, waves and current.

Quote:
Or I sink.
It has been known to happen.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 07:30   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing Back Home

It can be done.. but it will need a lot of tenacity and a 'Where Angels Fear to Tread' mentality...
Or.. as the Marines allegedly say.. "No Retreat"..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 07:41   #19

Boat: Corbin 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
It can be done.. but it will need a lot of tenacity and a 'Where Angels Fear to Tread' mentality... Or.. as the Marines allegedly say.. "No Retreat"..
Big Kahunas in an SJ 23 , good on ya. Nothing teaches you better then escaping death a few times
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 14:38   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Yep, that's the one! And I definitely understand the concern.

. I do understand the worry, though.
No, mate, you do not understand the worry or the concern that more experienced sailors express.

If you knew enough to really understand the concern, why then you would have the concerns too. People have circumnavigate in boats of your size, but seldom in ones of such design, and never (IIRC) with such a limited skill set.

You will likely let your enthusiasm carry you into this adventure. Fortunately, there are a lot of bail-out opportunities for when you do begin to understand the worries.

Cheers,

Jim (who did a lot of sea miles in similar sized yachts and even when younger and enthusiastic, would not have considered your program viable)
Old 18-12-2013, 19:18   #21

Quote:

Or I sink.
I don't think it is impossible, but as an owner of a somewhat similar boat (Aquarius 23) I would suggest the same as some of the other posters.. Wait for some seriously adverse conditions, with wind and currents opposing you such that you are making virtually zero knots of progress towards your destination, no matter which tack you're on. Then consider doing this for hours and days on end. Then consider the velocity of pickup truck hauling said boat up the coast at 70 mph...

If that still doesn't deter you from sailing up the west coast, take a look at this site: http://pages.uoregon.edu/dtodd/Insid...acunaspecs.htm In particular, read the travel log of his trip around Victoria Island. It's a great read, and he has some good tips on sailing a small boat with two guys on board. If the previous hints aren't enough, consider the fact that he also chose to trailer it from Oregon to Anacortes...
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 06:23   #22

Wow, lots of calls for concern here. Any particular reason outside of the frustration of fighting up the West Coast? I've stuck it out in pretty heavy winds so far (~20kts) the first time out on the water, but all things considered it was fairly tame once we got a handle on it, and since then it's more a matter of paying attention.

For coastal sailing, why such a large worry?
Old 19-12-2013, 06:29   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Wow, lots of calls for concern here. Any particular reason outside of the frustration of fighting up the West Coast? I've stuck it out in pretty heavy winds so far (~20kts) the first time out on the water, but all things considered it was fairly tame once we got a handle on it, and since then it's more a matter of paying attention.

For one reason, sailing up the California coast is not what you might consider coastal sailing. Yes, technically you can be close to the coast, but you might be days away from a safe harbor. With strong, onshore winds many of the harbors are either inaccessible or open towards the west and not really a haven.

Google the Columbia River Bar and see what you get. Also look at some of the anchorages on the CA coast. Several are open and exposed to the west and in storm conditions will be really dangerous places to be.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 20:00   #24

Quote:

Because you can get caught out, even when coastal, and there is a hell of a difference between your estimated 20 kts and a sustained 45 gusting higher, something not that uncommon in the real world. Just the fact that you consider 20 to be "pretty heavy winds" tells us that you do not understand the things that you blithely talk about.

Jim
Old 20-12-2013, 05:04   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Because you can get caught out, even when coastal, and there is a hell of a difference between your estimated 20 kts and a sustained 45 gusting higher, something not that uncommon in the real world. Just the fact that you consider 20 to be "pretty heavy winds" tells us that you do not understand the things that you blithely talk about.

Jim
I also called them tame in the same sentence. It was the first day out on the water and I was using that as the baseline for the roughest sustained winds I've been out in so far, at least with confirmation via weather report, and because someone had said that I should sail to Pensacola in 25kts, when we did close to that from Pensacola and on the first day. And to that end, I didn't say I understand what the experience would be like, only that I understood the cause for concern; i.e. unexpected conditions, or otherwise.

Which brings me to this thread; I recognize that this isn't something I've experienced before (which is why I'm going out to do it!), and I was looking for what to expect or advice on how to go about getting it done (which has been amply supplied in terms of explaining what to expect on the West coast and ways to get practiced for it before actually making the plunge).
Old 06-07-2014, 09:09   #26

Boat: Hunter 27

I have a Cal20 and I have had it out in some heavy winds. 20 knots it hits its sweet spot. The boat is tough I have washed the windows more than once. The down side is I was wet cold and exhausted after a few hours. Mine has a trailer so I am taking advantage of it. If I explore I will drive it there.
I know about loving your boat as mine is a great little boat. I am not saying you can't do anything what I am saying is get out there and see what it is like. I hate motoring against the current in mine any distance. Low fretboard means getting wet. After a while the fun day sails can get gruelling. I have a better idea this year of what my body can take and for how long. I figured out my boat is tougher than me. Keep us posted on your adventures.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:47   #27

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Yep, that's the one! And I definitely understand the concern.

SNIP
I have to agree with others that you may not understand.

I sailed to the Dry Tortugas with a buddy boat, a CS44 (which most folks would say is much better suited for a long passage than your boat). While I waited out the unfavorable East winds to leave my buddy had to return for obligations of work. He got caught in bad weather just West of Key West and had to call SeaTow.

Most folks would say sailing from the Key West to Dry Tortugas and back is trivial compared to your plans, yet a much bigger boat than yours got into trouble.

My suggestion is sail to St. George, and back. Next around the Big Bend coast, maybe all the way to Tampa Bay. Or even directly across the Gulf to Tampa Bay. At that point see if your understanding has changed.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 14:32   #28

Tom, note that the OP has not appeared since last December. Perhaps he actually got out and experienced some stiffer weather in his little boat... who knows?

Perhaps, as he intuited, he sank. I hope not, for he seemed like a nice chap!

Jim

Tags
sail, sailing